sglover34479
Aww folk yeah
1,940 IQ
So pit, question. I'm at work the other day just pondering life and whatnot, y'know, work stuff. Anyway I got to thinking and I'm not sure what I feel on this yet, figured you lot were the best ones to ask.

Does a job/task in itself determine it's wages, or should the wages of a task be based upon the worker?

Any monkey can move bricks, but someone you know to be a hard worker might be worth paying more to do the job properly and not take short cuts. Then again, simple labor can be taxing and may merit a higher pay. Maybe it's a stupid question and I should think about work at work.

Thoughts?
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,744 IQ
Quote by sglover34479

Any monkey can move bricks, but someone you know to be a hard worker might be worth paying more to do the job properly and not take short cuts.

On the contrary, the monkey who is lazy and takes short cuts (***while maintaining quality***) is the more valuable one.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sir-Shredalot
Banned
3,918 IQ
Read Adam Smith The Wealth of Nations

In an ideal world we would live in a world without scarcity of supply, while the majority of the work most do is for our own sustinance.

but thats never going to happen.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Mar 18, 2013,
Good Ol' Ramos
UG Newbie
118 IQ
You are paid what a business can afford to spare for your position. Just like on a sports team, specific funds are budgeted towards different jobs.

Want to have the ability to name your price? Be better than everyone around you at everything. Some people say "oh then they'll always expect you to do more than everyone else"... well that's the point. It pays off in the end.
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Quote by magnus_maximus
But I don't wanna be value.

Good cuz you're worthless.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
SunshineMusicO
Spreadin' tha light
343 IQ
Quote by ErikLensherr
Good cuz you're worthless.

dude.....rough....
Quote by CF_Mono
You're value is based on how replaceable you are/dangerous your job is.

Period.

Man, I hate to say it, but that's a very true statement. Though I'll admit, it's a damn shame the world operates like that
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
He knows I'm just joshing >_>
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
Good Ol' Ramos
UG Newbie
118 IQ
Quote by SunshineMusicO
dude.....rough....

Man, I hate to say it, but that's a very true statement. Though I'll admit, it's a damn shame the world operates like that

It doesn't have to, but an unfair majority of people choose not to better themselves, and so the expectations of the average worker slip, along with wages.

I work in a kitchen, and most people there, while they're quite good at their jobs and don't **** around, aren't interested in moving on in the world. They're content with their position, and so there's no urgency from management to keep them around with better pay. Turnover is a factor, too. It's expensive to hire and fire people left and right like most jobs are forced to do.

My last job, I was offered a $2/hr raise to stay after I put in my 2-week notice. Why? Because I determine my value, not them. That's generalized as hell for effect, but hopefully my point is clear.