guitarhero_764
UG Addict
1,375 IQ
Sup guys. I'm sitting here right now listening to music and it's making my brain very happy. I've been trying to focus really hard and figure out what the **** exactly is so good about all these songs I listen to, or how my brain is reacting to the various melodies that would make it a pleasurable experience, but I can't figure it out. Have psychologists/neuroscientists figured this out yet? I'm just curious and I can't seem to google the right words so that it finds that I'm trying to ask.
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
A tumor.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,725 IQ
I ****ing hate music

Seriously, what the **** is wrong with you OP
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
A brain tumor.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
v Smash dat mf
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
Or maybe a butt tumor.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
v Smash dat mf
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
Probably a butt tumor.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
v Smash dat mf
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
Caused by butt cancer.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
v Smash dat mf
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
CaptainCanti
love nectar
1,177 IQ
Its all a conspiracy. Betty White and the Legion of Doom are trying to distract you with mind-controlling music, so that they can attack you at your weakest. They're trying to do it to everybody, so that they can use helium to take over Krypton.
¯\_()_/¯
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,725 IQ
Quote by whywefight
I ****ing hate music

Seriously, what the **** is wrong with you OP

wait

i get it

OP has like throat cancer or something

Edit: it turns out that it was actually a butt tumor.
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
Quote by guitarhero_764
... or how my brain is reacting to the various melodies that would make it a pleasurable experience...

Yup. Dats deff a sing of teh butt cancers.

Which means you've got a butt tumor.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
v Smash dat mf
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
Side effects include bloody hemorrhoids.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
v Smash dat mf
CaptainCanti
love nectar
1,177 IQ
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Yup. Dats deff a sing of teh butt cancers.

Which means you've got a butt tumor.

Quit talking about yourself, and go see a doctor.
¯\_()_/¯
fail
Custom Mandy Moore avatar
1,428 IQ
Quote by ErikLensherr

Not because of some phony god's blessing, but because, he is enlightened by his intelligence.

Does this sound right, TS?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Shadowenspirit
Lady of the Pit
177 IQ
There is a theory that listening to music releases the neurotransmitter dopamine (which is the same chemical that is released when eating, having sex or doing drugs).
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Last edited by Shadowenspirit at Mar 20, 2013,
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
Quote by CaptainCanti
Quit talking about yourself, and go see a doctor.

Do I know you? Unless you're here to convince OP he has the butt cancers, I don't know you. Quit talking to me like I know you.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
v Smash dat mf
Good Ol' Ramos
UG Newbie
118 IQ
Quote by Shadowenspirit
There is a theory that listening to music releases the neurotransmitter dopamine (which is the same chemical that is released when eating, having sex or doing drugs).

18 posts to get to someone that actually finds the topic interesting like I did. Dayum.

I've studied the neuroendocrine system some and I find it fascinating that our thoughts and subsequent actions are sparked by the secretion of a chemical from a gland in the body somewhere.

Just look at nature for an answer. Birds singing, producing the specific frequencies and harmonics that they do, are synonymous with good weather, or just a nice day, synonymous with life of course, since lots of living birds are needed for all those pleasant whistles, etc. etc. etc. Then there's sounds that we associate with trouble. An explosion, a stampede, and so on. Listen to "Bad Horsie" by Steve Vai for a good example of music emulating a natural sound, immediately attaching a thought or emotion to it.
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
1,540 IQ
i think a very specific case of musically induced euphoria is when you can almost anticipate the song's melodic/harmonic/rhythmic movements before it actually gets there. and then when it kind of goes where you expect it to, but there's a twist - or it's completely new to you even though if you think about it afterward, the flow makes perfect sense. it's kind of like exploring new ground, learning of something fantastically new...in the span of seconds.

and even if you do guess right, it feels profound somehow.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
"A study was conducted by researchers at McGill University in Canada. An initial 217 participants were narrowed down to 8 who consistently responded the same way when listening to music regardless of the listening environment.

For the study, the researchers used a combination of PET (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imagining) techniques to scan the brains of the 8 participants as they listened to music over the course of three session. In addition, the participants completed a questionnaire in which they rated how pleasurable they found the music.

This is where it gets a little more technical--the PET scan showed the researchers that dopamine was released in the striatum during peak moments of emotional arousal when listening to the music. The fMRI scan helped show a distinct difference in timing and structures involved--the caudate was active when anticipating the peak emotional arousal and the nucleus accumbens was more involved when actually experiencing the peak emotion.

In layperson's terms? When we 1) anticipate and then 2) actually experience a pleasurable response while listening to music, our brain reacts in distinct and specific ways to release the "feel good" chemical dopamine."

Source: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-musical-self/201101/why-music-listening-makes-us-feel-good
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by SunshineMusicO
Music is the most powerful psychoactive in existence.

I think that's demonstrably not true.
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!
374 IQ
TS on a high listening to S Club 7

Brian will melt when he turns on Pink Floyd
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
Quote by willT08
I think that's demonstrably not true.

i dont think he was talking science
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
Quote by Burgery
i dont think he was talking science

Well, the only other thing he could be talking is shit, then.
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
There was a channel 4 program on this. It was pretty interesting although I found the presenter a bit annoying.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
Quote by TooktheAtrain
Well, the only other thing he could be talking is shit, then.

you seem fun
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff