So i've been on the lookout for a brilliant modern guitarist for a while, and really i haven't found one who can match any of the old legends (Clapton,Hendrix Page, Van Halen, SRV, Etc) and i was wondering who all of your favourite modern guitarists are.

Personally mine are - Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Gary Clark Jr, Davy Knowles and Oli Brown
Kenny Wayne Shepard is fantastic... Definitely one of the best modern guitarists. Joe satriani is probably my favorite modern guitarist
I just recently got into Joe Bonamassa and Derek Trucks - unbelievable musicians! I am also a huge Satriani fan like kangaroojew9. Here's a few others worth checking out:

John5 (Former Marilyn Manson guitarist - this guy can shred. I recommend "Werewolf of Wysteria" to start.)

Eric Sardinas (Blues guitarist, a lot of slide guitar on a resonator. I have his album "Black Pearls" and love the whole CD)

Dave Weiner - back up guitarist for Steve Vai. Check out the song "Tourmaline" off of his first solo record.

Steve Morse (He's old school, but still making killer records - check out the song "Rising Power")

Tommy Emmanuel (Also another old school guy, but in my opinion no one can tear up the acoustic guitar like this guy! Look up "Initiation" on youtube. He does a lot of sound effects for the first 3 minutes, then he moves into the song. I saw him play this live in person 10 years ago and was blown away)
I'd just like to say first that there's no such thing as "best" because it's a matter of personal preference. I know, obvious thing, but the title just bugged me a bit

Now, going on straight off modern i'd probly say Guthrie Govan and Tosin Abasi.

Edit: oh i just remembered this is in Classic Rock, so Guthrie Govan still kinda applies, Tosin not so much though
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Last edited by adamgur96 at Apr 13, 2013,
Guthrie Govan is the best modern guitarist in the world.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
How modern? I consider Jack White to be modern, and he's definitely my favorite guitar player of recent times.
Mark Knopfler is one of my favorites.

Now, define modern. There are guys like Clapton, Beck, etc. who would be modern in the literal sense, as they are still active.
Marcus Tremontius is pretty ****ing good!
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Quote by harrisfan
modern guitarist
lol.

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.