So, I've been looking into getting a new guitar recently, mainly because of alternate tunings if i'm honest.

I mainly play metal, and I decided I wanted another guitar rather than forever changing my tuning from standard/drop D to drop B.. which can't be good. It's worked for me so far though.
As you would guess, from my research, i've pretty much settled on the afore mentioned guitar.
One of main reasons for looking at this guitar is because of action; my current guitar (Ibanez art100DX) has very high action and I would like a guitar with low action.
I should also add that a trem bridge is not a requirement.

I play metal as I said, often using drop tunings such as drop B and drop C.

My price range is about £300, so not too much or too little by the looks of other guitars i've seen.

The reviews of it that i've seen make it sound pretty good, i've tried it in shop and also searched up about the Edge Pro II bridge as due to the reputation of the Edge III

What are your opinions on this buy? Good idea?
If you don't need a locking trem bridge then don't get one. If you do you will be stuck with one tuning, not only that but £300 is a relatively low budget when it comes to buying a locking trem guitar, so you can't expect the best trem in the world.

If I were you I'd look at something with a fixed bridge. If you're really set on it then look into a tremol-no so that you have options (though a tremol-no is not a cheap upgrade when the whole guitar is only costing you £300).

You checked out the RGA32? and perhaps spend the rest on a pickup upgrade.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 5, 2013,
Would it not be possible to change the tuning by loosening the locking nut and retightening it? and yes of course, it wouldn't be brilliant but it could be far worse by the sounds of it.

I would personally prefer a fixed bridge, however I wasn't sure whether those that with fixed bridges I looked at were right for what I was looking for.
Pickup upgrade I think I may leave to the future.

The RGA32 is nice, but the finish really puts me off tbh..
I have to admit one of the things that draws me to the 350 is it's finish and general look.

Also what about other guitars, would a guitar such as a Schecter have similar action to an RG?
Last edited by ambler3 at May 5, 2013,
Quote by ambler3
Would it not be possible to change the tuning by loosening the locking nut and retightening it? and yes of course, it wouldn't be brilliant but it could be far worse by the sounds of it.

I would personally prefer a fixed bridge, however I wasn't sure whether those that with fixed bridges I looked at were right for what I was looking for.
Pickup upgrade I think I may leave to the future.

The RGA32 is nice, but the finish really puts me off tbh..
I have to admit one of the things that draws me to the 350 is it's finish and general look.

Also what about other guitars, would a guitar such as a Schecter have similar action to an RG?

I think the finish is probably what makes the RGA32 so good value for money, the finish on a guitar can often cost more than the body itself, atleast when the body is made from common everyday grade wood, I'd bet some of the lower price of that guitar is saving money on the finish.

I think you need to understand how a locking trem works. The tension on the strings is in direct balance with the tension on the tremolo springs, change the tuning on 1 string and all the other strings will go out of tune. That means you have to setup a locking trem guitar specifically for one tuning, without blocking off the trem completely (or using a system like the tremol-no) it's really not possible to realistically change between tunings.

Unless you really feel you need the trem I'd strongly advise you against a locking trem guitar. Plenty of other good guitar makes out there, not tried any Schecter guitars personally but they're definitely worth a look. You should perhaps really broaden your horizon and look at a wide range of brands. The action on a guitar is not something you can attach to a brand or type of guitar, but rather the individual instrument and the quality of the setup.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I just found an RGA with a white finish at a shop, which is actually about £40 cheaper than the 350 as well..in white, it makes it much more appealing. (I was looking at the natural finish)
However would know as to whether the action of the RG350 and RGA32 would be similar?

Looking at other models of Ibanez, the RGR321EX (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page13.php?area_id=3&data_id=94&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=1&series_id=147) actually seems pretty decent, as does the RGD321 (http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/guitar/electric/ibanez-rd321-bkf-ltd-edition)

Yeah I know, i'm not sticking to Ibanez guitars only, but i'm generally looking for an RG style guitar, with low action and ability to handle drop tuning as the main considerations. Other guitars I would consider could be schecter, ESP or something along those lines.
Last edited by ambler3 at May 5, 2013,
Quote by ambler3
I just found an RGA with a white finish at a shop, which is actually about £40 cheaper than the 350 as well..in white, it makes it much more appealing. (I was looking at the natural finish)
However would know as to whether the action of the RG350 and RGA32 would be similar?

Looking at other models of Ibanez, the RGR321EX (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page13.php?area_id=3&data_id=94&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=1&series_id=147) actually seems pretty decent, as does the RGD321 (http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/guitar/electric/ibanez-rd321-bkf-ltd-edition)

Like I said it depends on the individual guitar, you can have 10 of them and they will all be different. Generally guitars don't get properly setup from the factory (because it takes time, and time is money), nor do they get properly setup in most shops. They will have a basic quick setup and each one will be slightly different, you ideally want to get it properly setup by a skilled guitar tech.

I have a Squier Strat, worth less than £100 that has lower action than pretty much any guitar (even those over £2000 for example) you will find on a shop wall, but that is simply because firstly it's a good find but mainly because it has been well setup.

The chances are whatever RG you buy will have decently low action, but if you want it to be really good you should pay to get it setup by a pro.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Looking at it now, the white RGA isn't a bad option at all. Sorry for my lack of knowledge..i'm fairly new to the electric guitar market, only been playing electric for 6 months or so.

Another question, as i'm looking for low tunings like Drop C, B and possibly even A, would a 7 string be a good idea?
Yes.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Sorry, yes to the 7-string
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Considering your affinity for Ibanez, the only choice in that range is really the RG7421, and if it's anything like it's predecessor, the RG7321 (which I owned), you'll want to stay the hell away from it.

Save up until you have $600 or $700 and go the RGA7
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

The low B was WAAAAAY too muddy, and the pickups weren't really for crap. It wasn't until I screwed up setting up the bridge and had it in C# standard with a high G# (instead of E standard with a low B) that it actually started sounding good.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

If you want low tuning but don't want a 7 string (just as another idea) the RGD321 is designed for low tunings, I had an older model RGD and it was great for low tuned stuff, I regularly played in b# and it was a champ
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
A 7 string would be a nice addition, but then again..the RGD321 does look like a beaut!
Frankly the Schecter (or maybe an ESP m-17) is seeming more attractive to me right now, partially because of the savings..
So much indecision!
Looking at it now, from what i've seen, maybe a 7 string isn't what I need. So that really leaves me with either an:

Ibanez RGA32 £279
Schecter SGR C-1 (partially because it's so cheap!) £179
Ibanez RGD321 (a little expensive for my liking) £350
ESP M-10 (same reasoning as the schecter) £179

Out of these, which would you suggest to be be the best for me, if i'm going to often have it in tunings such as drop B, playing metalcore such as Parkway Drive.
With the cheaper two, it does offer an opportunity to upgrade the bridge pickup because of the low price of the guitar.
If it was me i'd go RGA32, from what I read it should be available in other finishes too http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RGA32 Just go with the one you think is best, all of them are going to be decent.

Bare in mind the RGA32 is an active pickup guitar, (not a bad thing but worth noting).
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 6, 2013,
Action can be adjusted for any guitar. There is no such thing as a guitar that only come with high or low action.

You also don't want to be using this as your main axe if you do change tunings a lot. Switching tunings with any kind of locking vibrato is too much of a pain in the arse; you'll piss off the people you're playing with in practice, let alone how much time it would waste on stage.

"Should I buy" usually just comes down to "do you want it? Yes? Buy it." In this case, however, you'd really be better off with a fixed bridge guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I think that's what i'm settling my mind on frankly. I'll probably get it in white, considering the fact I already have a black LP shaped guitar, i'd I think it'd be better to get one with a white finish.

And in reply to MrFIbble, yes, you are correct in saying that..but I can't achieve action as low as an RG/strat etc. when I have a LP model guitar, which is why i'm looking for a different style guitar
I've now decided against a trem, as it would A) be irritating for tuning and B) I wouldn't find much use for it.