blueser202
10 IQ
Can you guys post any pop songs (radio-kind stuff) that has some strange, jazzy or crazy chords in them?

Some examples are some Beatles songs, but I don't know many more. I love when jazz influences or eastern stuff turns up in mainstream pop, although I don't listen to that music.
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?
314 IQ
Not sure how "pop" it is but Muse's New Born comes to mind. At over six minutes long, the full version is pretty long for a single too. I'm sure their are other Muse examples too.

No strange chords but I remember hearing that Outkast's Hey Ya, has some pretty funky shit going on in the time signature department.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
blueser202
10 IQ
Actually, Amy Winehouse is quite cool in the chord stuff. Muse's Newborn is amazing! I always loved that second chord in the intro, its like:

6th String:0
5th String:1
4th String:2
3rd String:0
2nd String:2
1st String:0

It's like an A7 shape with a B-flat Root or something, i don't know how to call it...
RockAddict311
RockAddict311
141 IQ
Quote by blueser202
Actually, Amy Winehouse is quite cool in the chord stuff. Muse's Newborn is amazing! I always loved that second chord in the intro, its like:

It's like an A7 shape with a B-flat Root or something, i don't know how to call it...

Assuming you ignore the bass E string, it would be an Am4/B, not Bb. The bass B note makes it a slash chord. An A7 is a major chord with a minor 7th.
Cheesepuff
i <3 you
106 IQ
a lot of disco music. Chic was particularly good at hiding jazz chords in pop progressions.

Also, John Mayer
StuartBahn
20 IQ
Try Everything Everything, a truly great pop band from the last few years. Very clever pop.
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a on creating an effective practice regime.
blueser202
10 IQ
I'm gonna cheat and answer in my own thread...but something I found is The Police!

Andy Summers is a very jazz-based player, and alot of his stuff comes from jazz harmony. For example, a popular song like Every Breath You Take is pretty much entirely made up of stacked 5th Chords. For more of Andy's jazzy playing check out this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJCOtG6CF0
20Tigers
50 IQ
Quote by RockAddict311
Quote by blueser202

Assuming you ignore the bass E string, it would be an Am4/B, not Bb. The bass B note makes it a slash chord. An A7 is a major chord with a minor 7th.

Something tells me he labelled the chord upside down. @ RockAddict311 you write the chords like you are the player and have laid the guitar across your lap and are looking down at it - the bass notes at the bottom the treble at the top.
e.g.

e
b 2
g 0
d 2
a 1
E
Si
RockAddict311
RockAddict311
141 IQ
Quote by 20Tigers
Something tells me he labelled the chord upside down. @ RockAddict311 you write the chords like you are the player and have laid the guitar across your lap and are looking down at it - the bass notes at the bottom the treble at the top.
e.g.

e
b 2
g 0
d 2
a 1
E

I've never seen anyone write trebel on the bottom (not to say you can't, you can shit where you eat for all I care) I have used the chord before as I had read it earlier. It does produce a level of dissonance. I would say I labled the chord correctly given how it was displayed.
Last edited by RockAddict311 at May 13, 2013,