dspellman
1,110 IQ
Looks like a proper Gibson Nighthawk is being released for the 20th Anniversary.

The recent reissue was mostly a 2-humbucker thing with the five-way pickup selector stuck BETWEEN the two control knobs. The 20th Anniversary version returns it to where it was on the originals. And the slanted bridge pickup is back.

Now all I want is the same thing in the "Custom" version with the cloud inlays in real MOP on a real Ebony fretboard.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/20th-Anniversary-Nighthawk-Standard.aspx

An original Custom:

Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Is Gibson still using ebony at all? They seem to be taking it out of everything. The LP Custom Lite reissue also had a rosewood fretboard. It looks horrible IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
jpnyc
Banned
1,023 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Is Gibson still using ebony at all? They seem to be taking it out of everything. The LP Custom Lite reissue also had a rosewood fretboard. It looks horrible IMO.

Black ebony has become rare and expensive. Most of the ebony on the market today looks like rosewood anyway, so that might by why Gibson isn’t using it much.
OliOsbourne
545 IQ
Quote by Offworld92

Didn't they get in trouble for importing ebony a while ago?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

HammerParty
1,359 IQ
I believe the guy from Taylor has the monopoly on ebony right now. There's lots of ebony available but the pure black stuff is extremely rare and most is dyed black to hide the discoloration from most ebony. But the pure black stuff is beautiful. The guy from Taylor is trying to preserve it so we can have it again in years to come, much later though.
&baconstrips
601 IQ
Is the neck pickup ring chrome? Whose fucking idea was that on an all gold hardware guitar?
Kenneth
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Those are ugly guitars, I'd rather have a BC Rich............
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
Always thought it looked like someone used a Les Paul as a pogo stick.
David Stein
Banned
220 IQ
Quote by dspellman
Now all I want is ... on a real Ebony fretboard.
That's some good looking flamed maple on that guitar in the first image, but would rather have it on a different model. Hadn't heard of the Nighthawk before you created this thread.

I'm not sure Gibson is using ebony on anything but their higher end guitars and even then I'm not sure about those. If memory serves me correct my 1991 Gibson Firebird V reissue had an ebony fingerboard but I might be confusing it with another guitar of the many I owned back then. One or two Firebirds from 1991 that I've seen have a ebony fingerboard. Or at least it looks like ebony in the pictures.

It would just like to see Gibson get their quality control issues resolved on guitars in the $1,500 - $2,000 range. Even some of the higher end custom shop (actually production line guitars with extra tweaking) have some issues periodically.
Last edited by David Stein at May 23, 2013,
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks
985 IQ
Never really been a fan of the hawk. But, never played one either.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
dspellman
1,110 IQ
Quote by &baconstrips
Is the neck pickup ring chrome? Whose fucking idea was that on an all gold hardware guitar?

No, it's gold.
dspellman
1,110 IQ
Quote by jpnyc
Black ebony has become rare and expensive. Most of the ebony on the market today looks like rosewood anyway, so that might by why Gibson isn’t using it much.

Gibson's still using (and still has) some ebony, but they've mostly been leaning toward cheaper guitars (the high-end stuff has seen declining sales) and toward making their cheaper guitars look like the higher-end guitars. Thus you'll get rosewood and plastic inlays on guitars that normally have ebony and MOP. Or you'll get plastic (Richlite) and plastic instead of the ebony and MOP.

Taylor hasn't collared the entire ebony market -- he's just done that with the last large-scale source on the planet. Other sources have been put on the endangered list and will probably remain there with only modest amounts coming out of those countries until it's re-established. Most ebony (about 80%) is streaked, light and dark. Because the demand has been for the fully black ebony, those trees have been left to rot after felling (you can't tell what the color is until the tree is down).

Surprisingly, customers of some manufacturers are clamoring for the streaked/lighter ebony for fretboards, claiming that it's the best of both worlds; a lighter color (or streak) for the maple fretboard fans, but with the fine grain, hardness, snap and lack of need for a finish that ebony boasts. Carvin customers have actually been *requesting* that Carvin get in some of the streaked and lighter ebony for their guitars.

Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Quote by David Stein

It would just like to see Gibson get their quality control issues resolved on guitars in the $1,500 - $2,000 range. Even some of the higher end custom shop (actually production line guitars with extra tweaking) have some issues periodically.

What like every other guitar company that build on a similar scale to Gibson?

Source?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
dspellman
1,110 IQ
Quote by Fallenoath
Never really been a fan of the hawk. But, never played one either.

If you're expecting a Les Paul-ish experience, you'll be disappointed. This is a completely different guitar.

It's lighter, for starters, and the body is smaller. There's a tummy cut.

The neck pickup (a minihumbucker) is far less muddy than an LPs and, coupled with the longer scale (25.5" on these guitars) gives you a much more piano-like sound from the bottom end. The minihumbucker is far more focused (the length of string -- and the percentage of the total string length -- cutting flux lines on that pickup is shorter and there are fewer phase effects with the coils closer together). The single coil in the middle is hotter than that in most strats, and the "tilted" humbucker at the bridge will give you a bit more snap at the treble end.

In the end, you have a MUCH wider range of sounds than on any LP, and they're more like something between a strat and an LP with a definite nod toward the strat side of things.

Any of the pickups can be replaced or modified (SD has replacements for the bridge pickup, for example, or can wind you something custom).

All in all, a helluva guitar. It's going to be interesting to try out an Epiphone Nighthawk Custom against the Gibson Nighthawk Standard; the Epis are only about $399 new and these will be four times that or so.
dspellman
1,110 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
What like every other guitar company that build on a similar scale to Gibson?

Source?

I don't think you're seeing Gibsons in the quantities that we are here in the US. I've got either seven or nine Guitar Denters within moderate driving distance here in LA, plus a number of other dealers in town. Perhaps the quality issues that we're seeing here aren't apparent in the same proportions that you see in the You Kay. And perhaps you have dealers who are actually rejecting the problem kids before they get hung on the wall. I'm not saying that your opinion doesn't count -- just that it may not have the same input that we do.
samuraigoomba
491 IQ
I can't believe a company like Gibson is missing the whole point of Ebony. I don't buy Ebony fretboard guitars for how they look, I buy them for how they feel on my fingers. I don't give a shit if the fretboard is bright orange, as long as it's ebony smooth.

Dammit how can Agile use ebony fretboards on their cheapo guitars, but Gibson won't use ebony on a $1000 guitar.
dspellman
1,110 IQ
Quote by David Stein
That's some good looking flamed maple on that guitar in the first image, but would rather have it on a different model. Hadn't heard of the Nighthawk before you created this thread.

I'm not sure Gibson is using ebony on anything but their higher end guitars and even then I'm not sure about those.

This may be part of the reason that all but one of my Gibsons are pre-1980 at the moment. All of my LPs (four) have ebony fretboards/MOP inlays. Both the L5S and the L6S (70's) and all the archtops have ebony f/b, etc. The only Gibbies I have with rosewood are the '49 ES-175 and the two 335s.

The Nighthawks were issued first in the '90's (discontinued in 1998) and had mahogany bodies with maple tops. Gibson reissued Nighthawks beginning around 2009 (I believe). Some of these had chambered Poplar bodies.
dspellman
1,110 IQ
Quote by samuraigoomba

Dammit how can Agile use ebony fretboards on their cheapo guitars, but Gibson won't use ebony on a $1000 guitar.

Gibson has traditionally used ebony/MOP on their highest end guitars and rosewood on their cheapos and middle-level guitars. When the collectors and baby boomers began to pay big bucks for reproductions of the middle-of-the-line LP Standard, rosewood and plastic inlays began to appear on high-priced guitars as well. This thrills the hell out of Gibson, because it's cheaper. The Juniors and Specials, for example, were considered their student and entry level guitars (dot inlays, no binding, etc.). To see a brand new Junior commanding the prices they do is strange to me.

The Agile AL3XXX series mimicks the Custom Gibsons, so the binding, fretboard woods and inlays are top notch. They honestly don't build as many guitars as Gibson does; maybe they have an easier time sourcing the wood.

Carvin has made ebony its standard fretboard wood since the 60's, with maple the second choice and rosewood not even in the picture until the '90's. They don't use plastic for inlays at all.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
I wonder where ESP gets their ebony. They seem to pump it out just fine and dandy year after year.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
They dye it and polish it.

So they dot mind if its slightly browner. My old PH600 was clearly dyed ebony, lovely tight grain, but unnaturally dark and reflective.

Was gorgeous.

I played a few Horizons with the most incredible boards, could see reflections of lights and shapes in them. Felt and played like glass.

I do love me some ebony.

Though the cheaper Richlite stuff is very very close to a similar feel and looks great IMO.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Ah, yeah that makes sense.

I agree it does look amazing though.

Dye is good as long as it's not cheap. My $100 classical has dye that would come off on your fingers... absolutely horrible.

My fretless Ibanez bass has some kind of fretboard... not sure exactly what it is. I don't think it's wood, but it's not black anymore under where the strings are.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Yeah, dye can be a pain.

I know the new chapmans have a nice finger staining ebony board.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70