Page 1 of 3
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/deputy-woman-shot-at-costco-in-loudoun-county/2013/05/29/e5c4656a-c897-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html
Now I know not everybody in law enforcement does but it seems to happen alot like the above article an officer attempts to taze or mace someone and then when they don't immediately surrender they start unloading their clips in a shoot to kill fashion rather then aiming for the legs/arms with the weapon to disable the threat.
They don´t always use lethal force. If they did, then a large portion of the population would be dead by now. This is a thing that happens every so many weeks/months, but gets highlighted in the media (for good reasons).
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by CaptainCanti
Because cops don't give two shits.

I bet that fat one above you gives quite a bit more than two.
ayy lmao
Guns aren't about disabling people. If there's a situation where you need someone disabled, you use the proper equipment. When a cop pulls out his gun, the situation has escalated to an extreme point and it's time for some lethal force. Shoot to kill, nothing less.
Quote by Neo Evil11
They don´t always use lethal force. If they did, then a large portion of the population would be dead by now. This is a thing that happens every so many weeks/months, but gets highlighted in the media (for good reasons).

I know it's not something that happens every time but it seems to be getting more common.
Quote by Androidjoey
I know it's not something that happens every time but it seems to be getting more common.

criminals are getting weaker.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Androidjoey

No, it's just being highlighted more in the media. I bet that it actually was more common when the Police weren't under such a strict surveillance. Now if it happens you have the media and Internal affairs on your ass.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Because you yanks are all gung-ho, shoot-now-ask-questions-later types.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Weaponized
Guns aren't about disabling people. If there's a situation where you need someone disabled, you use the proper equipment. When a cop pulls out his gun, the situation has escalated to an extreme point and it's time for some lethal force. Shoot to kill, nothing less.

"Two deputies went to the store to check a report of a disorderly person and used a Taser to try to subdue the woman, Loudoun Sheriff Michael Chapman said. But the woman kept advancing, so one of the deputies fired at her and killed her, the sheriff said."
I don't know about you but in this situation it seems there was still plenty of opportunities to disarm or disable without the use of lethal force .
Quote by Androidjoey
"Two deputies went to the store to check a report of a disorderly person and used a Taser to try to subdue the woman, Loudoun Sheriff Michael Chapman said. But the woman kept advancing, so one of the deputies fired at her and killed her, the sheriff said."
I don't know about you but in this situation it seems there was still plenty of opportunities to disarm or disable without the use of lethal force .

Did she have a weapon? What kind of pussy would kill a tasered disorderly woman.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Do you know how hard it is to aim for a limb with a gun? It isn't a damn video game.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Do you know how hard it is to aim for a limb with a gun? It isn't a damn video game.

Read it in Batman's voice
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Did she have a weapon? What kind of pussy would kill a tasered disorderly woman.

Apparently a pizza knife which is the reason i made this because for the most part the incidents like this usually happen with knives or pizza cutters and they feel the need to shoot to kill with little thought but when say a local gunman shot up a school near me even wounded a few kids the cops talked the shotgun wielding fiend into letting down his guard long enough for a disarm but when it's some dazed person with a sharp object it's open season.
Quote by Androidjoey
Apparently a pizza knife which is the reason i made this because for the most part the incidents like this usually happen with knives or pizza cutters and they feel the need to shoot to kill with little thought but when say a local gunman shot up a school near me even wounded a few kids the cops talked the shotgun wielding fiend into letting down his guard long enough for a disarm but when it's some dazed person with a sharp object it's open season.

Ah see this changes it. If you search hard you might find another thread that had been on UG that discussed the problem with knifes. I can't be bothered to search it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Ah see this changes it. If you search hard you might find another thread that had been on UG that discussed the problem with knifes. I can't be bothered to search it.

Eh too tired to search, but that was my main issue with this shooting.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Read it in Batman's voice

If aiming for limbs was easy than my parents would still be alive!

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2

Quote by rockingamer2

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Androidjoey
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/deputy-woman-shot-at-costco-in-loudoun-county/2013/05/29/e5c4656a-c897-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html
Now I know not everybody in law enforcement does but it seems to happen alot like the above article an officer attempts to taze or mace someone and then when they don't immediately surrender they start unloading their clips in a shoot to kill fashion rather then aiming for the legs/arms with the weapon to disable the threat.

It's a magazine, not a clip.

And the article says the tazer didn't stop her. She still posed a lethal threat, so they used lethal force. What's the problem?

When you're in a situation where your life is at stake, especially one where a threat is closing the gap on you, you're going to be trying to put as many shots into the chest/neck/head of the person as possible... Not playing John Wayne and shooting the gun out of their hand.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at May 30, 2013,
Quote by Skynyrd890
It's a magazine, not a clip.

And the article says the tazer didn't stop her. She still posed a lethal threat, so they used lethal force. What's the problem?

When you're in a situation where your life is at stake, especially one where a threat is closing the gap on you, you're going to be trying to put as many shots into the chest/neck/head of the person as possible... Not playing John Wayne and shooting the gun out of their hand.

The woman was tasered and kept coming at them with a knife.
Police are trained to shot at the torso area in this type of situation, its far easier to hit. Whereas if they just tried to shoot the knife out of her hand, a much smaller target and may have missed, possibly hitting an innocent bystander.

The woman (according to the report anyway) still represented a deadly threat.
I see no problem.
Why is everyone against the police in this situation when they really should be against the crazy old pizza lady who came at them with a goddamn knife?
They don't "always" use lethal force. You only think they do because the media doesn't report an officers proper use of less lethal force. It's not news worthy, violence is.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by naedauuf
They don't "always" use lethal force. You only think they do because the media doesn't report an officers proper use of less lethal force. It's not news worthy, violence is.

'Breaking news: Police don't kill a criminal'

not a great headline.
ayy lmao
Quote by rockingamer2

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Masquirina

Sweet. I'd been wondering about the law enforcement perspective of the "excessive shots" claims that always come up when officer involved shootings happen.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
A person attacking cops with a weapon, what else do you expect them to do? They're humans, too, and can very easily be injured or killed. I sure as hell wouldn't risk not being able to go home to my family just because of some maniac with a pizza cutter.

Had the taser stopped her, they wouldn't have had to shoot. They tried to subdue her first, it's not like they went and opened fire right away.

EDIT: oh yeah and as people have said, even people who have never shot a gun in their lives know you don't shoot someone thinking they'll just be injured. Shots to the leg can just as easily kill people, anyways.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 30, 2013,
Quote by Weaponized

Yup. That's how they are trained. If it gets to the point where they have to draw on someone, there is usually a pretty good reason for them to shooting them. If they just wanted to disable someone, they would have used pepper spray or a taser (which they carry, at least every cop I have ever seen has had pepper spray, a taser and some type of batton).

From reading the story the OP posted, I don't blame the cop at all. If somebody has a knife and they don't drop it when I tell them to, I'm shooting. Given the fact that the average human can close and engage 8 yards in 2 seconds...I'm not taking that chance.

And to the people who will say knives can't do that much damage, you should look up some AARs of people getting stabbed and slashed. That's some SERIOUS damage.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by rockingamer2
Sweet. I'd been wondering about the law enforcement perspective of the "excessive shots" claims that always come up when officer involved shootings happen.

I'm no tactical expert, but I've done a fair amount of tactical training with some law enforcement and military types and the one thing that they drill into your head the entire time is "keep shooting until the threat stops". You aim at the upper chest and keep shooting until they go down.

Also, you have to factor in the "pucker factor" - until it happens, you have no idea how you are going to act under stress. There have been tons of studies about some pretty hardcore dudes that have spent their entire lives training for combat situations that have ended up shitting their pants the second they are actually shot at for real and totally freeze up and freak out. So keeping that in mind, how do you think the average cop with virtually no combat training is going to react in a situation like that?

There are going to do what everyone else does - freak out and empty the magazine.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Its just a bit of #Bantz
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by homeless-john
Why is everyone against the police in this situation when they really should be against the crazy old pizza lady who came at them with a goddamn knife?

a goddamn BREADKNIFE!
Quote by Neo Evil11
No, it's just being highlighted more in the media. I bet that it actually was more common when the Police weren't under such a strict surveillance. Now if it happens you have the media and Internal affairs on your ass.

Absolutely this, the statistics of gun crimes in the US is also significantly lower than it was in the 90's, but it has become part of the national media's interest instead of the localized media's. The general populous is just the right amount of stupid to believe that more coverage=more instances.
Quote by SMH07
Its just a bit of #Bantz

Stop talking about #Bantz all the time, you sociopath.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I love how logic goes out the window when a justifiable incident takes place but because it happened in the states some people still go "hur dur, stupid fat 'muricans"

If you wave a knife at a police officer, and they tell you to put it down and get to the point where they have to taze you and you still don't take them seriously, then I'd say that taking you out as a threat was the right thing to do in the interest of protecting themselves and others.

It's not like this lady was just standing there with a knife, from what I've read, she was actively threatening officers, and she refused to give up after they attempted non-lethal force, so lethal force would be the next step to subduing the threat.
Quote by rolandroi
a goddamn BREADKNIFE!

A knife is a knife, if you're threatening a P.O. with something that resembles a weapon they will treat it as though it is a weapon. You'd be surprised how similar some sawblade survival knifes look to a large breadknife.
Quote by tukk04
I love how logic goes out the window when a justifiable incident takes place but because it happened in the states some people still go "hur dur, stupid fat 'muricans"

If you wave a knife at a police officer, and they tell you to put it down and get to the point where they have to taze you and you still don't take them seriously, then I'd say that taking you out as a threat was the right thing to do in the interest of protecting themselves and others.

It's not like this lady was just standing there with a knife, from what I've read, she was actively threatening officers, and she refused to give up after they attempted non-lethal force, so lethal force would be the next step to subduing the threat.

A knife is a knife, if you're threatening a P.O. with something that resembles a weapon they will treat it as though it is a weapon. You'd be surprised how similar some sawblade survival knifes look to a large breadknife.

Lethal force is rarely necessary though, even in a situation like that. American police seem too happy to shoot to kill instead of aiming at less lethal areas of the body that'd stop them.
Page 1 of 3