Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
Alright, so my summer job starts in more or less 2 weeks, and I've dedicated this summer to buying pedals and maybe a used hollow body or a usable strat. So my question, is what type of pedals should I be focusing on first, since I plan to have a pretty significant pedal collection by the end of the summer.

Budget: Around $250/week from my job and a little added extra when its my birthday.

Genres: Blues rock and classic rock.

New or used: Honestly idc if it is new or used, as long as it works.

Closest city: Montreal, Canada.

Current Gear: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Blues Deluxe, Fulltone OCD and Dunlop GCB95. With 2 cables, so I'd need to factor that into the budget.

Basically my plan so far is:
Looper (Looking at the Jam Man and Ditto)
Delay (Catalinbread Ecorec <-- Probably butchered that name)
Chorus
Fuzz or Tube Screamer
Octave (Micro POG or something similar)
???
Get off my ass and make a pedal board.

Tl;Dr: I'm looking to make a decent pedal collection and then make a pedal board. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
souperman08
2,861 IQ
Fair advance warning, you might hate this advice.

It sounds to me like you don't really know what you want. Jumping into the world of pedals and buying stuff based on "I heard a lot of guys use this effect/pedal/sound/etc" will result in you spending (and wasting) a ton of money. What I would do if I was in your shoes would be to get a Line 6 M9. You have a looper, tons of delay models, modulation (chorus, trem, and the like), plus a ton of very good-sounding effects. Try it out, and see what effects you actually want to incorporate into your rig, and then you can buy those pedals (and probably keep the M9. Seriously, it sounds amazing and has a setup unlike any other multi-fx).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
1,824 IQ
I respectfully disagree on the M9.

Every pedal kind (overdrive, drive, delay...) is different, even being of the same kind,
a pedalboard of that kind will just give you an idea of how the effect works/sounds.

I'd go to the nearest music store and try two or three pedals of the same type at first, and then try (literally) every pedal of that type you can find.
An example of the different pedals you can find is with drives - there is the Boss DS-1, and then there is the Fulltone OCD. Both drive pedals, but really different.

If you feel some pedals are just too expensive for you, then try going for some cheap and non-famous branded (but still good :P) brands, like Joyo.
Thought they will probably not be 100% what you're looking for, they'll give you 90% of that for half the price.

About the cables thing, buy a soldering iron, some tin, some jack leads, and a lot of shielded cable, and build what you need, it's pretty easy actually.
I'd buy the cable from guitarfetish if you need a lot, maybe to make yourself some new long cables, and the solderless jack leads, also from guitarfetish, if you don't feel like using the soldering iron.

The pedalboard could be very different based on what you want, but that's usually a hard case with the pedals attached inside with velcro or screws. The first is usually better.
If you want something like that you should also get yourself an isolated power supply so the thing doesn't end up buzzy, and with that you can also spare some batteries and some work to replace them - it can be pretty annoying in some pedals.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)
4,852 IQ
Micro POG is a solid choice if you just want a standard Octave effect.
Delay I would look at the Strymon El Cap, because if I could, I'd marry mine.

Fuzz depends on what kind of thing you like? Any particular fuzz tones you're in to?
Check some demos on PGS as well, generally a good jumping off point.

For the board, grab an Ikea GORM shelf, pretty solid start.

What were you thinking for a power supply? No point in getting a bunch of nice pedals and then wasting your time with a crappy power supply.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
Quote by souperman08
Fair advance warning, you might hate this advice.

It sounds to me like you don't really know what you want. Jumping into the world of pedals and buying stuff based on "I heard a lot of guys use this effect/pedal/sound/etc" will result in you spending (and wasting) a ton of money.

Not exactly jumping into the world of pedals though. When buying my dirt pedal (Fulltone OCD), I must have done around 20+ hours of research/watching videos on dirt pedals until I found a few I liked. Then I annoyed the hell out of the people at the local music store, only to buy it in the US cheaper.

Quote by souperman08
What I would do if I was in your shoes would be to get a Line 6 M9.

I'll try it out, but with my experiences at the store, I prefer boutique pedals to multi effect ones.

Quote by Spambot_2

I'd go to the nearest music store and try two or three pedals of the same type at first, and then try (literally) every pedal of that type you can find.

About the cables thing, buy a soldering iron, some tin, some jack leads, and a lot of shielded cable, and build what you need, it's pretty easy actually.
I'd buy the cable from guitarfetish if you need a lot, maybe to make yourself some new long cables, and the solderless jack leads, also from guitarfetish, if you don't feel like using the soldering iron.

The pedalboard could be very different based on what you want, but that's usually a hard case with the pedals attached inside with velcro or screws. The first is usually better.
If you want something like that you should also get yourself an isolated power supply so the thing doesn't end up buzzy, and with that you can also spare some batteries and some work to replace them - it can be pretty annoying in some pedals.

I went around trying all the dirt pedals before I got mine, so I'll definitely be doing that on a day where I'm not working. Only problem is that the stores that sell the pedals (and have a good reputation) are a 20-25 minute drive if no one else is on the highway.

I don't really have access, not trust my self with soldering, but I'll see if I can find someone I know that can make me wires. In the other case I do have access to a work shop, with a moderate amount of tools to work with, so a hard case could be a viable option.

Quote by SimplyBen
Micro POG is a solid choice if you just want a standard Octave effect.
Delay I would look at the Strymon El Cap, because if I could, I'd marry mine.

Fuzz depends on what kind of thing you like? Any particular fuzz tones you're in to?
Check some demos on PGS as well, generally a good jumping off point.

For the board, grab an Ikea GORM shelf, pretty solid start.

What were you thinking for a power supply? No point in getting a bunch of nice pedals and then wasting your time with a crappy power supply.

I'll check those out, and I've been looking at PGS videos for ages.
I'll look into the Ikea shelf later on.

As for the power supply, I didn't really start looking into them. Atm, I was just gonna get a daisy chain since it would work with only have a few pedals. (Unless the guy at the store just wanted my money and lied to me)
AndyGray
UG Addict
1,267 IQ
I would really really buy used pedals. They work out cheaper obviously, but after reading 1000's of reviews & listening to samples and you dislike it when you eventually get it. You can sell it on and it's only cost you a few dollars.
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)
4,852 IQ
Daisy Chain is alright, but some fuzzes don't like it, and you might run out of mA for some pedals, plus there's the noise issue.

You'd be much better off splashing out and getting something with isolated outputs.

As far as fuzzes go, take a look at the Earthquaker Devices Hoof, it's my fave of all the ones I've used.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

AndyGray
UG Addict
1,267 IQ
Quote by SimplyBen
Daisy Chain is alright, but some fuzzes don't like it, and you might run out of mA for some pedals, plus there's the noise issue.

You'd be much better off splashing out and getting something with isolated outputs.

As far as fuzzes go, take a look at the Earthquaker Devices Hoof, it's my fave of all the ones I've used.

A delay & an OD pedal causes problems. I think it may be analog delays only, but my rig does it with both a daisy chain & an isolated PSU.

BUY A NOISE GATE! Best thing I've ever bought!
Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
I'll look into a noise gate and what not. I'm gonna periodically update this when I get new pedals/have time to post in pedals I am interested in for advice, and experience, since I'm still a pedal noob.

Nonetheless, I'll check out the suggestions so far.

Just wondering, is there a pedal that makes humbuckers sound like single coil? My LP doesn't have coil splitting, which sucks.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
This might be shitty advice but personally I've never had as much fun as when I've bought a pedal, used it loads and then got bored with it and got a new one, and repeated this many times, with many pedals at at the same time.

It's a great thing to waste money on. It's clean, wholesome fun. Try loads in the shop, buy loads, just stay away from the shitty ones, unless you like them!

What I'm saying is, you'll have to go through quite a few before you actually find pedals that are keepers, part of the fun is buying them and playing with them, learning about them. You need to spend money to do this.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

blything09
223 IQ
If you wanna check out other delays the Electro harmonix memory man with hazarai and Line 6 DL4 are pretty good and they both have a looper built in aswell! but if you really want a loop pedal i'd suggest the Boss Rc20xl or the jam man. For a chorus I'd suggest a small clone and for a fuzz you can't go wrong with a Big muff or a Swollen pickle.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
Hmm, I'm just thinking, would it be interesting to get a Tube Screamer on top of the OCD or is that overkill to get an overdriven blues sound?
Green_Ghoul
3,307 IQ
I really like the Ditto looper. It's easy to use...The only problem is that there isn't any way to save loops onto the pedal like with a jamman or something. It's no problem because I just plug it into my recording software and I'm done.
ragingkitty
meow?
1,727 IQ
Quote by Wicer
I'll look into a noise gate and what not. I'm gonna periodically update this when I get new pedals/have time to post in pedals I am interested in for advice, and experience, since I'm still a pedal noob.

Nonetheless, I'll check out the suggestions so far.

Just wondering, is there a pedal that makes humbuckers sound like single coil? My LP doesn't have coil splitting, which sucks.

Why don't you just rewire it using DPDT pots?

For delay, a Flashback is hard to beat for the price.

Also, the SP Compressor is a surprisingly useful tool. I've never really had a use for a compressor, but I find it useful for light compression to even out the occasional hard string strikes.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I K0nijn I
1,040 IQ
I'd get a Flashback X4 for delay and looper.
The looper in it is very hands-on and is decent enough for a quick jam, the delays are great, in my opinion. More types of delay than you'd ever need and it has good routing options.

I wouldn't even consider getting rid of mine at this moment.
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Vulcan
166 IQ
Dude,
Don't listen to anyone here. Spend every Saturday at Moog Audio with your guitar and one of their boutique amps. Try every one of their pedals, and buy the ones you like. They have the most incredible selection of pedals you've seen.
Partscaster
National ResoLectric
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Eastman AR605e
Republic Tricone resonator
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Godin ACS SA ltd. ed.
3 Monkeys Orangutan head & 2x12 cab
Swart STR Tweed
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run
2,898 IQ
Quote by Wicer

Chorus
Fuzz or Tube Screamer
???

Looper - Boss RC3 - $160 (I know it's not a ditto/jamman, but they're great loopers)
Delay - Catalin Echorec - $215
Chorus - DOD stereo chorus - $50
Fuzz - there's a lot of different flavours of fuzz, could you give us a few examples of what kind of sound you're looking for? there's a big difference between a tonebender, a fuzz face and a big muff, but they're all fuzzes.
Tubecreamer - check out this Tube Works Blue tube - $175
Octave - Boss PS-6 - $60
~or~ a Boss OC-2
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
ibanart300
786 IQ
Quote by Wicer

Basically my plan so far is:
Chorus
Fuzz or Tube Screamer
???

Looper: T.C. Electronic Ditto
Delay: Strymon Timeline
Chorus: Analogman Bi Chorus
Fuzz: Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
TS: Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive Mod
Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
Quote by ragingkitty
Why don't you just rewire it using DPDT pots?

For delay, a Flashback is hard to beat for the price.

Also, the SP Compressor is a surprisingly useful tool. I've never really had a use for a compressor, but I find it useful for light compression to even out the occasional hard string strikes.

I don't really want to rewire it because my humbucker guitar is a Gibson LP, and I really don't want to mess it up. Especially considering the action is perfect for what I use it for. But I'll look into a compressor though I never really figured I needed one.

Quote by Vulcan
Dude,
Don't listen to anyone here. Spend every Saturday at Moog Audio with your guitar and one of their boutique amps. Try every one of their pedals, and buy the ones you like. They have the most incredible selection of pedals you've seen.

I've been there before so I definitely agree with you on their pedal size. I went to try out Egnator amps there since the rest of the city decided not to sell them, though usually I go to Steves because of the somewhat easier access to a parking spot.

---
As for the pedal suggestions, I'm writing them down and gonna go to a music store when my next pay check comes in.
Last edited by Wicer at Jun 16, 2013,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
You don't have to touch the setup to wire in a new pot. There's an inspection plate on the back of the guitar. You go in through there. Even if you were to change pickups you don't have to touch the setup, all you have to do is loosen off the strings and unscrew the pup rings. The earth strap to the bridge doesn't have to be touched at the bridge end - once you get the pups in it's all done from the back.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
Hmm if it helps, I'm looking for a versatile fuzz. Something to go from Hendrix to Rory Gallagher to Gary Clark Jr.
ibanart300
786 IQ
Quote by Wicer
Hmm if it helps, I'm looking for a versatile fuzz. Something to go from Hendrix to Rory Gallagher to Gary Clark Jr.

In that case maybe a Analogman Astrotone Fuzz and a Fulltone Octafuzz.
Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
I was looking at the Octafuzz actually, but the Musket by Blackout seems versatile enough to cover what I want to do. Nonetheless, I'm gonna try and head over to the music store and try out some pedals soon.
7thString
UG's fly on the wall
260 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
This might be shitty advice but personally I've never had as much fun as when I've bought a pedal, used it loads and then got bored with it and got a new one, and repeated this many times, with many pedals at at the same time.

It's a great thing to waste money on. It's clean, wholesome fun. Try loads in the shop, buy loads, just stay away from the shitty ones, unless you like them!

What I'm saying is, you'll have to go through quite a few before you actually find pedals that are keepers, part of the fun is buying them and playing with them, learning about them. You need to spend money to do this.

ken oath
Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
Just picked up the Ditto Looper today after visiting the music store! 3 pedals and my little guitar area is already a mess of wires.

telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead
488 IQ
Everyone getting Dittos is making me jelly. Looks like a tasty little set up though mate
Wicer
Another Guitar Player...
445 IQ
Quote by telemetal
Everyone getting Dittos is making me jelly. Looks like a tasty little set up though mate

Thanks man, it is a great pedal considering how simple it is. And it doesn't suck the tone away very much, which is great!

Just thinking about the order of my pedals. Atm, I have Guitar --> OCD --> GCB-95 --> Ditto --> Amp

Considering that I use the drive channel on my amp and the OCD to accompany it until I can buy a Tube Screamer or some other sort of over drive, should I put the Ditto in the FX loop?
And I'm guessing that the Wah should come before the dirt pedal too?
jonthomas83
254 IQ
Ditto in the loop! Nice setup mate.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender '62 Reissue JPN Telecaster
Yamaha AES500

Mesa Single Rectifier w/2x12 Mesa Rectifier cab
Fender '94 Twin Amp