man_suits
and stuff...
135 IQ
Well to be short: I have spent the last year of my life living in Israel for school purposes. I got extremely used to it, and I loved living there.

I have been home ever since the end of May, and while this is plenty of time to get adjusted back to home life I'm not settling back in like I should be. Doing things and being places I used to operate within quite normally around here feel extremely foreign to me now. I mostly walk around my own home feeling like an outsider. I'm not really sure how to address this in a healthy way (still have no clue why I'm taking it to the pit).

Summed up: I've heard of culture shock when going to a new place, but I have never heard of reentry shock before. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? If so what are some healthy steps one could take to get adjusted back to living at home?
guitarist41
DiscoSucks****Everything
1,812 IQ
Hey, I saw your avatar open for my avatar.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Masquirina
Boomer Lives in a Pumpkin
130 IQ
Sorry I have no idea. But what is the main difference between the two places? People? Traditions? Houses?
man_suits
and stuff...
135 IQ
Quote by Masquirina
Sorry I have no idea. But what is the main difference between the two places? People? Traditions? Houses?

Things like people's outlook, etc are in some ways similar, but different at the same time. It's hard to explain. Leaving there though was very painful, because at the end of the year it was every bit of home to me. I just can't quite put my finger on why though.
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,304 IQ
maybe you shouldn't have stayed somewhere the army is free to detain 5 yr olds
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ali priori / Ali posteriori
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Jesus christ Ali is a nutcase

I actually feel sorry for him, like seriously, get help
man_suits
and stuff...
135 IQ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
maybe you shouldn't have stayed somewhere the army is free to detain 5 yr olds

Not really interested in a "who's is bigger" political debate. Doesn't really pertain to the topic at hand.
Masquirina
130 IQ
Could this be the difference between a generally academic environment and a non-academic environment? There's usually a discrepancy between the two around the world. City vs. rural? Edgy vs. lackadaisical atmosphere? Llamas vs. Goats?
Not enough details to know, but good luck with the re-adapting process.
Emptywordsbass
27 IQ
It is totally normal to feel culture shock when transitioning from one culture to another, even if you used to be accustomed to the one that now feels alien.
kertets
Banned
80 IQ
I get the same thing when I've been sitting on the toilet too long and move back to the living room. Everything's strangely familiar but somehow I feel lost. You know?
zenbone
King of two things...
1,385 IQ
i went through the same thing when i returned from a year in South Korea. Your mind plays tricks on you as to how you remember home and actual home. you will get back into the swing of things just give it time. It took me a while!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
man_suits
and stuff...
135 IQ
Quote by zenbone
i went through the same thing when i returned from a year in South Korea. Your mind plays tricks on you as to how you remember home and actual home. you will get back into the swing of things just give it time. It took me a while!

Yeah man thanks! I've just been kind of worried that I'm putting too much thought into the whole thing. It's good to know though that it is somewhat normal from what I've been hearing.
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
omg your signature has doubled
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Masquirina
130 IQ
It probably won't be a problem for much longer if you stay. Is anything happening to you directly that never happens in the other place, or that might've only affected you but not others? Well, I don't know anything about culture shock, but it seems fairly common and you'll probably be back to normal soon.
man_suits
and stuff...
135 IQ
Quote by Masquirina
It probably won't be a problem for much longer if you stay. Is anything happening to you directly that never happens in the other place, or that might've only affected you but not others? Well, I don't know anything about culture shock, but it seems fairly common and you'll probably be back to normal soon.

Th daily routine is completely different. I developed some pretty strong friendships while being there. I was just content. It's just adjusting to not having something I was used to.

I do plan on trying to go back here in a few years when I finish graduate school... So that's good.
XODEMONDEVILXO
32 IQ
it may also have to do with the independence you felt while in israel, I am sure that you were alone a lot of the time, and had more freedoms, so to speak. It may be that because of this, you have outgrown your old home, and your old lifestyle. Just try to mix things up and keep doing new stuff!
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
A friend of mine went to australia for 2 years, and when he returned he had depression and crazy nightmares constantly.

He now stil lives here as of 2 years and just finished his first year at uni. Everything is back to normal he feels. Though he did change, but what doesn't ya know.

Give it a few weeks or months, and just go out a bit and have fun.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
man_suits
and stuff...
135 IQ
Quote by XODEMONDEVILXO
it may also have to do with the independence you felt while in israel, I am sure that you were alone a lot of the time, and had more freedoms, so to speak. It may be that because of this, you have outgrown your old home, and your old lifestyle. Just try to mix things up and keep doing new stuff!

Yeah, that does make sense man. Thanks.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
A friend of mine went to australia for 2 years, and when he returned he had depression and crazy nightmares constantly.

He now stil lives here as of 2 years and just finished his first year at uni. Everything is back to normal he feels. Though he did change, but what doesn't ya know.

Give it a few weeks or months, and just go out a bit and have fun.

I think that once school starts back up and all of my friends get back in I should have plenty to keep me busy.

As it stands right now I don't really have too many friends around here anymore (thanks to college and people getting married) so I think that it's just all this time that I have to sit around by myself that's messing with me.
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
This my friend, is a sign from God.

Are you of the Davidic line?
man_suits
and stuff...
135 IQ
Quote by willT08
This my friend, is a sign from God.

Are you of the Davidic line?

Not that I know of. I guess anything is possible though.