dvm25
2,926 IQ
hello,

I apologize for the noobie question. I was just doing some research on units I would like to own some day (far into the future when I actually have money) and came across the Axe FX.

However, I am confused as to what people mean when they say it requires an "interface" in order to connect to the computer. Can someone explain what this means? Does the Axe FX 2 require this as well or cant you just plug it into the computer directly using USB?

Any clarification would be great!
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass
1,412 IQ
The Axe-FX Standard and Ultra do not have built in USB ports to connect to a computer, so you'd have to send your audio to a separate interface to record direct to a computer.

The Axe-FX II does have a built-in interface, an improvement from the first 2 models.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,310 IQ
We have a sticky to tell you all about interfaces.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
If you're looking at the Axe FX, I'd look into Avid's Eleven Rack instead. The Axe FX is very overpriced IMO (Seriously, $2000+ for a used one). The Eleven Rack has the interface part built in, all sorts of amp sims and, if you buy one new, it includes a copy of Pro Tools 11 which is a $600 product on its own. You're basically paying $100 for an Eleven Rack once you factor in the cost of Pro Tools.

The Axe FX is a solid unit and if you have the money for one, go for it. The Axe FX 2 has the built in interface but its really a lot to shell our for an amp sim box.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
T4D
30 guitars and counting..
485 IQ
I just got a eleven rack for $350 on ebay and WOW,.. I've got a XT pod and I use my X3 as a foot control ( and in the elevens effect loop )

i hate Marketing BS,.. But the marketing it right, it just "FEELS" better.

I have not touched an Axe FX but I have stopped using ALL my amp sim in protools because the eleven is by far FAR superior in sound also the reamping workflow is just GOLD tested reamping my JCM 900 and my Wasp 200watt Tube amp and again SUPER workflow.

and tho it has less amps But alot better then HD500.
diabolical
660 IQ
Can't say I like either the Axe-FX or the Eleven for recording amp sims. For a fraction you can purchase some vst plugins that will get you probably just as close (but I feel still no cigar) when it comes to overdriven sounds.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
If you're looking at the Axe FX, I'd look into Avid's Eleven Rack instead. The Axe FX is very overpriced IMO (Seriously, $2000+ for a used one). The Eleven Rack has the interface part built in, all sorts of amp sims and, if you buy one new, it includes a copy of Pro Tools 11 which is a $600 product on its own. You're basically paying $100 for an Eleven Rack once you factor in the cost of Pro Tools.

It is a pretty great deal with Pro Tools being included... but it's really not on the same level as the Axe-FX and Kemper

Quote by T4D
and tho it has less amps But alot better then HD500.

Really? I haven't tried one in a while, but last time I did, the POD HD500 ate it for breakfast.

Still, nothing beats my Kemper. You can't even tell the difference between it and the real deal
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
It is a pretty great deal with Pro Tools being included... but it's really not on the same level as the Axe-FX and Kemper

I'd agree that the Axe-FX is better than Eleven but I'm just not sure its $2000 better. Considering a good chunk of people who bought them were because of Pehipehery or whatever the **** their name was, I've just kinda avoided it.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
I'd agree that the Axe-FX is better than Eleven but I'm just not sure its $2000 better. Considering a good chunk of people who bought them were because of Pehipehery or whatever the **** their name was, I've just kinda avoided it.

The Axe-FX Standard can be had for under a grand on the used market.

The Axe-FX II is a cool unit, and while it is an improvement over the original Standard/Ultra, I don't think it's really worth the extra price, unless you know for sure you're going to use all the features. I had sold my Diezel Herbert to get one, and I spent 7 months moving knobs and pressing buttons and was never happy with the high gain tones (everything else was great...), sold it and picked up a Kemper for significantly less and I was happy with it in about 5 minutes of use. MUCH more realistic, to the point where you wouldn't even be able to tell it's a modeler in most cases. The only thing the Axe really has it beat on is effects (and the interface built into the II, but I already have better), but considering I rarely use effects as it is, it's not a big deal for me.

For ~$1000 though, the Axe-FX Standard is pretty hard to beat. Much more flexibility than the Kemper for live use, too.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Kenova
766 IQ
Eleven rack is garbage. Grab the Pod HD Pro for the same price. Great unit. I own a pod hd pro and axe fx standard, and I switch between both. I wouldnt put the axe fx leaps and bounds ahead of the hd pro.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
LOL! This kid thinks the POD HD is good...
Kenova
766 IQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4AQvDOGuqI obviously you don't own one lockwolf
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
I've used them in the past. Mainly for live, never saw a use in the studio when I've already got more amp sims than I can shake a stick at. Never really saw them as anything special, especially since Eleven Rack outshined it in every way. A free copy of Pro Tools 11 is just icing on the cake with the Eleven Rack.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
The pod patches on that clip sound fuzzy and lack any kind of balls... the AxeFX does wipe the floor with it.

If you can't hear the difference... well I don't know HOW you can't hear the difference.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 14, 2013,
4ofus
32 IQ
Just a heads up. The HD500 has been reduced to $400 now that Line 6 introduced the HD500x. I think this makes it even more attractive for that price. AxeFX2 and Kemper are great products if you've got the $$$.
T4D
485 IQ
Comparing a HD500 to a eleven is laughable,. ate it for breakfast ??? that a huge statement for a opinion on tone !!

My brother has a HD 500 and I have used it abit,.. for Metal I preferred the X3 But for cleaner tones the HD is totally WAY ahead of the X3

BUT the clean tones in Eleven are even better it just feels like a instrument something only true tube amps at 11 volume gives, something the line 6 just hasn't got yet, Clearly you have not used both units. ?

Eleven also does a mighty fine Metal tones, I have got my X3 in some of my patchs But I could live without my X3 ( if I had another midi controller )

YOU may like the HD500 that's cool enjoy your tone, But it's not WAY head or having any thing (other have older line 6 gear) for breakfast.

Kenova that Youtube videio is pure metal ONLY ? that's no way to judge any amp sim, tho the HD was fuzzier but the whole point of amp sims is get MORE then one tone if your a hard core metal kind of guy , WHY NOT BUY A GOOD SINGLE AMP !! I could hardly tell the setting were changing on that video ??

you could get that range of tones with a single amp, an Eq pedal and another pedal ?
the only reason to buy into amps sims is if you want flexibility more then 3 or 4 tones.

I have not used a Axe-FX and Kemper ( for $2000+ it's not on my xmas list )

IMO Eleven is better then HD 500 there's just more quality & Feel in the eleven & for $350 - 400 it's very good value. (I was about to buy a Scarlett 6i6 but kicked in the extra to get an eleven)
PLUS the reamp workflow is Simple as it gets when record Live amps.
PLUS if your a protools guy it's a NO brainer you get ALOT of extra workflow joy in it's connection to PT far better then anything I have ever seen out there.
Last edited by T4D at Jul 15, 2013,
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
POD HD's amp simulation is perfectly decent, but the cabs let it down a little. That's always been the way with Line6 gear to be honest. I used to get killer tones running a Vetta into LeCab.

Eleven Rack is good - the dynamics and playability aren't up to Kemper/Axe standard but in a modern rock mix you'd struggle to notice. Forcing you into Pro Tools to do advanced editing seems like a bit of a dick move though.
T4D
485 IQ
Quote by kyle62
Eleven Rack is good - the dynamics and playability aren't up to Kemper/Axe standard but in a modern rock mix you'd struggle to notice. Forcing you into Pro Tools to do advanced editing seems like a bit of a dick move though.

in SonarX2 Producer Eleven presents itself pretty much like any other interface / amp sim plugin just like HD X3 or Amp farm 2

but in PT you get all the bells and whistles Avid can give you.

I hear Axe FX 2 opens up to some of the level as Eleven in other DAW. ( again personally have yet see it for myself)
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by diabolical
For me the fact that Axe's endorsers record with real amp in the studio is enough to call BS. For example - Megadeth are one of the endorsers and they used Marshall tube pretty much throughout their last two records.

Endorsements on music gear always are crap IMO. The smaller companies have people you've never heard of outside their endorsement page and larger companies have a ton of artists that use one or two things and they hype the shit out of them even though what they're using isn't essential to their sound a majority of the time.
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
Quote by diabolical
For me the fact that Axe's endorsers record with real amp in the studio is enough to call BS. For example - Megadeth are one of the endorsers and they used Marshall tube pretty much throughout their last two records.

Rubbish. Digital modellers aren't about going better than tube amps...they're about replicating the magic in a convenient, flexible low-maintenance package.

The whole point of high-budget recording is you don't compromise, if you're at the level those guys are you might as well bring in the killer amps that the Kemper/Axe etc emulate.

Digital modelling is a godsend for home guys and mid-level studios who want to deliver top-tier guitar tone without a £200,000 collection of guitar gear (or relying on the bands to all have amazing rigs).
Last edited by kyle62 at Jul 15, 2013,
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by kyle62
POD HD's amp simulation is perfectly decent, but the cabs let it down a little. That's always been the way with Line6 gear to be honest. I used to get killer tones running a Vetta into LeCab.

+1 to this. I really liked the POD HD, but they definitely suffer from poor impulse responses. I've owned 2 Vettas as well, they sound a LOT better through a nice cab, with the cab model bypassed, or with the Armin mod on the combos.

Really, the only reason I'd buy an Eleven is because you're basically getting it for free with Pro Tools. Avid has all but abandoned that modeler, it hasn't had firmware updates since 2011. I wouldn't buy one separately unless it was like $200

Quote by diabolical

Most of the big named endorsers only use them for effects, not amp simulation. Really, the only bands that use them for amp tones are "djent" bands.

Even if they were using them for amp modeling, they're using them as a convenience factor to not have to have 3 different amps on stage, with a whole rack of processors and a pedalboard, and bring all that gear in their tour bus/plane. The thing that's great about modelers is you also don't have to rely on the FOH engineer to get a great mic placement on your cab and EQ everything correctly. You can run one cable out of the Axe-FX into the board and have the same exact tone coming out of the PA every single night.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
diabolical
660 IQ
@Kyle - you say "mid-level studios who want to deliver top-tier guitar tone" while at the same time you describe the top tier tone as not being the Axe-FX but rather the real deal, so kinda going self contradictory there.

Not that I don't use modelers - I do, and actually have some all analog modelers that are a lot better sounding than the Axe-Fx but just fallen out of favor with the market at this current time due to the fact that they're not pumping $$$$ at NAMM every year. Love how all the djent kids think all they need is an Axe-Fx and they'd sound like their idols.
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
Quote by diabolical
@Kyle - you say "mid-level studios who want to deliver top-tier guitar tone" while at the same time you describe the top tier tone as not being the Axe-FX but rather the real deal, so kinda going self contradictory there.

Top-tier as in 'easily good enough for a major label release' (which the Axe etc can certainly deliver). Anything above that is a nice but unnecessary luxury....like they say, the last 10% of quality is 90% of the cost
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass
1,412 IQ
Quote by diabolical

Just because they endorse it doesn't mean they're exclusive to it. The Axe-FX is a live tool that works well in the studio, even though it's sort of built an end-all-be-all God complex from the way people praise it.

Maybe Megadeth should've used the Axe-FX on the last two records if it would've made them any better
Kenova
766 IQ
Quote by T4D
WHY NOT BUY A GOOD SINGLE AMP !

I have a good amp, can't mic up a good amp in a 2 bedroom apartment unless you want to piss off all your neighbors.
T4D
485 IQ
Quote by Kenova
I have a good amp, can't mic up a good amp in a 2 bedroom apartment unless you want to piss off all your neighbors.

LOL OK makes scent I know how you feel dude

if your after one tone maybe check the amp sims most have free demo's etc
( but be warned ) it's alot of work to fine good tone mainly out there's
So many plugins out there
So many workflow and features options,
So many opinion on what is good and what is bad,
Once you dive into amp sim's on the computer it's a education and long search to find and be happy with your tone. ( that's my view anyway I own most of the amp sim out there ) and I'm back to recording and re amping everything using my eleven.

if you have the money Get Axe FX "I hear" it is the best ( I would search out a music store to test it out first before Put out that much $$ tho)

Eleven for me is super value in the quality of sound compared to Line 6 gear there's a noticeable different in sound But also how it feels.