Hello,
wasnt sure where to post this so i put it here if its in the wrong place i appologise, ..

ok, i was just looking around for new riffs and tunes to learn and come across a website showing a dvd preview, there is a riff played in the vid and i just dont know what it is but i really want to learn it, but without thename i am lost please can someone help me,

here is the web page i was on :
Rock Riffs

The riff i am asking about is example 12 played dead at 1:00

hope someone can point me in the right direction

Many Thanks in advance

I can say with great confidence that that riff is from a song
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I don't know, but it sounds like it could be something by Muse.
Quote by metacarpi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bsL00aCGg
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 24, 2013,
Sounds like something by Audioslave iffin ya ask me
Quote by whywefight
This man speaks truth and has a beastly username.

Quote by Saint78
you are a beautiful person.
Quote by metacarpi

Quote by Hydra150
I don't know, but it sounds like it could be something by Muse.

ill check a few out on YT perhaps ill get lucky
Quote by SwaggleyKubrick
Sounds like something by Audioslave iffin ya ask me

Ill check some of theirs out too, .. thanks

im guessing its not a popular/well known tune
I'm pretty sure they're riffs that are based on the real versions.

It's quite similar the Megadeth's "Back in the day", it's probably based on that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9566zbyDezo
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Sounds like Metallica to me.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I thought it sounded Van Halen-y. But it could be what BlueIceBox said: I did hear 2 versions of Symphony of Destruction and 3 of Enter Sandman.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
He's not talking about the first riff guys.

Which does indeed sound like an Audioslave riff.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
He's not talking about the first riff guys.

Which does indeed sound like an Audioslave riff.

oh shit, oops, I skimmed over and didn't understand "12 played dead at 1:00"
Quote by whywefight
This man speaks truth and has a beastly username.

Quote by Saint78
you are a beautiful person.
Quote by Rob E
Yeah, makes me think of Muse's Stockholm Syndrome.

And we have a winner.

Although, if you look at the guy's fingers, he's not playing it how Muse does. But whatever, still the same notes.

Quote by MadClownDisease
Sounds very similar to Stockholm Syndrome by Muse, but it's not (or at least, it's not right if it's supposed to be).

That's because he's transposed it slightly.

Also, it's worth noting that certain downloaded versions of the song are in the key of Eb, due to a slight speeding up causing a pitch shift. The live version is in the key of D (guitars and bass tuned to Drop D, btw).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 24, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And we have a winner.

Although, if you look at the guy's fingers, he's not playing it how Muse does. But whatever, still the same notes.

No, they are definitely not the same notes, it's not even the same rhythm. If it is Stockholm Syndrome I feel bad for this guy trying t play it.
Quote by CF_Mono
No, they are definitely not the same notes, it's not even the same rhythm. If it is Stockholm Syndrome I feel bad for this guy trying t play it.

Thank you for ruining my troll, ya jerk!

Honestly, I think it's safe to say that these riffs are based upon rock riffs, not the actual riffs themselves.
Jesus Christ (lol) you guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYWklAV_cwQ

Correction: If he's playing exact riffs, no. [Which it really seems like he's doing, albeit not super well] But the first few note are the same so it sounds like it could be derived from it. Certainly isn't Stockholm Syndrome though.
Last edited by RealUnrealRob at Jul 24, 2013,
Definitely isn't Hysteria or SS. Kinda makes me think of Dream Theater but I can't think of the song...
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I'm pretty sure it isn't a Dream Theater song, unless it's off their newest albums. He seems to be doing mostly Metallica and Megadeth.
More to the point, why does it go from "Example 12" to "Example 14"?!
Last edited by sam b at Jul 24, 2013,
13 is unlucky
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
the dude plays sloppy as ****
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
well if it's a muse song i can't help you there, i only like good music
Quote by Eastwinn
well if it's a muse song i can't help you there, i only like good music

post of the year
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I think its just a think using the open string he developed after fussing around with it, you can tell he really starts to shit on it at the end
Ok, two things:

1) You should NOT need tabs for a short, easy riff like that when the camera is literally pointed right at the guy's fingers. You could just pause the video every few seconds if you really needed a visual aid and it would work fine. Don't be a fake guitarist, learn with your ears.

2) Holy mother of God is that guy horrible. He keeps his pinky coiled up like a sad little worm and the rest of his hand just flops around on the fretboard like a fish out of water. It really amazes me how many "professional" guitar players think they can release an instructional DVD when they can't even hold their fcuking instrument the right way. DO NOT learn from this man.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SkyValley
2) Holy mother of God is that guy horrible. He keeps his pinky coiled up like a sad little worm and the rest of his hand just flops around on the fretboard like a fish out of water. It really amazes me how many "professional" guitar players think they can release an instructional DVD when they can't even hold their fcuking instrument the right way. DO NOT learn from this man.

Wow...I didn't notice till now, mostly because I didn't pay attention, but yeah, that's ****ed up.
If you just want to learn the riff, you can use windows media player to slow the audio track down if you make the video into an .mp3 or whatever. Also audacity.
Thanks for ALL the replies, including some im still laughing at now
"Originally Posted by Eastwinn
well if it's a muse song i can't help you there, i only like good music"

and to answer sky valley, i have watched the clip a few times and pretty sure ive nailed it, however it sounded quite melodic and i was wondering what the rest of the song sounded like and perhaps learn it all
ive spent a good portion of today just jamming using the riff from the clip but cannot help wondering how it actually goes lol

also to the guys who dont seem to like it, i cant help my taste unfortunately but i appreciate your opinions anyway

cheers guys, perhaps someone will come along and say, Ohhhh that tune i know what that is ............