Page 1 of 2
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Hey guys, I want to buy a new guitar, I currently own an Ibanez RG370DXZ, It was/is my first guitar, been playing for a lot of years on it, and haven't really thought of getting a new one, but the time has finally come

My budget is fixed on 400$.

Things I'm looking for:

• A King V shape or a 'Kelly' shape, but anything similar will also do.
  • Double-Coil High output pickups (Will probably upgrade to active pickups later when I have more money)
  • Tune-o-matic bridge with "strings through the body" construction (the one without a stopbar)
  • 'C' Neck Radius or profile, However anything that's slim and comfortable to play and not too fat is good aswell
  • 24 Frets

I play/listen to a lot of Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Metallica etc.
My preferred genre is Thrash Metal, although I do listen to some Old school heavy metal aswell.

I really like the guitar tones on albums like Rust In Peace, Reign In Blood, Beneath the remains.

Thanks guys! Waiting for any replies as soon as possible
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
1,300 IQ
you are being very limiting.

i don't know why the strings through matter to you.
you will get shitty pickups on just about everything in that price range.
"C" necks can be very different. so can thin necks. something you have to feel IMO
24 frets isn't hard to find.

i am not much of a shape person, you can look at that yourself. BC Rich probably has the largest range of pointy guitars, but most of them are shit, especially in that range.

you would probably going with jackson than BC rich at that price range.

go play guitars, see what you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Fernandes makes decent quality guitars with hard rockers & metalheads in mind as a general rule, and they have 2 V-style guitars with entry-level models that are normally right at $400. They are currently on sale directly from Fernandes for about $299 each. Worth looking at.

V-Hawk X
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/v-hawk/32-v-hawk-x.html

Vortex X
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/28-vortex-x.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Danitarium
Giggle Box
40 IQ
If you're willing to go used an LTD V-300 looks about right. Or you can just save up $1-200 more monies and buy one new.

Mahogany body
25-1/2" scale
Set-thru neck
Maple neck
Rosewood fretboard
Thin-U neck shape
24 frets
Tune-O-Matic string-thru bridge
EMG-81 neck and bridge active humbuckers
Toggle pickup selector
Black nickel hardware
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
dannyalcatraz: Taking a look at them right now, they actually fit the purpose perfectly, considering them, but are they better than my current guitar right now ? and I'm a bit concerned about the brand name, even though I know playability is all that matters in the end, do people really buy fernandes guitars ?

Danitarium: Yeah I considered the V-300 before, but I still want to know what I might be able to get in this current price range aswell, Saving up for more is a whole other story a.t.m
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you are being very limiting.

i don't know why the strings through matter to you.
you will get shitty pickups on just about everything in that price range.
"C" necks can be very different. so can thin necks. something you have to feel IMO
24 frets isn't hard to find.

i am not much of a shape person, you can look at that yourself. BC Rich probably has the largest range of pointy guitars, but most of them are shit, especially in that range.

you would probably going with jackson than BC rich at that price range.

go play guitars, see what you like.

It matters to me because it's more non-disrupting for me while I'm playing, the ones with the tail-piece kind of hinder my picking hand, but that isn't really that much of an issue though, just a preference, wanted to put that out there.

I know I'll be getting entry to mid-ranged pick ups in this price range but that's not a problem, I can always switch them out later on, I just want something better than my current guitar.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by MehrozeGillani
dannyalcatraz: Taking a look at them right now, they actually fit the purpose perfectly, considering them, but are they better than my current guitar right now ? and I'm a bit concerned about the brand name, even though I know playability is all that matters in the end, do people really buy fernandes guitars ?

Fernandes is actually a pretty reputable, if smallish, Japanese brand*: guys like Reeves Gabrels and Dave Navarro play Ravelles, and like any sizeable guitar maker, they have a stable of artists who have used their guitars.

I personally own a Ravelle Elite and love it...STILL love it after 10 months of ownership.

All of that said, realize the ones I posted links to were their entry-level axes. As such, they're going to be roughly equivalent to similarly priced guitars, so they probably won't be an improvement over your Ibby. That's a generalization, though- it may be that the X models are a loss-leader for Fernandes, designed to gain market share and future customers.

(Still, I think you'd like them.)

But that means if you can find a used guitar in the same price range, you're probably going to get a better guitar overall.

* I believe they're part of the same corporation as Burny
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 20, 2013,
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Don't waste your money. Keep saving until you can get the guitar you want. Maybe a Jackson KVXT King V or the BC Rich JR V NJ Deluxe. I just got a BC Rich Warlock NJ Deluxe and it is badass, I also play a lot of the same stuff you do and it's perfect for it.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Don't waste your money. Keep saving until you can get the guitar you want.

I endorse this, mostly.

If you're ready to upgrade and you generally know what you want, that is good advice. Buying another bargain axe will only delay you from achieving that goal.

OTOH, if you're just looking for a second guitar, there is nothing wrong with buying another budget model.

alhaq369
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Ok, All of that being said, Consider I save up at least 600$, even then what are the options ? I'm generally lost when it comes to buying new axes, all of the models I take a look at that fit my wants (Listed above) are always guitars which have no reviews, or any other buyers for that matter who've posted their experience with the guitar. I'm in a bit of a pickle here
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fernandes is actually a pretty reputable, if smallish, Japanese brand*: guys like Reeves Gabrels and Dave Navarro play Ravelles, and like any sizeable guitar maker, they have a stable of artists who have used their guitars.

I personally own a Ravelle Elite and love it...STILL love it after 10 months of ownership.

All of that said, realize the ones I posted links to were their entry-level axes. As such, they're going to be roughly equivalent to similarly priced guitars, so they probably won't be an improvement over your Ibby. That's a generalization, though- it may be that the X models are a loss-leader for Fernandes, designed to gain market share and future customers.

(Still, I think you'd like them.)

But that means if you can find a used guitar in the same price range, you're probably going to get a better guitar overall.

* I believe they're part of the same corporation as Burny

That is actually a pretty good point you made, But I'd be comfortable knowing that what I'm buying (if not better) is atleast not even more suckish that what I own a.t.m, should atleast be on par.

Those two look like nice axes though, would make an impression on stage.
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by MehrozeGillani
Hey guys, I want to buy a new guitar, I currently own an Ibanez RG370DXZ, It was/is my first guitar, been playing for a lot of years on it, and haven't really thought of getting a new one, but the time has finally come

My budget is fixed on 400$.

Things I'm looking for:

• A King V shape or a 'Kelly' shape, but anything similar will also do.
  • Double-Coil High output pickups (Will probably upgrade to active pickups later when I have more money)
  • Tune-o-matic bridge with "strings through the body" construction (the one without a stopbar)
  • 'C' Neck Radius or profile, However anything that's slim and comfortable to play and not too fat is good aswell
  • 24 Frets

I play/listen to a lot of Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Metallica etc.
My preferred genre is Thrash Metal, although I do listen to some Old school heavy metal aswell.

I really like the guitar tones on albums like Rust In Peace, Reign In Blood, Beneath the remains.

Thanks guys! Waiting for any replies as soon as possible

This has pretty much what you wanted for $600.

V shape, TonePros Fully Adjustable Bridge, Strings-through, 24 frets, EMG humbuckers.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KVXTBBrb/

Not too sure about those pickups though, but if you are going to upgrade to active pickups later it may work out for you.

Also this one: $550

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RR24XTQSBB/

If you wanted a Floyd Rose I'd say to get one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?source=3WWRWXGP&entSkuId=516096005643006&kwid=productads-plaid^43618108484-sku^516096005643006@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^30432736227

They are used but great quality.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Aug 20, 2013,
Danitarium
Giggle Box
40 IQ
Just for the record....Kirk Hammett used Fernandes guitars on the first 3 Metallica albums. He used a black Fernandes V for Kill 'Em All, and a black Fernandes Strat on Ride The Lightning, and Master of Puppets.

I know that this might not matter to you OP, but you were saying you play thrash, and wondering who plays Fernandes guitars....so there you go.

Also saw this for sale on MF:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-pxd-vicious-ii-electric-guitar
Last edited by Danitarium at Aug 20, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by Danitarium
Just for the record....Kirk Hammett used Fernandes guitars on the first 3 Metallica albums. He used a black Fernandes V for Kill 'Em All, and a black Fernandes Strat on Ride The Lightning, and Master of Puppets.

I know that this might not matter to you OP, but you were saying you play thrash, and wondering who plays Fernandes guitars....so there you go.

I had forgotten that!

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by MehrozeGillani
That is actually a pretty good point you made, But I'd be comfortable knowing that what I'm buying (if not better) is atleast not even more suckish that what I own a.t.m, should atleast be on par.

Those two look like nice axes though, would make an impression on stage.

I would say the mid- and high- dollar Fernandes are at last as good as similarly priced Ibanez guitars, generally speaking, but I don't have direct experience with their entry-level models.

IMHO, Ibanez makes some of the better bang-for-the-buck inexpensive axes that have features popular with shredders- the slender necks, 24 frets, etc., so it would be hard to BEAT them in that price range. But I would not be surprised to find them matched.

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by MehrozeGillani
Ok, All of that being said, Consider I save up at least 600$, even then what are the options ?

These guys have the Fernandes Vortex Pro- with a high-output passive in the bridge and a Fernandes Sustainer in the neck- in 3 different finishes for $599.

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Fernandes-Vortex-Guitars-s/906.htm

alhaq369
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Quote by Danitarium
Just for the record....Kirk Hammett used Fernandes guitars on the first 3 Metallica albums.

Okay, that's comforting to know.
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
These guys have the Fernandes Vortex Pro- with a high-output passive in the bridge and a Fernandes Sustainer in the neck- in 3 different finishes for $599.

I'm going to consider the fernandes models aswell, they still seem to offer a lot in a given price, could you recommend guitars from other notorious manufacturers aswell ? perhaps Jackson and B.C Rich
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Just let me put another thing out there, I live in Pakistan where there is kind of limited stuff here, but hopefully I can get it shipped (paying all those awful duty and handling taxes as well, ugh)

This place is the scum of the Earth when it comes to Music, and a few other things...\

*giggle*
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I don't think he wanted a Floyd Rose and that one is a licensed one. Seems a little bit expensive for what it is.

To the OP 'Licensed Floyd Rose' aren't as good as the Original ones. Just as a FYI if you didn't know.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Aug 20, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by Blackfire.

Ummm, of course they're identical- you posted identical links!

Specs aren't everything- QC goes into the equation as well. And I know the Jackson doesn't have the Fernandes Sustainer HB- those cost $299 retail by themselves.

alhaq369
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
1,300 IQ
Quote by MehrozeGillani
It matters to me because it's more non-disrupting for me while I'm playing, the ones with the tail-piece kind of hinder my picking hand, but that isn't really that much of an issue though, just a preference, wanted to put that out there.

I know I'll be getting entry to mid-ranged pick ups in this price range but that's not a problem, I can always switch them out later on, I just want something better than my current guitar.

yoiu have your right to get what you want, but you can adapt to a string through in a few days of playing. its not really a big difference. i go from a gibson with a 50's neck profile, to an ibanez wizard, in the middle of the set, it just depends what you want.

i still stand by that you should feel a similar neck frist. C shapes can vary quite a bit.

shitty pickups aren't a big deal they will always be in budget guitars. cheap and to swap. not a big deal.

finding 24 frets should't be a problem at all.

also realizing that you are going to get nailed with the customs and expensive shipping, i would wait and save my money for something better that would be more 'worth' (for lack of a better term) buying going through customs.

+311 specs don't always mean a whole lot. quality is more important, IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by Blackfire.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ummm, of course they're identical- you posted identical links!

Specs aren't everything- QC goes into the equation as well. And I know the Jackson doesn't have the Fernandes Sustainer HB- those cost $299 retail by themselves.

Lol sorry was up too late. here's the link for the Jackson:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JS32RRWSG/

Sustainer pickups, has a MSRP of $500 but you can buy for $250?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fernandes-sustainer-fsk-101-humbucker-pickup-kit

I'm sure that pickup can be useful in some areas. However, how much it's used for thrash metal is another question.

I think that specs go quite far in the price of something, and QC can only go so far for what you're paying for. You can have great QC for a Ford Pinto but in the end it's just a Pinto.

Half the price of the guitar is the pickup on it. To me that would be a waste of his money on something he really didn't need for his play style(thrash in this case).
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
Quote by Blackfire.

I think that specs go quite far in the price of something, and QC can only go so far for what you're paying for. You can have great QC for a Ford Pinto but in the end it's just a Pinto.

Half the price of the guitar is the pickup on it. To me that would be a waste of his money on something he really didn't need for his play style(thrash in this case).

Guitars are not like computers where specs are necessarily the measure of a guitar's performance. How well the guitar is put together is just as important as specs- if not more so. You cannot list how well a guitar is made in a spec sheet. The quality of the wood used in the guitars is rarely mentioned in the spec sheet unless it's a very high end grade as well.

Half the price of the guitar is not in the pickups generally. It depends on what the pickups actually are relative to the price of the rest of the instrument, which varies greatly.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
1,300 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Guitars are not like computers where specs are necessarily the measure of a guitar's performance. How well the guitar is put together is just as important as specs- if not more so. You cannot list how well a guitar is made in a spec sheet. The quality of the wood used in the guitars is rarely mentioned in the spec sheet unless it's a very high end grade as well.

Half the price of the guitar is not in the pickups generally. It depends on what the pickups actually are relative to the price of the rest of the instrument, which varies greatly.

big +1.
____

if there are two guitars, A and B, here it goes.

'A' is made with fine woods and more more attention to detail and is better manufactured, but has poor electronics, and lets say just has a plain painted top.

'B' is made with cheap wood. the fretwork is sloppy, but its got EMG's and a quilted maple top.

____

guitar A is likely going to be better playing and better feeling, and you can change electronics.

but guitar B is going to have the better sound you want from pickups, but has sharp fret ends and doesn't stay in tune well at all.

____

manufacturers don't add in things in free.every $600 guitar has a certain amount of money into into it say for example that they make $300, well one could argue that in the

'A' more money went into craftsmenship
'B' more money into electronics and fancy veneered maple.

my $.02
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 20, 2013,
romeozdistress
230 IQ
just got for a used ltd 400 series in good condition. will do everything you want.
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Peavey Vypyr 112 (WGS Veteran 30)
Boss SD1
Zoom G1on

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Guitars are not like computers where specs are necessarily the measure of a guitar's performance.

That's like saying the tuners, bridge type, wood type, and pickups do not matter on a guitar.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How well the guitar is put together is just as important as specs- if not more so.

No need to state the obvious.

I never said how a guitar was put together was irrelevant. But it can only go so far, it's not rocket science. I was just pointing out that the guitar in question may not be the right one for him, his original post stated he wasn't looking for a Floyd Rose type.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The OP said he will be upgrading to an active pickup so the sustainer pickup would be unnecessary at this point for thrash.

I was trying to point him in the right direction for what he is looking for. Shouldn't we be helping to find this guy what he wants for his type of music he likes?
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
1,300 IQ
Quote by romeozdistress
just got for a used ltd 400 series in good condition. will do everything you want.

they aren't bad. look for the 400 seiries and only older, not the 401's, quality dropped when they swapped countries. i owned (in order) a EC400, EC1000 and EC401, ironically the EC400 was best out of the batch. made a chunk of money off of them and ditched them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
The OP said he will be upgrading to an active pickup so the sustainer pickup would be unnecessary at this point for thrash.

That IS an important point. However, I'll say that the Sustainser is itself a form of active pickup, and they are always paired with a high-output passive or another active pickup in Fernandes guitars. IOW, a pickup upgrade may not be needed, strictly speaking- I know my Ravelle Elite is very aggressive, tonally.

And, just FYI, there are metal guitarists- thrash & speed guys included- who use Sustainers. Its just not commonly known that they do so.

Just as a for example, here is a excerpt from Fernandes' artist profile on speed/thrash guitarist, Juan Garcia:

Rythm guitarist of Los Angeles speed metal icons AGENT STEEL, Juan Garcia, is another vuluable asset in the Vertigo user list, who hasn't stopped playing his Sustainer-equipped Vertigo Elite. Juan started playing guitar in the early 1980's in the metal band ABBATOIR, and later joined AGENT STEEL when their first demo "144,000 Gone" got the band signed to Combat records, in 1984.

The band released two full length albums, and one EP before temporarily disbanding in 1988. Juan went on to form the thrash metal band EVILDEAD along with ex-members of Abattoir. The band released the two full-length albums Annihilation of Civilization and The Underworld, and a 3-song EP entitled Rise Above on Steamhammer Records. They had reasonable success in the European metal scene touring with bands like Laaz Rockit. EvilDead disbanded in the early 1990's and some of the members, including Juan, went on to form the band TERROR, which released the full-length "Hijos de Los Cometas" on BMG in Mexico before officially disbanding.

Slayer's Kerry King is also a known Sustainer user.
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/the-news.html?start=245

And Mike Clark of Suicidal Tendencies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkt_exnLow&sns=em

alhaq369
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
That IS an important point. However, I'll say that the Sustainser is itself a form of active pickup, and they are always paired with a high-output passive or another active pickup in Fernandes guitars. IOW, a pickup upgrade may not be needed, strictly speaking- I know my Ravelle Elite is very aggressive, tonally.

And, just FYI, there are metal guitarists- thrash & speed guys included- who use Sustainers. Its just not commonly known that they do so.

Just as a for example, here is a excerpt from Fernandes' artist profile on speed/thrash guitarist, Juan Garcia:

Slayer's Kerry King is also a known Sustainer user.
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/the-news.html?start=245

And Mike Clark of Suicidal Tendencies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkt_exnLow&sns=em

I bet you can name more people who don't use them than people that do use them. But really that isn't the point. lol

The guitar mentioned from Fernandez has a licensed Floyd Rose, something the OP didn't want unless he is willing to be more open about using one.

I highly doubt Kerry and Mike use a Licensed Floyd on their performance guitars.
Danitarium
Giggle Box
40 IQ
How about a Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX Sig Series. Pretty Much exactly what you're looking for OP.

Maple Top and Neck
24 fret, Rosewood Fingerboard
Bolt-on, Mustaine Neck Profile
String-thru Bridge
C shape neck
Black Hardware
Mini Grover tuners
Dual Design Dean Humbuckers

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DEE-VMNTX-LIST?SRC=D0301DT0HAMS0000&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=feed&

Or a Dean Razorback or ML.

Or an LTD EX-whathaveyou.

Or pretty much anything from B.C. Rich.

Or an Ibanez Xiphos or Destroyer.

Just some thoughts.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
I highly doubt Kerry and Mike use a Licensed Floyd on their performance guitars.

VERY true!

But there really isn't an "entry level" or "licensed" Sustainer.

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Re: Deans

I own a couple of Deans and I love them. However, I really wouldn't buy an entry level (under $500) Dean.

alhaq369
Blackfire.
Per Mare Per Terras
30 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
VERY true!

But there really isn't an "entry level" or "licensed" Sustainer.

You and that sustainer man! I'm starting question what you're sustaining with that thing.. Never mind I don't want to know!
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ

Seriously, though- its just a good active pickup with an extra trick.

alhaq369
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
By the way a big thank you to all you guys helping me out here.

Quote by Danitarium
How about a Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX Sig Series. Pretty Much exactly what you're looking for OP.

Or pretty much anything from B.C. Rich.

Or an Ibanez Xiphos or Destroyer.

I actually took a look into the VMNT's (Mustaine, being one of my favourite rhythm players) They do match the equation perfectly, But I just wanted to see what other options are on the table, This one is pretty inexpensive, didn't realize it.

-----

I played the Xiphos XPT700, didn't like the feel of it, Although it was a great guitar, good Dimarzios' on it as well.

-----

I'm such a guitar *****, LOL. Sorry for being so choosy guys
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Seriously, though- its just a good active pickup with an extra trick.

Excuse me for being so dumb but what's the extra trick ?

*cackle*
Last edited by MehrozeGillani at Aug 21, 2013,
MehrozeGillani
50 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Guitars are not like computers where specs are necessarily the measure of a guitar's performance.

Quote by Blackfire.
QC can only go so far for what you're paying for. You can have great QC for a Ford Pinto but in the end it's just a Pinto.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

+311 specs don't always mean a whole lot. quality is more important, IMO.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Specs aren't everything- QC goes into the equation as well.

Aaagh, So confused, So does that mean the low-end fernandes guitars (Listed earlier by dannyalcatraz) are good guitars if I swap the electronics later on ?
Danitarium
Giggle Box
40 IQ
The extra trick of the Fernandes Sustainer pickup is that it vibrates the string for you in order to create near endless sustain. It can also create feedback at pretty much any time. A neat trick if you're into that sort of thing.
Page 1 of 2