dsomma93
40 IQ
Just bought a Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 combo for $300 used from a friend's step-dad. He needed cash. Amp sounds killer and I got it for a decent price.

Tolex isn't in the best condition. The guy has had it for 4 years-- tubes haven't been changed. He bought it used from guitar center.

Serial number is M - 2002 - 51 - 0323 - B

I'm assuming this means it was made in the 51st week of 2002.

I've heard about problems with these things about overheating-- after playing it for a few hours, it does get pretty hot. Motherboard or whatever gets damaged from overheating, fuses blow, footswitch breaks easily, etc.

I will be gigging with it or whatever I end up buying.

Not sure if I should sell it for a better/different model.

Is there a way I can really check to see if the tubes are going to need to be replaced, there will be any major problems in the near future, etc.

I love the tone but haven't really looked into too many other marshalls. I need 3 channels, which is one of the reasons I want to keep this. I'm not sure if I should try to sell it-- I've seen a bunch going from 600+. I'd be happy getting 500.

I haven't had any problems yet, but considering the tubes haven't been changed in at least 4 years and the tolex and enclosure isn't in the best condition, I'm worried it hasn't been taken care of like it should have been. I don't want any problems on stage or to get screwed out of $300 (or $500 if I sell it)

It smelled like smoke when I got it but the smell is going away and I'm going to clean it out.

Should I sell this thing and get a more reliable one that I can trust? Is it reliable to gig with?

Or should I take it to a tech to check out? I'm kind of leaning towards selling it and picking up a different model combo. I'd need at least 3 channels (clean, rhythm, lead).
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
The main problem that TSL's had prior to 2003 was an underrated bridge rectifier that caused the amp to overheat. The solution is to simply replace it with a larger one, preferably the type that you can mount a heatsink to. Do that and the reliability issues pretty much vanish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
dsomma93
40 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
The main problem that TSL's had prior to 2003 was an underrated bridge rectifier that caused the amp to overheat. The solution is to simply replace it with a larger one, preferably the type that you can mount a heatsink to. Do that and the reliability issues pretty much vanish.

Thanks!!! Any idea how much it will cost to do all of that? I'm probably not going to do it myself
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Maybe $50? It's not a very big job and the component is quite cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
dsomma93
40 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Maybe $50? It's not a very big job and the component is quite cheap.

Thank you! I'm definitely going to do some more research and thing about keeping it then
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
153 IQ
Just retube the whole thing if you're worried and you can keep the current ones as emergency spares you know work.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
130 IQ
Quote by dsomma93
What to do after buying a used Marshall amp?

Well play the **** out of it!

I wouldn't even change the tubes until the current ones stop functioning properly if the reliability thing is solvable by replacing a rectifier.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Roc8995
250 IQ
Quote by wilmearz
Um, why don't you just phone/ email Marshall before doing a repair job based on an assumption that your amp will malfunction.

Because they screwed the thing up in the first place, and it's a well-documented design flaw that will ruin the amp beyond repair and takes 15 minutes and $5 worth of parts to prevent.
slayer1979
87 IQ
I'm really surprised I havn't read a "Sell it and buy a JCM 800 blarrrg blarrrg!..." response yet lol
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Clarkinator
40 IQ
If your tubes start having some cloudyness in them it means it is time to replace them. I've never replaced tubes though from a longevity standpoint, only time I did was when I blew out a power tube (and you will def know when that happens).

One option you could go with is just list it online on something like Craigslist or ebay with a minimum price... you never know. If you have concerns regarding the amp already, and someone is willing to give you the money you paid for it (or hell even more if you got a hot deal) it might make it easier for you to part ways with it. Maybe list it on craigslist for $400 and see if anyone bites?
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Quote by Clarkinator
If your tubes start having some cloudyness in them it means it is time to replace them. I've never replaced tubes though from a longevity standpoint, only time I did was when I blew out a power tube (and you will def know when that happens).

One option you could go with is just list it online on something like Craigslist or ebay with a minimum price... you never know. If you have concerns regarding the amp already, and someone is willing to give you the money you paid for it (or hell even more if you got a hot deal) it might make it easier for you to part ways with it. Maybe list it on craigslist for $400 and see if anyone bites?

Wut?
If your tubes get cloudy, they are bad/burnt out and the vacuum is gone. The tubes will not function at all when they are like this. Tubes don't get cloudy while they still function at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ProgFolk12
40 IQ
Quote by Clarkinator
Hence why I said when they are cloudy they need to be replaced...

That's rather obvious. Also, telling someone not to replace power amp valves until they're completely dead is stupid. You wouldn't wait until your car's running on it's rims before putting new boots on now would you?

TS, if you like it and it does what you want then keep it. You got a good price but you'll need new valves, so factor that into the low price. The TSL's don't get that much love around here but there aren't many three channel amps that can do what it does at the price.

I don't know of the overheating issue but if it is as simple a part swap as that then you should be able to get it done easily. Again, factor that cost into the price, you'll still have got it pretty cheap.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Quote by Clarkinator
Hence why I said when they are cloudy they need to be replaced...

You came across as if the tubes still function while they are cloudy, and I was letting you and TS know they do not
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Clarkinator
40 IQ
When did I say to wait until they were cloudy? When did I say "wait until they are dead?" Good lord. He said he bought a new amp that had some wear and playing time and didn't know how to check to see if the tubes needed to be replaced.

I meant check them and see if they are cloudy. If they are cloudy, put new ones in. Simple. I never once said "hey keep playing on them until they break!" I didn't blow a power tube playing on cloudy tubes, I had one go out on me when I stepped on my fuzz one day. I didn't say "hey I kept playing on cloudy tubes and you should too!"

I don't see how my post ever encouraged anyone to play on nearly dead tubes. He asked how to check and see if his tubes in his new amp need to be replaced. I replied look for cloudyness. Thats it and thats all.
Last edited by Clarkinator at Aug 30, 2013,
dsomma93
40 IQ
Quote by Roc8995
Because they screwed the thing up in the first place, and it's a well-documented design flaw that will ruin the amp beyond repair and takes 15 minutes and $5 worth of parts to prevent.

Do you know exactly what I can do to fix this issue? I've been told bridge rectifier, the guy at a music store said something about diodes, etc. Lots of people talk about this problem but I'm not sure about what I can do to fix it. Maybe i will contact marshall.

To everyone else, can you really tell if a tube needs to changed from looking at it?

The amp sounds great. No power issues or crazy squealing or anything.

Someone said for the price there are other 3 channel amps that can do what this does.
What kind of amps? I'd prefer a combo though
Roc8995
250 IQ
This isn't nearly as complicated as you're making it sound. A bridge rectifier is a set of diodes in a single package. Cath told you exactly what you can do to fix the issue. You literally just replace the existing rectifier with a beefier one. You can call Marshall but they'll probably tell you the same thing. If you're confused by the explanation of this repair you should just have your tech do it. It sounds like he already knows what to do and it should be quick and cheap.

And no, you can't tell if a tube needs changing from looking at it.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Quote by Clarkinator
If your tubes start having some cloudyness in them it means it is time to replace them.

Um, you said that in this quote right here or did you forget about that already

To add to what Roc said, you can tell a tube is bad if it turns white, but that is the only way and that does not always happen either, only if the vacuum is compromised. If the tube does not light up it could be the tube, but it could also be other issues inside the amp

It is always good to have a few extra 12ax7's around just incase. I have several sets of tubes just sitting around, some are new, some are used just for this reason
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Roc8995
250 IQ
Yes, I should have clarified. You can sometimes tell if a tube is bad by looking at it, but you cannot ever confirm that it is working by looking at it.

Obviously if the glass is shattered and the insides are charred black you can say with confidence that it's broken
IWasMaiden93
A Utah Man Am I
20 IQ
Buy a JCM800 blarrrrrrgh blarrrrrrgh
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.