xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
I'm from Oregon and I've been playing for about two years now. I'm interested in hearing about how you guys started playing and what type of music you guys like. I started in a garage with a couple of my friends and practiced everyday on random songs we thought were cool. We would jam for people that would walk by and stuff like that. I'm into Metalcore. Stuff like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, and Asking Alexandria.
leo4sf
Submariner
433 IQ
When I was 13-14 years old I had a friend whose father had a drum set in his garage. I would sit and watch him play for hours just fascinated by him. He noticed that I was taking an interest and offered to teach me how to play. After a year or so of playing with him, I switched to taking lessons from a local teacher who taught me rudiments and the basics of reading. After taking lessons from him for a few more years I broke out on my own. In the last 20 years or so I have taken lessons from a variety of teachers to keep myself sharp.
Lordyboy
Sp0drman
259 IQ
I'm from Leeds, UK, and have been going since the start of 2010 I think (?). I took drums up properly after showing promise on the Guitar Hero drums (not particularly realistic, but I showed some rhythmic ability I guess) and probably spent around 6 months practising on my own on an e-Kit before starting a band with some new guys who'd just joined my school.

We started out as a cover band, playing what I can only describe as mainstream rock (think Green Day, Foo Fighters, Blink-182 etc.), and just doing it for fun, not really gigging except for school talent shows and stuff like that. Eventually covers get boring though, so since 2 years ago we've taken a rout more towards writing our own stuff and picking out less obvious covers.
whoomit
1,492 IQ
I probably started drumming around 2006. I was mainly into pop punk, heavy rock and metal back then. I only started up again two weeks ago from a 6-12 months break. I mainly play hip hop with a few other bits and pieces thrown in at the moment.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
Lordyboy, that is exactly what got me started playing as well. I basically took the skills I developed at Rock Band and used them on a real drum set.
stuntman133
terrible musician
160 IQ
Started "drumming": since when I was, like, 5 (I think)
Started actual drumming: since I was 10 (so 7 years)

When I was a kid, my brother would often listen to rock shit on the radio and played "pretend guitar". He'd always drag me in to "play" the drums for him (i.e. banging on an empty steel biscuit box).Fast forward 5 years later, my brother started taking actual guitar lessons, and I decided to join in on the fun as well (I took drums, obviously).

I don't actually have drums at home (there's another story for that), but I would go to my local music store (they teach, and rent drum/piano rooms) and practice, or during jamming with my bandmates.

I just play basic rock/emo/alternative shit, some hip-hop or electronic music every now and then.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
That's dope dude. Keep doin it.
They say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you it's schizophrenia.
NhiaThao
The Asian
26 IQ
I took an interest in drumming about 2009 or 2010. I knew someone from my church who plays drums and took lessons from him for about 6 months to a year. Since I've stopped taking lessons, I've been learning how to improve my skills by watching others play and taking mental notes. I play a variety of things from alternative rock to jazz/swing to Christian to hip-hop/rap. However, the hardest I'll play is Breaking Benjamin.
GoodCharloteSux
3,778 IQ
Ive been playing guitar for a long time and my bros. decided to buy a kit. Although neither of them was bad, they just never got into it. My obsessive musical personality kind of took over and it became mine. The rest is history I guess.

Overall I would say I'm mostly into Rock and punk, but I bounce around from Metallica to midwest 90's emo. I don't really know what I like anymore.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
That's hella tight. Are you guys self taught or no?
They say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you it's schizophrenia.
NhiaThao
The Asian
26 IQ
Quote by xgispert

Well, I'm half self-taught half lessons.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
Yeah? That's cool. I'm self taught. What kinda music do you like to play?
stuntman133
terrible musician
160 IQ
Quote by xgispert

More self thought than not. Can't say I've been making a whole lotta progress...
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
Don't worry dude. Just keep going at it. Eventually things will start coming to you. That's what happened to me. I wanted to quit because I wasn't making any progress but for some reason I kept at it and eventually i just started learning all kinds of stuff.
NhiaThao
The Asian
26 IQ
Yeah, it took me a while to realize how to actually do a double hit roll. Some stuff just takes time and practice.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
Yeah me too. For a while a double hit roll was the bane of my existence. now I do 'em no problem.
NhiaThao
The Asian
26 IQ
I guess the hardest problem I have is just keeping the tempo the same because when I drum, I really get into it and get drumming happy and lose the tempo by speeding it up.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
I know exactly what you mean. That goes away after a while. I wanna learn to get better at doing off beat double pedal work. That's my ultimate goal.
NhiaThao
The Asian
26 IQ
I wish I could get a double bass but I'm kinda broke right now and don't have a job yet.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
Yeah I know how you feel. I think I might start selling my stuff so I can get by. I don't want to but you know how things are.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
I might sell my guitar, amp, pedal, and drum set.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
an Ibanez S7420 and a basic purple Pearl drum kit.
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
Don't worry dude I know exactly what you mean. If worst comes to worst then I'll just go to a pawn shop or something. Did you say you had a drum set?
Sheeves
43 IQ
I'm from central Arkansas. I've been playing music for about 11 years now. I started on guitar when I was 10 and just took off from there. Once I joined the school band, I started playing tuba and play in my college band. I also play lots of bass for random events. I've been part of a few bands. My current band is Ripped Pigeon, where I play rhythm guitar.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rippedpigeon

Recently, I started getting into hand drumming, particularly the cajon. I've started building a few as well and am perfecting my designs. It's a ton of fun!
xgispert
The Boss
140 IQ
That's pretty cool man. You guys are interesting. I've kinda been messing around with the djembe. It's... Different. Haha.