Page 1 of 2
I am beginner. I have Deluxe players Fender strat and a Fender Super Champ XD. I bought these sort of on impulse when I first started playing. I'm getting much better now and trying to find a voice that I like. I thought I might want to go acoustic, but the thought of that quickly vanished when I saw and fell in love with the most heavenly guitar on the planet, the Ibanez AG95. I just picked one up and now I'm trying to match it with an Amp. I want a nice jazzy, bluesy sound which is the style I adore.

This video sorta samples a sound I'm after. Currently I have a blues driver, but that doesn't really aid me getting that sound with my fender super champ. My issue with the Fender is that the sound is too bright, and not nearly as warm as I'd like it to be, such as in the video below. What amp am I looking for, for this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPcZwIT7ZY
Last edited by MistaChy at Jan 11, 2014,
Budget?

Peavey ValveKing can do that on the super cheap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Budget?

Peavey ValveKing can do that on the super cheap.

Don't really have a budget, but if you could recommend some from each price range (low-mid-highend), that would be preferable, as my budget usually matches my desire.
a low, mid, and high end budget are all subjective as well. To some high end is $1500 others it is around $5000 so if you can provide something more to work with i would be glad to help seeing as clean to mild breakup amps are what i deal with mostly.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by Reverb&Reggae
a low, mid, and high end budget are all subjective as well. To some high end is $1500 others it is around $5000 so if you can provide something more to work with i would be glad to help seeing as clean to mild breakup amps are what i deal with mostly.

I'm thinking the valveking will be just fine. Found one at GC website for 300... might as well pull the trigger. Youtube had some good demonstrations and it sounded like what I'm looking for, at a modest price as well. I think that will satisfy my appetite for the time being.
please dont buy an amp based off of what it sounds like on youtube......their video compression can really throw things outta whack regardless of the speakers you are hearing them out of. Valveking is a great amp but for jazz and blues it seems more than you need, i could be wrong and you might play it and love it but me personally when looking for an amp for jazz and blues wouldn't be looking at a valveking.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Welcome to UG

Valveking is OK.

I owned one. Be prepared to swap out the speaker and possibly add some new tubes/pedals.

Doesn't suck. Not great either.

Lots of great amps out there though man. What is your realistic top end budget and where do you live?
That Ibanez is a China model (nothing wrong with that, just never seen one in right hand), and the Crate brand pretty much sucks - they have a couple of products I can stand, but all the amps I've heard are terrible including that one. I like the Fender Blackface and Champ, Satelite, Peavey solid state and some vintage tube, but you should try a bunch of amps for yourself.
Quote by Reverb&Reggae
please dont buy an amp based off of what it sounds like on youtube......their video compression can really throw things outta whack regardless of the speakers you are hearing them out of.

I heartily disagree, due to how much this is said.

Watching a single video is pointless. Watching many videos (like 5-10 at least) has, without fail, given me to triangulate what a piece of gear actually sounds like, regardless of other variables. After watching tons of videos, if I actually buy that piece of gear, it has always sounded like what I expected it to. Being familiar with the SM57 and how it records/affects tone helps a lot as well because of how much it is used to record. On a larger scale, just watching tons of videos period and then playing the gear in person will help you understand what the recording compression sounds like, and after that you can imagine how it will actually sound like in person.

Quote by Reverb&Reggae
Valveking is a great amp but for jazz and blues it seems more than you need, i could be wrong and you might play it and love it but me personally when looking for an amp for jazz and blues wouldn't be looking at a valveking.

Also disagree here. I owned a ValveKing, like 311, and cleans were its strong point. Blues and Jazz are much more up its alley than anything else, especially anything with distortion.

Quote by MistaChy
I'm thinking the valveking will be just fine. Found one at GC website for 300... might as well pull the trigger. Youtube had some good demonstrations and it sounded like what I'm looking for, at a modest price as well. I think that will satisfy my appetite for the time being.

Which one are you looking at? That is way too much for a ValveKing.

Here is a used VK112 for $200. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VALVEKING-VK-112-COMBO-AMP-109692929-i3562238.gc

Here is a used VK112 with a Celestion G12T75 (!) for $230. www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VK112-VALVEKING-W--CELESTION-G12T-75-UPGRADED-SPEAKER-109229053-i3246669.gc

For dark lush cleans on higher quality/nicer amps, I would recommend the Egnater Tweaker 40 (looking at this myself).

If you want to drop serious money on a serious amp, I highly recommend the Orange Rockerverb and Thunderverb. They are absolute monsters when it comes to dark lush cleans. Not many amps are in the dark/lush game, most amps tend to go for really bright/chimey/jangly, unfortunately. You and I are on the same page though, based on that video.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92

Which one are you looking at? That is way too much for a ValveKing.

Here is a used VK112 for $200. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VALVEKING-VK-112-COMBO-AMP-109692929-i3562238.gc

Here is a used VK112 with a Celestion G12T75 (!) for $230. www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VK112-VALVEKING-W--CELESTION-G12T-75-UPGRADED-SPEAKER-109229053-i3246669.gc

I wanted 212 for a fuller sound.
Quote by MistaChy
I wanted 212 for a fuller sound.

The VK212 is the model I owned, and I wouldn't recommend it (or any other 2x12 combos). They are extremely heavy, and I have found that for me personally, the extra speaker doesn't make a difference worth noting or fussing over if you're not playing with other people.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
JC120? Fender Twin reverb? even music man?

fender HRD? (OD also sucks)

i owned a VK as well. cleans were okay otherwise you would need 3 pedals and a dummy jack to get any decent gain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ All bright clean amps, especially the JC120 /shudder

The HRD is okay, in a similar price range the Tweaker 40 roflstomps it for dark cleans. The trick is finding a Tweaker 40 for a fair price.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Got a VK112, pretty happy with it. Clean channel is very nice and takes pedals well. Dirt channel is definitely meh. Maybe it would work for blues with the gain set very low, but a low-gain OD through the clean channel would probably be better.

Never played one, but I'm guessing the Peavey Classic would be better for what you want. The 30 watt version would probably be better for blues, but the 50 watt for jazz.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
the VK is a way better amp than many give it credit for. many want a super heavy metal amp and then are disappointed with the VK. for clean sounds and blues tones it's actually very good. I play a more 70s style hard rock/metal style and it really works great for that as well. are there better amps for anything I've mentioned, of course. can they be had in that price range, not so much.

as for your strat are you using the neck pickup? single coils are brighter sounding than humbuckers for sure but you can certainly get a nice warm sound from them. hollow body jazz tone might be asking a bit much though.
I agree that the VK has nice cleans and a meh dirt channel.

The Classic 30 and the Tweaker are better though.

Plus you have to swap the speaker.

On a really tight budget thought, if that is all you can find it is a decent amp.

I think I'd rather have a Vypyr 60 even though it is not a true all tube amp. You can dial in all sorts of clean and bluesy tones and they can be found for $250 used and don't need a speaker swap.
I went to GC today and herd the vox AC30C2. I also heard the twin reverb fender reissue. that amp made me not plug the vox back in. how is the twin reverb compared to the valveking?
Like a Ferrari compared to a Prius, to put it simply.

I owned a Valveking, it was decent, but not great.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Fantastic, im bias though. Fender twin reverbs have been a staple since they were released, while the current reissue ones are no where near and vintage black face or some silver faces for that matter. I love mint for the cleans, it is also a great amp to use pedals in front of. I love mine and its a true work horse. Just heavy as hell.
You can sometimes find a nice used silverface on the cheap. I suggest you try a silverface if you can.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
twin reverbs are great amps, one of very few (if i am thinking correctly) amps that have been continually manufactured for 50 years. the new ones are nothing like a black face twin, but they are nice amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

If you liked the Twin, check out the Deluxe Reverb. It's darker, and way lighter and easier to transport.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If you liked the Twin, check out the Deluxe Reverb. It's darker, and way lighter and easier to transport.

but you don't stay clean as long, very different if you are going to be turning it up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
but you don't stay clean as long, very different if you are going to be turning it up.

That's true, but the 22W on the DRRI is deceiving, in my experience. It has tons of headroom. Sounds less sterile to my ears, too, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much more than the Twin. The DRRI is one of those "dream amps" for me, one I would get in an instant if I had a studio type situation. The Twin I've played just didn't really do anything for me, it doesn't seem to have the depth and warmth (darkness) the DRRI has.

IME, YMMV.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
That's true, but the 22W on the DRRI is deceiving, in my experience. It has tons of headroom. Sounds less sterile to my ears, too, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much more than the Twin. The DRRI is one of those "dream amps" for me, one I would get in an instant if I had a studio type situation. The Twin I've played just didn't really do anything for me, it doesn't seem to have the depth and warmth (darkness) the DRRI has.

IME, YMMV.

i have played a DRRI quite a bit. the good thing is that it breaks up at a decent volumes for jamming in my studio. TRRI's are nice too, i just wanted the OP to realize the different in breakup.

if i were to buy another fender amp, i would go with a blackface twin or something. i have an AB165 bassman is great.

also music man's bigger offerings are stellar. i love my 130w HD212. they are hybrid, but they are excellent.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by Offworld92

Quote by Offworld92

I have the super champ XD that I will port around, and practice play with friends. I can mic it, if I need to... but I think I've changed my mind about the ValveKing and decided to go with a Twin Reverb, Vintage or Reissue, when I can find one for 6 or 7 dollars close to Phoenix. When I was in GC, I spent an hour with that VOX and couldn't find a voice I liked. I plugged in the Twin Reverb and instantly, on the clean channel, I was blown away, and then when I went Verbrato, I was even more blown away. I came home and started researching it and realize that most if not everyone that plays them loves them dearly and don't want to part with them.

I think I'm sold. I just dont want to drop $1449 retail, I'd rather get one half that if I can.
Last edited by MistaChy at Jan 12, 2014,
Quote by MistaChy
I went to GC today and herd the vox AC30C2. I also heard the twin reverb fender reissue. that amp made me not plug the vox back in. how is the twin reverb compared to the valveking?

the Fender is a long time staple of pros and costs 3-4 times what a VK does so not really a fair comparison. Fender is best known for their clean sounds particularly when paired with a fender guitar. the VK sounds good for what it is a budget amp. I'd never tell a guy that could afford a Twin Reverb to go with a VK if that is the sound he wants. the guy that can't afford one but likes that sound could do worse than the VK.

Vox is a very different sound than Fender and not interchangeable
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i3594243.gc

I know absolutely nothing about the different models, but there are a few on GC around this price.
TRRI are pretty sterile sounding at bedroom levels but, you have to understand the idea behind the amps conception. It was designed to be an amp that didn't need to be mic'd in live situations, while many people do mic them now they originally and still are loud ass clean amps. I am planning on getting an attenuator for mine soon, while it will still be relatively clean getting those tubes hot is a necessity for Twin Reverbs. A second note is the inputs of the amp, each channel has two inputs (correct me if I'm wrong) but the first input on each channel has a lower impedance giving you a larger amount of output gain. If i plug my paul into the normal channel first input and put it around 5-6 my ears are dying but it can get some nice blues breakup. The two problems i have with my twin are one, the weight but it's not that bad anymore (do you even lift bro) and two, when using a humbucker equipped guitar the open back cab can be kinda flubby on the low frequencies. I usually keep my bass pot around 1-4.

Edit: Twin Reverb 2's are worse then the reissues in my experiences, if you want to pay 600-700 for a twin....buy a silver face.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Last edited by Reverb&Reggae at Jan 12, 2014,
I made the decision to get the Vox AC30C2, over the TRRI. I'm wondering if I made the right decision. I've experienced that the TR has so much head room that it doesnt crunch/break up at mid levels and it just stays clean as others have stated. In testing the AC30, I realize that the tone is high manipulable with just adjusting the master volume and channel levels to get a brilliant crunch with just turning the volume up on the guitar. But I find myself questioning the decision because I'm wondering if I could have achieved the same thing with the TR by just using an overdrive pedal.

I really do like the VOX, but should I be questioning myself for forgoing the Twin?
Before it seemed like you didn't like the Vox. I say you probably shouldn't have gotten one, or felt pressured to get one or the other. I would have ordered a DRRI, tested it out, then used GCs return policy if it didn't work out for you. But based off of what you just said, a DRRI probably would be perfect (like a Twin with less headroom).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MistaChy
I made the decision to get the Vox AC30C2, over the TRRI. I'm wondering if I made the right decision. I've experienced that the TR has so much head room that it doesnt crunch/break up at mid levels and it just stays clean as others have stated. In testing the AC30, I realize that the tone is high manipulable with just adjusting the master volume and channel levels to get a brilliant crunch with just turning the volume up on the guitar. But I find myself questioning the decision because I'm wondering if I could have achieved the same thing with the TR by just using an overdrive pedal.

I really do like the VOX, but should I be questioning myself for forgoing the Twin?

you won't get a twin to open up. deluxe reverbs are the ones meant for cranking and getting some natural OD.

Vox AC30C2's are certainly fine amplifiers.

just think about it. its not like either is going to disappear in the next 24 hours.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

After reading this the conclusion is obvious. The amp you should be aiming at is an old blackface Fender Twin. Save your shekels and keep watching the used market until a nice one pops up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Twin to an AC30? That's a big jump...

Hey I love the vox cleans as much as anyone, but they're very different from the big fender cleans.
CEC guitar amps maybe.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Offworld92
Before it seemed like you didn't like the Vox. I say you probably shouldn't have gotten one, or felt pressured to get one or the other. I would have ordered a DRRI, tested it out, then used GCs return policy if it didn't work out for you. But based off of what you just said, a DRRI probably would be perfect (like a Twin with less headroom).

you're right. I didn't like the vox at first, but I was also an infant, and still am as it regards knowing anything about anything. it grew on me especially when I learned how to use it. I have 30 days to return the vox. I can still buy a deluxe, but isn't the ac30 louder and fuller?
Last edited by MistaChy at Jan 31, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
After reading this the conclusion is obvious. The amp you should be aiming at is an old blackface Fender Twin. Save your shekels and keep watching the used market until a nice one pops up.

not sure where I would be able to hear one of these
Not a lot of stuff is louder than AC30s

though you might prefer the deluxe's sound, even if it has less headroom.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You should make appointments to go play some of these amps.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/msg/4306355142.html Fender Twin
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4294739275.html Fender SuperSonic
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4299160557.html Fender HRD
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4293803421.html Fender Blues Deville
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/msg/4292833724.html Traynor YCS-50
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/msg/4311444568.html Egnater Renegade
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/msg/4295650690.html Fender SuperSonic
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4290761818.html Fender SuperReverb
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4309196731.html Princeton Reverb
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/msd/4285881270.html Fender SuperSonic
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4301469895.html Egnater Renegade
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4297236776.html Fender Vibro Champ
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/msg/4306352851.html Fender Twin RI
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/msg/4306062311.html Never seen one of these
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/msg/4284720526.html Fender HRD
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4280077688.html Fender Bassman and cab
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/msg/4303080671.html Fender Twin
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/msg/4266668216.html Fender Twin

Damn, those were all posted in the last week. Now, I'm not a Fender expert but the point is made. I do know that a Twin is a hellva lot cleaner than a Blues Deluxe or a Bassman but I was surprised as to the number of Fender amps.
Check out a Budda SD18ii before peavey bought them... Although I have tried the new stuff so that might be an option.
I went and tested a deluxe reverb today. the issue is there is no controlling when it breaks up. i have to hit certain levels in volume before its too loud to really enjoy some mellow crunch. with the ac30, i just turn up the channel volume and lower the gain and im crunchin' like captain crunch.
Page 1 of 2