So, i bought and amp, Jet City JCA50 to be exact, and it doesn't have a reverb. I dont mind, since it has a killer higain tone that i really like, and since we play like that most of the time, i figured it doesnt really matter, ill just use my zoom G3 for the ocasional reverb in clean tones.

Well, turns out that it sucks, so now i need a few actual pedals. Im gonna put an overdrive in front of the amp for leads and now i need to figure out if i need a reverb or a delay to put in the effects loop.

I would use it mainly for cleans, so im guessing a reverb pedal would be better for that. But what about for leads? Is reverb just as good as delay for solos, or not? Would a delay pedal be equaly useful for cleans as well as for high gain leads? We dont really have any clean solos, so thats not an issue. And what are some good bargain delay and reverb pedals? I dont really want to get a rack unit since they are to pricy for me, and i dont wanna lug around a rack with one unit in it.

Thanks!
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Get both! Both are very versatile effects and well worth having. I couldnt choose between them, theyre both great
http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1615

check out that link there- the loop in the jet city is slightly weird so not all pedals work in it. I don't think that link is exhaustive, but it's better than nothing.

fwiw i'd probably prefer reverb for cleans but delay for high gain solos.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Yeah, i found out about the wonky loop after i tried to put an overdrive in it. It seemed like my amp was dying... Anyway, im not sure i have the money for both effects, so wich one would come in better? Its a tough one since i have at least a small lead or clean part in almost every song.
I'd go for the delay, some of them can do a decent slapback type reverb, unless you really need a good reverb sound
Quote by gorkyporky
Yeah, i found out about the wonky loop after i tried to put an overdrive in it. It seemed like my amp was dying... Anyway, im not sure i have the money for both effects, so wich one would come in better? Its a tough one since i have at least a small lead or clean part in almost every song.

Wait, you put an overdrive in the effect loop?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I'd get delay first. If it's a nice pedal you can set it up to kinda do the same job as a reverb. If you set the delay time to be really fast, the volume knob low and the feedback control to taste it would thicken up your cleans nicely. It's not a reverb effect outright, but it's also not a bad compromise until you get one.

If your delay pedal of choice can store presets, you could have one for cleans and one for leads.
Quote by bluestratplayer

yeah you shouldn't really put od in the loop

regarding delay versus reverb, i guess it's just a matter of looking up specs etc.- if you don't need too complex delays, some reverb pedals (I think ) have basic delay settings (and the reverse may be true for some delay pedals regarding basic reverb).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by bluestratplayer

I wanted to use it as a clean boost or whatever... Don't mock me, this is my first tube amp
ah right yeah that might work ok if you're careful (and the loop was a sensible design)
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I'd go with delay. I think a delay can do reverb better than reverb can do delay.

If you do go with reverb, check out the ehx holy grail, it has "flerb" so you get a bonus light duty flanger.

Btw, I agree with you on the g3 sounding like ass through an amp. Its a great practice tool and headphone amp but even cheap pedals sound so much better through an amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 4, 2014,
Get both, use them separate and together, lots of options. I always have one of them on.

If you can only afford one, get the delay. Like others said you can pull off some reverb sounds from a delay pedal but not the other way around. I highly recommend the carbon copy, I like its modulation button and you can get some slap back reverb sounds
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Last edited by pawnluv at Jul 4, 2014,
Another vote here for reverb. It's the kind of pedal you can can leave on the whole set.
For cleans, reverb makes it sound nice and full. Buuuuuuut, I LOVE messing around with delay pedals. Not only do they bring life to lead tones, but you can also get really creative with different settings!
I usually use a bit of both, but I never play clean without reverb and I usually always use delay with distortion. I find delay to work better in higher gain situations.
I would get both. You might find that putting delay on the clean parts would really help to add some lush ambience for certain songs, on the other hand, a bit of reverb might be all the lead tone needs sometimes. It's good to have options.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
I guess I'm in the minority here, but if you have to pick one I'd pick the reverb. Delay can be set to be decent for cleans, but do you plan on going back and forth on the setting everytime you switch from lead to cleans? Reverb is perfect for cleans, and it works pretty good for leads. It sounds pretty good for leads, it's just kinda too subtle. With the delay, you have to compromise more than you have to compromise with the reverb.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
IIRC those things have a line level loop so be careful what you put in there, most pedals will distort in the loop. Maybe look for an old Alesis Quadraverb; they love line level and you'll get both reverb and delay (and quite good ones). You see them on ebay really cheap these days. You can switch them with keyboards sustain pedals - also cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I prefer delay, but sometimes the room your playing in is just truely awful and you need that verb to comphensate for it. So how are your surroundings? If its not a great sounding space get the verb, if its passable get the delay.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Cathbard
IIRC those things have a line level loop so be careful what you put in there, most pedals will distort in the loop. Maybe look for an old Alesis Quadraverb; they love line level and you'll get both reverb and delay (and quite good ones). You see them on ebay really cheap these days. You can switch them with keyboards sustain pedals - also cheap.

this. very few pedals have the headroom for line level (+4dbu); they only want instrument level (-10dbv). line level is for racks. the only companies i know off the top of my head that give their pedals enough headroom to accept line level are empress, eventide, and strymon. also the boss twin pedals like the dd-20 and eq-20 are switchable between instrument and line level. but make sure you check the website/manuals first.