just when i think i'm becoming a half decent / hobby level guitar tech i go do something so stupid i can only look back and laugh.

this picture cracks me up.

strings attached? neck attached? i swear i'm the first millennial, so frigging lazy.

i got lucky. don't be stupid like me. this is probably the first time in a long history of cutting corners and blowing off steps that it didn't bite me in the ars.

remember 6 P's! Proper planning prevents piss poor performance!

this concludes the PSA of the day.

conduit closing.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Put a pickguard over it.

Even if you didn't drill out the wrong side of the guitar, how would you manage to drill out the channel that feeds the wires from the killswitch to the control cavity?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
did i drill the wrong size?  it seems to fit perfectly.  

the back is double drilled, first with a 1 3/4" for the cover recess, then a 1" to put the back side of the switch mounting ring on.  then a cross drill channel to the pot cavity.  

4 bits, 2 holes.  boom.  
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 9, 2017,
How did you manage to drill out the channel to the cavity for the killswitch and keep the channel straight? It doesn't seem like there would be any working room to orient the drill properly.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Proper planning puts me off ever doing anything
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
T00DEEPBLUE 

Exactly what I would do - hide it under a pickguard. There is a saying in the army - "If you can't move it, paint it, if you can't paint it, put a sign in front of it"

I was also wondering about channels. Those top-mounted pickups don't leave much manoeuvring room.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How did you manage to drill out the channel to the cavity for the killswitch and keep the channel straight? It doesn't seem like there would be any working room to orient the drill properly.

from behind. on an angle in that direction straight through into the pot cavity. pretty easy actually with a long bit.

why on earth would i want to hide the switch? Tony Done T00DEEPBLUE ??

it's right where it's supposed to be.

guys - that's a guitarist named eddie van halen. he designed the wolfgang guitar and named his son after it.
it's got a red killswitch as seen in the pic. the cheapo mexi versions don't have this, so i added it.

what the hell is it short bus day?
gregs1020 
Quote by gregs1020

guys - that's a guitarist named eddie van halen.  he designed the wolfgang guitar and named his son after it.  
it's got a red killswitch as seen in the pic.  the cheapo mexi versions don't have this, so i added it.  

I think I've heard Buckethead use the killswitch way more than Eddie. Gibson put TWO on his signature guitar, though he only had one on his guitar when I first saw him. I have the killswitches on my LPs where the old upper tone control used to be (I moved the master volume control forward of the usual LP quad and put it up by the bridge/bridge pickup). So sorta more where Butthead has his...

The right location for a killswitch is wherever it works best for you. 

Last edited by dspellman at Mar 9, 2017,
Quote by gregs1020
from behind.  on an angle in that direction straight through into the pot cavity.    pretty easy actually with a long bit.  

Whatever makes her happy. 
Quote by Tony Done
gregs1020 

Apologies, I misunderstood the context from not reading your original post carefully enough. - I thought you had botched the switch itself.

no worries Tony Done , i knew one of us was misunderstanding something, typically it's me.

i thought you and T00DEEPBLUE were trolling me at first since i had the word "stupid" in the title. and i was falling for it.

dspellman i'm surprised more people don't move the vol knob on a LP closer to where it is in relation to the bridge pup, like on a strat. some people hate the strat for it being there but it's never been an issue for me. i anchor my pinky on it a lot of the time. (which is probably bad technique) but it's obviously a good place for it to be for doing swells.

Quote by dspellman
Whatever makes her happy. 

words to live by.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 9, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
There is a saying in the army - "If you can't move it, paint it, if you can't paint it, put a sign in front of it"

hahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by gregs1020
from behind. on an angle in that direction straight through into the pot cavity. pretty easy actually with a long bit.

Interesting. I would've thought that would be a PITA.
Quote by gregs1020
guys - that's a guitarist named eddie van halen. he designed the wolfgang guitar and named his son after it.
it's got a red killswitch as seen in the pic. the cheapo mexi versions don't have this, so i added it.

what the hell is it short bus day?

I meant putting a pickguard over the hole you drilled out by accident to make it look like you did it intentionally.

But it seems like the kill button fits in the hole fine so there doesn't seem to be a problem like I thought there would be
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
\I meant putting a pickguard over the hole you drilled out by accident to make it look like you did it intentionally.

But it seems like the kill button fits in the hole fine so there doesn't seem to be a problem like I thought there would be

everything i did was intentional. not sure what accident occurred? i was just lazy as fuck and didn't even bother to take the strings off the guitar before drilling into it.

Quote by gregs1020
everything i did was intentional. not sure what accident occurred? i was just lazy as fuck and didn't even bother to take the strings off the guitar before drilling into it.

Wait; that was the only fail in this whole debacle?

I thought the fail was that you drilled out the wrong side of the guitar.
Quote by TheSennaj
no no no. the red switch is right where it should be, just like on his tour guitar. there wasn't any mishap, just lazy ass-d stupidity in general.

the finish on these things is weird. it's chipped away a little around the cavity area and there's paint over what looks like a sorta clear layer. the clear layer is thicker than the paint but still overall very thin. i guess if someone wanted to repaint it a heat gun and scraper could pull it all off in no time. i do not want or see the need to do so, i'm just saying that "if" someone wanted to it would likely come off pretty quick.
Must've been hard for you greg considering you posted this just now and you buggered that up last month
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
now what the hell are you saying? i bought this guitar this month. wtf?

kids, don't do drugs.
Quote by gregs1020
now what the hell are you saying?  i bought this guitar this month.  wtf?  

kids, don't do drugs.  

I could've sworn I saw you post that image a while ago when somebody was talking about installing a buckethead switch on an LP here. My mind must be playing tricks on me

That or the drugs
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 17, 2017,
Refrigerator.

i just wanted the posts to be as equally confusing. this thread has serious potential.

gregs1020

???

PS are quotes broken for anybody else?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 17, 2017,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

PS are quotes broken for anybody else?

Let's see

EDIT: nope working ok for me
This has been the worst, most entertaining thread on here in months. I fully blame it on you telling people not to be stupid.

At least I now know that if I screw up any drilling on my guitar I can cover it up with a perfectly placed, fully functioning kill switch. Although why you'd want it on the back of the guitar I have no idea.
Quote by von Layzonfon
This has been the worst, most entertaining thread on here in months. I fully blame it on you telling people not to be stupid.

At least I now know that if I screw up any drilling on my guitar I can cover it up with a perfectly placed, fully functioning kill switch. Although why you'd want it on the back of the guitar I have no idea.

my threads usually end up like this.

i blame people not reading the instructions all the time but i know that's not it.
Quote by gregs1020
my threads usually end up like this.  

i blame people not reading the instructions all the time but i know that's not it.

Needs more Ratt
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
As a wise man once said:

weeks of coding can save hours of planning
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'