As said in the title, what happened to the price of the Sterling JP60? I used to own one about 4 years ago and i bought it used for $500 aud. I regularly saw them new for $700 aud on Ebay. It was always one of the nicest guitars I played and I want to purchase it again new this time, but why is it suddenly so damn expensive? Not a single listing is below $1000. Am I missing something here?
Has the AUD depreciated significantly? That might be all there is to it. Or costs might be rising as well. I know prices here have gone up significantly as well (and new prices usually start to influence used prices before too long).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Oh I agree with you, it's sort of the same here. I was just trying to give a possible explanation for why the prices seem to be rising.

It seems to be that when you query the price compared to what it goes for in the USA, you're told it's to hedge because of possible future currency movements. Yet when there's a currency movement the price seems to increase as well...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

^ Yeah agreed.

I don't really understand what you mean by ""I've also thought that what I call "inventory risk" is factory."

(Maybe I'm just being silly )
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Oh I see

I do crappy typos like that all the time too, don't worry
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Tony Done
Dave_Mc

Nah, just my senile typos. It should read "inventory risk is a factor".

Sometime early in 2007, Gibson had to set its new prices for 2008. When they set them, gas had been skyrocketing, so shipping costs had been going through the roof as well and Gibson had to project for all of that in their 2008 model year pricing. Needless to say, when the new models actually hit the racks at the much higher prices, the 2008 recession began, and they got hosed mightily for the price rise in a severely depressed economy. More importantly, stores that had laid in ample inventory of guitars at those higher prices were mostly stuck with those guitars against declining prices the next year. 
News just in:

Alton Towers unveils new ride that represents the current value of Sterling.

Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Recommended threads