Not specific to any particular brand, except I do like the look of the PRS models, the higher end Squires would do. As far as playing style and what I like to play is pretty irrelevant at this point, I've only been playing less that a year and haven't found a single thing that I prefer over the other. However, the guitar I'm using is a Ibanez Gio, fair guitar but it doesn't seem to fit me, I original bought it because it looked cool and seemed like a lot of guitar for the money, all true but just doesn't seem right for me. I guess I'm looking for comfort over features, not really interested in the type or number of pickups and stuff like that as much as I am looking for comfort and just all around playability. 500 is what I got to spend. If you had that to spend without any particulars what would you get.

Thanks
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by SanDune65
If you had that to spend without any particulars what would you get.

I'd go to a guitar store, play a ton of guitars and see what kind of preferences I have towards body style, pickup combinations, neck profile, bridges, neck construction etc.

You've said that you've not got preferences towards any particular guitar other than "all around playability" so how can you expect someone on a forum to know what you want. There are literally thousands of options just from how vague you are in describing the guitar you want. You have to be more specific than that.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
500 what? sex slaves? USD? EURO? shiny pebbles?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!*** NEW NEW NEW!
2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jeffrey.binns
I still cannot find anything I like better than my 'budget' ESP, for metal anyway:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YID4ZQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's got SUPER slim neck and even my cocktail frank fingers I can make decent chordage :-)

I am glad that you like yours but his budget could do much better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
OK, well lI love it so that's what matters to me :-)  

Op's 'not a good fit' is also vague as all hell, what DON'T you like?  Action? Neck shape? Body? Like other said, you give not a helluve a lot to go on. AND what style you play does influence recommendations, despite your statement to the contrary...
I understand what your saying, but does a guy thats been playing less than a year really know what he wants, and has he had time to even develop a style, probably not. I do know what I want, I just dont have a couple grand laying around at the moment. The GC here is pretty small and is usually loaded, I cant never find an open amp. Fighting my way around I have felt up pretty much everything they have in my price range, except for some reason the ESP EC-246, which after doing some research im actualy leaning towards, but still yet to hold one. EPI Les Paul standard - $419 / Squire CV - $399 / PRS SE Standard - $499 / PRS 245 - $499 are on the short list. My intent is to have a good base platform, pickups and stuff can be changed down the road I guess. Maybe later I'll have a clearer understanding of all the details and componets I would like, but for now I'll have to try and tap into the many years of experience here.

Thanks
Flying in a blue dream
what do u mean comfort?
i use to hate wizard necks.. then i learned how to play the guitar 
also do you find yourself wanting to play with a tremolo ? 
ps rent a cheapish reliable guitar for a year and save 400 (sex slaves of course)
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Mar 14, 2017,
With $500 for a new guitar and no genre specifics, one of my first inclinations would be to check out G&L's Tribute line.
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/index_new.asp
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
No specific genre? Either an HSS strat of sorts, which the G & L Tribute would cover, or the PRS SE with the coil splits. 

The ESP mentioned is a vanilla HH with a Floyd Rose Special--come on. A Floyd on a new guitar under $500 is generally not a good idea, and being newer to guitars, is more work than other bridges. Plus, it's a Special--the entry-level Floyd.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587
*mods
Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
With $500 for a new guitar and no genre specifics, one of my first inclinations would be to check out G&L's Tribute line.

I think for versatility, an HSS Strat or the PRS SE line with the coil-splitting would be the best options.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587
*mods
Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by dannyalcatraz

i personally don't care for the necks. too fat and too sticky from that gloss.
i think the best bet for SanDune65 is to go play as many as he can in that price range.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
bjgrifter even a tele style guitar with a hum and single would be a good call.

i think fender just released the Duo sonic line and one has a single and hum with coil tapping and the other has 2 singles.
pretty sure they are right around 500USD.
but it does have a shorter neck.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Mar 16, 2017,
Quote by SanDune65
I understand what your saying, but does a guy thats been playing less than a year really know what he wants, and has he had time to even develop a style, probably not. I do know what I want, I just dont have a couple grand laying around at the moment. The GC here is pretty small and is usually loaded, I cant never find an open amp. Fighting my way around I have felt up pretty much everything they have in my price range, except for some reason the ESP EC-246, which after doing some research im actualy leaning towards, but still yet to hold one. EPI Les Paul standard - $419 / Squire CV - $399 / PRS SE Standard - $499 / PRS 245 - $499 are on the short list. My intent is to have a good base platform, pickups and stuff can be changed down the road I guess. Maybe later I'll have a clearer understanding of all the details and componets I would like, but for now I'll have to try and tap into the many years of experience here.

Thanks

thats like saying you just got your license and don't know what car you would want.
pick some features and try to find them in a guitar you want.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by SanDune65
EPI Les Paul standard - $419 / Squire CV - $399 / PRS SE Standard - $499 / PRS 245 - $499 are on the short list.
All perfectly solid options, as are several of those suggested by others.

The thing is, there's a lot more that can be done to narrow things down. You don't need to have a style developed - what kind of music do you listen to at present? If you see yourself playing anything in the metal or hard rock realm then a bridge humbucker will be seriously useful, while something like funk or ska may benefit from singlecoils. If it's both, then the HSS Strat (or something similar; most Strat necks would not be my go-to for metal) suggestion is a solid bet. If heavier stuff isn't really on your radar than SSS - or an SS Telecaster - might be a better option (though there are other things, like jazz, which often feature humbuckers). Is there anything specific you don't like about your Ibanez? Thin necks can be divisive - some love them and some hate them. Are there any particular guitarists' tones you really like? What guitars do you like the look of more?
I actually took a day off and spent most of it playing everything hanging on the wall. I ended up walking out with a LTD EC-401QM for under $500, it was listed at 699 then they stuck a sale sticker on it, went to the truck and gave them the GIO for store credit. Totally blown away, not only is it a major step up but it has all the details and features I orginaly specified . Kind of a dark red mate semi flame top, the neck fits my hand like a glove. I guess other than the price and quility, the pickups were an extreme difference and just kinda got me, the bridge sounds like it could break glass while the neck is smooth as silk. I had it plugged to an orange amp in the store, I have small Fender bedroom unit so...
Anyway thanks, I'm happy with it. I rekon I'll post up some pics here shortly.
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by Iceman10129
All around, you gotta go tele!

Not if it's single coils and you want to do the br00tz. You don't see black metal dudes ripping it with SC's in a tele that looks better placed in Nashville. Yes, Jim Root has a Telecaster, but that's with EMG 81/85's. Point being, the Tele is nice, it may not be the best option. 
Guitar/Bass:
*mods
Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
bjgrifter he never said he wanted to play black metal.  A tele can cover more genres than any other guitar in that price range.  Plus have you have heard a tele bridge pickup play metal, they sound fucking great!
Says invalid image, ill try again later. A mention of the G&L was brought up, which felt better than anything in that style and price range and I was pretty much sold on a Tribute for $424 until they put that sale sticker on the LTD. Being new and somewhat uneducated in the world of guitars, all I ever heard was Gibson and Fender, there are other brands that were mentioned but I guess all I wanted to hear were the big two. Still would love to have one of those, but I'm happy and content knowing there is some really good equipment made by others. Lovin the new gear, really digging those EMG pickups.
Flying in a blue dream
Last edited by SanDune65 at Mar 17, 2017,
There are millions of guitarists in the world, and we don't all like the same stuff. That's why there are thousands of guitar makers out there.

Odds are good these days that, if you have to venture off the beaten path, you'll find something close to your ideal axe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by Iceman10129
bjgrifter he never said he wanted to play black metal.  A tele can cover more genres than any other guitar in that price range.  Plus have you have heard a tele bridge pickup play metal, they sound fucking great!

Depends on how the tele is configured. Your general Tele has 2 single coils, so if you want to get into more extreme metal, it's not the best choice, and an HSS strat might be a a better choice if you also like blues or country. The G&L ASAT is a tele with a humbucker in the neck and an SC in the bridge, but that's not the traditional tele. 
Guitar/Bass:
*mods
Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by SanDune65
500 is what I got to spend. If you had that to spend without any particulars what would you get.

Given that you have no specific needs or preferences, what *I* would get is also immaterial. 

Given my experience to date, however, I'd budget a couple of hundred of the total in case I wanted to have a setup done with superglued frets and a PLEK job. I've actually spent more on that kind of setup than the guitar itself was worth, but the end result was a guitar that played as well as anything on the market. It can also make a material change in the sound of a guitar (I think that's largely due to the superglued frets), and it seems to eliminate a lot of the "dead" frets that happen on large-volume manufactured guitars. 
We also need to know what you have access to. There are a very slim number of guitars that crop up globally, and while they may not be optimum for your budget, it may be all that you have to work with. I'm in Los Angeles, with a huge array of guitars available both new and used. 

It might also matter how flexible that budget is. For me, $500 is almost a no-man's land of guitars. I can get good "cheap" brand guitars for that or less, but I can't get into Carvin, Taylor (electric), Suhr, Tom Anderson, etc., and I can't walk into the vintage stores or the various guitar shows with multiple vendors and walk away with anything good. 
Quote by bjgrifter
Depends on how the tele is configured. Your general Tele has 2 single coils, so if you want to get into more extreme metal, it's not the best choice, and an HSS strat might be a a better choice if you also like blues or country. The G&L ASAT is a tele with a humbucker in the neck and an SC in the bridge, but that's not the traditional tele. 
If you like country you can't go around putting silly things like humbuckers or Strat singlecoils in that bridge position

Quote by SanDune65
Nothing shows up for me
It 404ed me, too.

alhaq369
Quote by K33nbl4d3
If you like country you can't go around putting silly things like humbuckers or Strat singlecoils in that bridge position

But what if he wants a djenty Honky Tonk Badonkadonk?

I think the point I was trying got sidetracked. A jack-of-all-trades seems to favor an HSS (or even an HSH) over an SS or SSS configuration.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods
Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by bjgrifter
But what if he wants a djenty Honky Tonk Badonkadonk?
Then he's shit out of luck Unless Filtertrons can djent, I guess...

Quote by bjgrifter
I think the point I was trying got sidetracked.
Yes

Quote by bjgrifter
A jack-of-all-trades seems to favor an HSS over an SS or SSS configuration.
Yes, if higher-gain sounds are a reasonably major priority

Quote by bjgrifter
(or even an HSH)

Being (mostly) serious, though, I do understand what you're getting at. The thing is, though, in terms of pickup configurations, there isn't really an "all-round" option. You take things away to put other things in their place. A guitar with two humbuckers and a middle singlecoil (also known as an "obstruction") wouldn't be able to produce well most of the sounds you'd actually want singlecoils for. Sure, an HSS is a good compromise in that it can manage a decent amount of singlecoil territory and a decent amount of humbucker solid territory. Even then, though, you want a twangy bridge singlecoil sound? It's not there. Likewise, rolling back the tone might just do it for jazz but if you want smooth metal leads on the neck pickup you'll feel the lack of a humbucker there. Thankfully, nobody ever really wants a jack of all trades - they want a jack of an assortment of trades that they're into. One guy's jack of all trades might mean lots of different kinds of metal and maybe some blues, maybe some country. It's not perfect for everything but he'll probably be best served by two humbuckers. You can give him a middle singlecoil too but he won't use it Meanwhile another person might mean by that mostly funk, ska, some dad rock, and occasionally hard rock or metal. His jack of all trades may well be better served by SS or SSS because it's serviceable for the higher-gain stuff but more importantly can get the full range of sounds for the things that are more important to that individual.

I know it's a bit rambly and probably somewhat obvious but my point (which I'm fully aware isn't unique, either) is basically that thinking of HSS as versatile and the natural response to someone wanting a jack of all trades is not necessarily the most appropriate response. It covers a lot of ground, but for much of that it's usable rather than ideal. By adding one thing you're always leaving out another thing*, and I would say the range covered by an HSS configuration isn't (much) more than that covered by an SS or SSS or HH configuration, only it's maybe a little closer to the middle of the range of things people want to play. It's limiting all the same

*Unless you have a Variax, of course.
Variax: the magic word to conjure dspellman.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods
Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Especially if you say it three times...

alhaq369
500 is a weird and bad budget point.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Looking back, if I had to do it all over again, and if not for stumbling on to this killer deal, I probably would have waited and saved a couple more hundred. The 500 range is kinda weird, it seems your almost getting out of the starter type and being teased by higher end stuff. In fact if this guitar had not be on sale I probably would have waited to save more for it, and it would have been worth it. I'm really digging this guitar, being a carpenter by trade I appreciate the craftsmanship, as far as fit and finish I cant see a single flaw, it looks and feels like one solid piece of wood. Frets feel amazing, jumbo I reckon, they are compared to the GIO anyway. The Grover tuners aren't locking but they feel super smooth and stay in tune. I like the configuration of everything, Les Paul designs have never felt all that comfortable to me, but this thing is ergonomically comfortable. The neck is slicker than whale snot, speaking of the neck it fits my hand size almost perfect, maybe just a tad bit thicker than the Ibanez neck but certainly wider which is a plus for me. I have long skinny fingers, I seem to play the acoustic just a bit better than the electric, not sure what's up with that but it is what it is. I think the overall look of this guitar is pretty sweet. In the store, they had two hanging on the wall and apparently one in the back in a box. One of the ones hanging on the wall had a wicked awesome finish, much lighter than this one, the other one hanging was a lot darker, almost got that one but of course wanted the one in the box which turned out to be somewhere in between the two as far as finish. I definitely LOVE the sound of the pickups, in fact I love everything about it. Fingers are burning, might need to take a break but don't want to, been consumed by it, house is a mess, dishes pilling up. I need to take a day off just to catch up on stuff, but I'll just spend that time playing. Anyway lovin the new purchase, thanks gang.
Flying in a blue dream
Beautiful guitar dude. The Ltd 400+ series are excellent, I've got an ex400 that I love.

Next time ask to play all 3 in the store. Very slight differences might make you lean towards one more.
nice guitar enjoy it!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by bjgrifter
Variax: the magic word to conjure dspellman.

*Poof!*  Not so much in a $500 thread, though. 

When I went for "versatile," it was usually an HSH guitar with fairly high output humbuckers. 

Gibson actually had a pretty decent wiring scheme for these with the M III variants (including some LPs with that configuration like the Studio Lite Mk III, above). They used a miniswitch to choose between the basic configurations. One of those was the strat, in which the five-way operated exactly as you'd expect and the humbuckers were split. When you have high output humbuckers, they'll split into pretty decent single coils, so you do get all the strat quack, etc..

The second configuration (flick that miniswitch) eliminated the middle pickup from the circuit, and the back three positions on the five-way operated just like the three-way on an LP. The fourth position was some kind of enhanced "both selected" HH selection, and all the way forward (working from memory, here) was a kill switch (as in "off", not as in Buckethead). 
Thanks guys, yeah kind of a newbie mistake I guess in not thinking of sampling all 3 for slight differences.
Flying in a blue dream
Schecter traditional custom, great guitar. Best in this price range for versatility imo. HSS with push pull pot, ash body, Wilkinson trem. Check it out if you can find one man.
Ibanez VBT700
Schecter Traditional Custom (Black Winter)
Orange Micro Dark
Line 6 Flextone 112
Big Muff
MXR Micro Amp

Squier Classic Vibs 70's Precision
Ampeg BA110V2