Page 1 of 2
Hey guys! One of the biggest (if no the biggest) searches in any instrumentalists life is the pursuit of tone. I would like to see what people want in their tone from all different genres from metal to funk, anything. I'll start, a 1965 Fender Mustang through a Marshall Plexi (Super Lead) for dirtier tones with a deluxe reverb for cleans. That's what I've found fits me and I also use stuff like 9s for strings, 1.0 Tortex picks, and of course the most important part my own fingers.
Tough to say, everytime I've got it my taste changes or I find something even better, but so far my favorite sound for what I do is a Mark IV lead channel with my Silhouette (CrunchLab and Liquifire pickups), a bit of delay for good measure.

Cleans, I really enjoyed my old Silverface Super 6 Reverb, but I still haven't found clean tones I truly love. Honestly my favorite clean tones have been found on my Helix using both Twin and AC30 models, again with delay and a bit of reverb. This with PAF pickups is a delicious sound.

Metal rhythm sounds, definitely a Rectifier. My Road King pretty much nails it with some Tubescreamer type in front. Again, CrunchLab in my Silhouette.

Crunch, I like things based on old Marshalls, but the old Plexis I have tried actually weren't all that great I really liked the Krank Chadwick, so that or something similar.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
a fender '63 vibroverb RI is my clean tone.

always working on the dirty tone.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 18, 2017,
my Rockerverb and tremoverb take care of my dirt (and cleans if i want) my Rivera covers the cleans for a perfect clean for me.

a buncha' pedals. I have a board for each amp.

guitar wise, my 52AVRI tele, Gibson LP, and quintet of ibanez prestigei.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!*** NEW NEW NEW!
2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I prefer 9's as well, and some where around a .7 pick.  But that doesn't effect my tone so much as what I like the feel of.

As far as tone, I annoy the sh*t out of my wife (she has told me this many times), by playing the same few songs over and over and over every time I'm doing a comparison, or get a new piece of equipment.  These are usually Master of Puppets, Fade to Black, Nothin' But a Good Time, Round & Round, Detroit Rock City.  I just know these songs so well, that I know what I'm listening for.  If I feel the piece of equipment gets me the tone I'm after, or close to it, I usually keep it.

But this has helped me to know what kind of amps, guitars, pick ups, speakers, etc that I like.  But I'm ALWAYS trying new things and regularly find other options I love after I thought I'd found my tone. 

or if you're on TGP

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
moving target and not about any particular piece of gear. already learned that what you think you want and what you really need aren't always the same thing (life lesson that goes for many things) .  i have tones in my head and it isn't just one but rather various tones for certain styles of music / situations. i try to tailor my gear around those ideas. i also spend a fair bit of time exploring the gear i have rather than just say i need something new.  the whole "i just need ____ to make my tone perfect idea is wishful thinking and just leads to unhappiness. 
monwobobbo 

"Moving target" describes it well. 

It depends a lot on my mood and how much acoustic I've been playing, but generally speaking it is thick, bright and acoustic-like. If it has any OD at all it isn't enough to turn into sonic mush if I play a (fingerpicked) chord fairly hard. It could be P90 pickup into the clean channel of my H&K or the gain channel set almost clean for a bit of grit - A lot of harmonic content.
ideally the sound of a thousand matches igniting on glass

any away from wet fart bottoms and hissy tops. the former being much worse

ps. cant stand amps that are all MIIIIIDS either  
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Mar 14, 2017,
70s Fender Strat into a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212. Add a Boss CH-2. Maybe a Fulltone OCD for some drive. EHX Memory Man for Delays. If only I had the budget...
I love the tone i get from my powerball. Its this huge, crunchy, tight rhythm tone. I like the sound of hi gain Engls in general, but with all the controls, you really have to fiddle a lot to get a great tone out of them. But once you do, man, its awesome. It doesnt even need an overdrive in front of it.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I don't have an ideal tone that I'm aiming for, in a live setting I tend to go for whatever base tone I feel suits the genre of music I'm playing best and gives me the most control and flexibility with the smallest number of pedals, and in the studio it's just... whatever, in my mind, best serves the piece of music that's being recorded at that time.

So yeah, like monwobobbo said - It's a moving target.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
seriously though usually hot rod marshall or soldano type tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
The tone Johnny A gets on his Gibson Johnny A.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
All time favorite lead guitar tone - Gary Moore on "Still Got the Blues" (Blues Alive).

Metal lead sounds - mid career Deep Purple (Ritchie) and early Yngwie (Rising Force)

All time metal rhythm favorite - probably 80s Anthrax record, "Among The Living", or one of the recent Rob Caggiano produced ones, "We've Come ofr You All".
Just bear in mind - I don't like the new Anthrax music, just the production

Clean - David Gilmour on the iconic Pink Floyd records

Crunch - probably have to go with Brian May on again the old famous Queen records.
Little wing SRV version is the best clean tone I've heard - never heard it replicated since.

The last Aristocrats album has some ferocious mid gain Marshall esque tones.

Kurt Rosenwinkel The Next Step album for trippy jazz tones.
Too many to list.  So many great guitar tones that move me performed by epic players.  I cross over nearly every style and appreciate most of it.

If I had to pick just one track that stirred me to my soul... Kid Charlemagne- Steely Dan- Larry Carlton lead guitar on a 335 and tweed deluxe.  Just incredible guitar tone and chops over fairly busy jazz changes. 
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Guitar with hot paf type humbuckers, heavy midrange grind, slightly softened highs (not piercing or overly bright) and a saggy loose low end that retains a hint of looseness with an od in front of it. With enough gain for rock to metal.

For clean, slightly scooped, extra low end, and a bit of grit.

So far a Les Paul and a CR120H is damn close, and can easily hold me over until I find the perfect amp. If it exists.
I agree with Cajundaddy about Larry Carlton's tone on his Steely Dan work. That Gibson ES335 just sings like a great vocalist.

Les Paul on tone from his auto biography "Les Paul; In His Own Words":

" First you find your sound; you create it and build your style around it. No matter where you're playing you want to have that identity because, it's that personal sound that makes you different from the rest of the crowd. Developing the identity of your sound is one thing; being able to produce it consistently with all the variables that are always going to come up....that's the challenge that never goes away."
my set up now is pretty much a replica of john frusciante, which is what i was going for.
but I've always liked lindasy buckinghams and Eric johnson tones.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
This live recording of Gary Moore

Guthrie Govans Erotic Cakes album

And anything from Van Halen's first 3 albums + the Beat it solo. But yeah I have a Cornford Hellcat, sounds incredible mic'd up with a Shure SM7B. For a long time a Cornford MK50/Hellcat was my dream amp setup and I bought it in 2012, and so I'm super happy with my sound now. I need a Telecaster to fill that void in sound though, I only have Strats and a Jem (with another Jem on the way).

As for other stuff?

D'addario strings, 10-46 for standard tuning, 11-52 for Drop C tuning.
Ibanez Steve Vai + Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm picks.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 16, 2017,
Bigbazz - I am super jealous, that's one of the amps that has been on my list, bu try to find that in the US, and then if something goes wrong get it serviced, especially now that they're in limbo.
http://cornfordamps.com/audio.htm

Track #16 the Yng-man is killing it on a Cornford, Guthrie's takes are not bad either.

Would go to jail for that tone.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Will Lane
inb4 tone is in the fingers
>AC30/DC30, Tele with WRH, Strymon Timeline/Bigsky, Fulldrive 2...

Part of this.
AC30 with my DIY 2x12 cab, Ibanez S570 with Dimarzio Evolution pups, and Fulldrive 2 when I want dirt.
That gives me just what I want.
I'm done with the "search for tone". For now.
Quote by diabolical
Bigbazz - I am super jealous, that's one of the amps that has been on my list, bu try to find that in the US, and then if something goes wrong get it serviced, especially now that they're in limbo.
http://cornfordamps.com/audio.htm

Track #16 the Yng-man is killing it on a Cornford, Guthrie's takes are not bad either.

Yeah when I was a teenager I had a CD with all those tracks on it, and used to listen to it regularly dreaming about the day I could own a Cornford! It's crazy because you barely see the amps around at all these days, but about 10 years ago so many top players were using em. But that's not bad for buyers, at least here they are really affordable to pick up used as they don't have that big name reputation to cause the prices to soar.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
As monwobobbo states it really is a moving target,  And can change from day to day, and I like so many different tones that it would be impossible to pin one down in particular,  Trick is having the gear to experiment with then dial it in to suit my preference rather than buying the same gear someone else has and trying to get they're tone.   Blues, Rock and Metal I usually gravitate to the Kustom Double Cross,  Granted a bit to move if need be but it is what it is, My favorite tube amp,  Guitars usually range from odd ball First Act Custom Shop USA's  to Godin, Agile and Backlund ,   Jazzier and funkier stuff generally the SS rig consisting of an old Kustom Quad 100 and even older Peavey TNT 130  which I run with a Roland GR-55 and can only use the Godin XTSA and DIY Airline copy which are capable of using the GR-55,  Actually have an old Seagull I put a GK-3 pickup on,  Yea that's always a head scratcher on acoustic open mic night,   Suppose I could have just bought a Godin Multiac but I don't play acoustic enough to justify the price tag,  Tone is just a byproduct of your imagination 
Quote by diabolical
I remember Cornford amps weren't cheap new, close to PTP Marshall in prices.

Off the top of my head rough prices, Hellcat Head was around £1700, combo £2000, MK50 head £1400 with the MK50 II £2000. A mate of mine picked up a Hellcat combo for £600 about 2-3 years back though and it was in top condition and I often see Hurricanes going for quite cheap too. I was actually expecting prices might go up on them with lack of availability, but no used market has really sparked up to drive the prices, and largely among new generation guitarists I think they have fallen out of common knowledge.

Might not be the same overseas though but with them being a British made amp they generally go for less than they are really worth here.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I do agree with the moving target idea. I was just downloading some old live videos of my band from 10-15 years ago ( DV video formats). I was surprised how in so many of the videos I was playing mostly Strat's and Tele's. About 6 years ago I went back to Les Paul's and that's been my thing for the past 6-7 of years. I guess my favorite tone is the one I'm playing at that time period. It comes down to influences and who I am listening to in any particular time frame. 
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 17, 2017,
I'm pretty sure I own enough different gear to create any tone I want. Of course, I'm missing some things, like a good open body electric, but that's what wish lists are for. I could also do with a vintage reverb someday :p

It all depends on what I'm playing at the time to decide on the tone. I often play without amplifier as well - just plain electric guitar, and I feel you should be able to appreciate that tone as well.

The pursuit for tone is a funny one and is dependent on lots of different factors. That's part of the reason why my pedalboard is ridiculously large (I think it is at least); it's because I want to have multiple optiona available. I don't settle with the same tones for long either. Switching around and trying new stuff is part of the fun!
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Bigbazz I guess they're really not that far from Mesa prices, unfortunately now you really can't find one in the USA as very few made it here originally. Hopefully they'll resume production (or someone will manage to sample them effectively in software), definitely great amps, sadly now defunct.
Quote by Bigbazz
Off the top of my head rough prices, Hellcat Head was around £1700, combo £2000, MK50 head £1400 with the MK50 II £2000.

Yeah that sounds about right. Over the years the prices would have changed a little here and there, but yeah, those (more or less) ring a bell.
The best tone is what serves the song, and blends well with the other instruments and vocalists. That's a dynamic thing, never constant. 
I like a lot of stuff, for all sorts of tones. A Deluxe Reverb, AC30 (or something similar), Mesa Lone Star for cleans are the main ones I think of and that I've played extensively. Orange OR-series, Mesa Rectifier and Marshall style amps for drive. So that's why I own a Kemper. 

Guitars can be whatever specs as long as they play well and just have a certain level of quality about them. I like some more than others, but I have vintage-style guitars and modern guitars and like them all. 
The ultimate hell would be forced to listen to someone play a guitar with your personal favorite tone, as described in this thread, continuously, forever, with no changes ever, on song after song after song. I don't give a damn what your favorite tone is, if you had to listen to that same tone, and no other tone, regardless of what song was being played, for a few days, you'd confess to anything, you'd reveal the location of your army's troops, you'd agree to date a fat girl, you'd do ANYTHING to make it stop. 
Quote by gerdner
The ultimate hell would be forced to listen to someone play a guitar with your personal favorite tone, as described in this thread, continuously, forever, with no changes ever, on song after song after song. I don't give a damn what your favorite tone is, if you had to listen to that same tone, and no other tone, regardless of what song was being played, for a few days, you'd confess to anything, you'd reveal the location of your army's troops, you'd agree to date a fat girl, you'd do ANYTHING to make it stop. 

Dude, what is the point of all of this? You're only two posts in this thread (and from I've seen in other threads) are all about how gear seemingly isn't important and you seem to be a bit condescending towards discussions of gear.

You do realize that this sub-forum is called guitar GEAR and accessories, yes?

You're entitled to your opinion, but its a bit silly to come into a forum dedicated to a particular subject and then act as we are all foolish for talking about said subject.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I like a mildly distorted amp with a fuzz pedal at a low volume for a dirty/fuzzy tone. For clean, usually an EQ and chorus.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Dude, what is the point of all of this?  You're only two posts in this thread (and from I've seen in other threads) are all about how gear seemingly isn't important and you seem to be a bit condescending towards discussions of gear.

You do realize that this sub-forum is called guitar GEAR and accessories, yes?

You're entitled to your opinion, but its a bit silly to come into a forum dedicated to a particular subject and then act as we are all foolish for talking about said subject.

Gear is VERY important to me, but not the attitude that only one particular piece of gear is "the best". Gear is what you use to make music. What makes music special, what makes music one of the most important things in life, is the incredible variety of musical sounds that are possible. My opinion that one of the most important attributes of any piece of musical gear is versatility is a valid opinion. My opinion that "tone" serves the song is a valid opinion. The perspective that when discussing gear, it should be discussed in the context of music, which means in the context of songs, is as important to any discussion of gear and the different tones that gear produces as simply showing off one's knowledge of obscure brands and models of amps. 
Page 1 of 2