Page 1 of 2
Hello I'm looking for a good amp head for lighter metal and pop rock stuff my favorite bands are dance Gavin dance, paramore and our last night.

My budget is about 1100 max andi would prefer to spend less. I need atleast a clean and dirty channel I have a port city 2 12 with green back speakers

I am super willing to order stuff and search for deals aswell

Also this is strictly for live
Last edited by dgdfanboy at Mar 17, 2017,
Quote by dgdfanboy
... looking for a good amp head for lighter metal and pop rock stuff ....

My [max] budget is about 1100 ..... I need at least a clean and dirty channel ...

Way to vague it up for us ....  

- Laney IRT series
- EVH 5150 III 50 watt
- Marshall DSL100
- Peavey ValveKing
- Peavey JSX
- Carvin V3
- Jet City 100HDM
What do you currently have for an amp, what do you like / dislike about it, what amps have you tried, are their any in mind that you like the sound of?

Otherwise all the amps I've listed above will do those types of music within your budget. Some right on the nose, some well under it. But each of them is also going to be voiced differently and sound different with your cab.
Xander_X I have a 6505+ and it's great for super heavy distortion but that's not really what I'm going for I'm going for the tone where you can hear every note when you hit a chord on the heavy chanenl and also a very sparkly and almost piano like tone for the cleans but I know I can't get that out of 1100 dollars so I want to get as close as possible
1. You absolutely can get that in your price range.  Everyone of the amps I suggested has a "more tame" gain than the 6505, but can still do some forms of metal.  Some better than others.  Everyone of them has a true clean channel, some better than others.  That someone else will have to chime in on, I don't really use clean.  The 6505+ has a more than decent enough "clean" channel for me.

2.  With the right speakers and tubes, you shouldn't have a clarity issue with the 6505+.  Mine is VERY bright and articulate.  I have no issues getting nice, tight, clear, crunch with excellent sustain.
I always suggest getting an Orange Micro Terror, and spending all the money you have left over in your budget to buy a better cab, or maybe a new guitar. It has really nice cleans, a bit like Vox (below 5 it's clean, above it is overdriven/distorted). With the gain up, it gets good classic gain sounds, that sound very classic rock-like. With a boost/Tube Scramer style overdrive, it can get really good british high gain sounds. The only downsides are: classic gain without boost, only the dark (metal) version has an effects loop, and it just has a single knob EQ. The dark has a mids knob, but also is a bit too basey for cleans, usually.
^His cab is good to go. I would not bother with the micro terror with that budget

OT: Maybe look for a used Mesa Mark IV/V, Marshall JCM 2000 (not the new DSL series), Orange Rockerverb, Peavey JSX, EVH 5153, Splawn Quick Mod.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24 and Mira, Fender HWY1 tele, ESP LTD EC1000
Marshall JVM205H, EVH 5153 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
 I would not bother with the micro terror with that budget

Agreed.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Marshall JCM 2000 (not the new DSL series)

You're not actually suggesting a TSL are you?
Quote by bobafettacheese
Orange Rockerverb

Forgot about that.  That's a good one too.
Orange Rockerverb is amazing. It is above their budget, though. The Orange Rockerverb is my dream amp, but sadly the Micro Terror is the best I can do with my budget. It is probably one of, if not the best amp for its price. The Orange Rockerverb is great, though. If you can get the extra money to surpass your budget, get it.
I do feel I should put in a mention for the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister

The clean is miles better than the 6505 and the higher gain stuff is much more articulate and defined, more respnsive to playing dynamics.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 17, 2017,
Peavey 6505+, Marshall JCM800KK, or Marshall JCM2000 DSL... Or Just dont buy guitar amps with "unique" brands even seller told you that good amp... You will regret when you wanna sell it...
Quote by Bigbazz

The clean is miles better than the 6505 and the higher gain stuff is much more articulate and defined, more respnsive to playing dynamics.

That sounds really good… I'll have to try it, and maybe add it to the list of amps I want, but can't afford.
Bigbazz please dont start a fans war.... Different person different ears... Just love what you love.. Dont judge by your opinion... So many better guitarists and professional guitarists will think the 6506+ better than your amp... Taste is religion, taste is human right...
Quote by datresults
Bigbazz please dont start a fans war.... Different person different ears... Just love what you love.. Dont judge by your opinion... So many better guitarists and professional guitarists will think the 6506+ better than your amp... Taste is religion, taste is human right...

I have a 6505, or rather I have a 5150 which the same amp as a 6505. And it's not about better or worse, the 5150 is objectively less dynamic than that amp because it has a naturally high compression, which makes it incredibly well suited to metal and and drop tuned riffing, high gain fast lead playing with ease, for easy legato and easy tapping.. That is the characteristic of the 5150/6505, one of the most bland sounding clean channels money can buy and one of the best compressed high gain sounds suited to playing modern metal.

What it doesn't have is good response to playing dynamics, it doesn't have much flexibility or variety in tone and you can't change the characteristics of the amp very much via the gain/EQ. I own and have been playing the amp for 13 years, I'm 100% qualified to talk about it.. I'm suggesting an amp for the guy who already owns a 6505 and doesn't like it, those characteristics I described are an objective view on the comparison.

Like I said, it's not about better or worse.. Different amps do different things well.

Quote by gogiregion
That sounds really good… I'll have to try it, and maybe add it to the list of amps I want, but can't afford.

Well based on the prices here the amp is within your budget at around $950, but I don't know how the prices are where you live.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 17, 2017,
Quote by datresults
Bigbazz that not mean you can judge that ROCKSTAR...!!

Honestly, grow up. 
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Bigbazz
Quote by Bigbazz

...The clean is miles better than the 6505 and the higher gain stuff is much more articulate and defined, more respnsive to playing dynamics.

Did you see that not a "judging" statement??? That's your fukin opinion dude, your ear not the best in the world.... It would be different if you put "IN MY FUKKIN OPINION" on that statment...

you should think with your grow-up brain How not to start fans-war... Or i should get you a "How to for dumb" book???
Last edited by datresults at Mar 18, 2017,
Quote by datresults
Bigbazz

Did you see that not a "judging" statement??? you should think with your grow-up brain How not to start fans-war... Or i should get you a "How to for dumb" book???

1. The clean on a 5150/6505 (and 5150II/6505+) is universally regarded as shit, it's even midly acknowledged by Peavey as being bad. It's shit, if you like it that's fine some people like Marshall MG series, some people like eating cardboard. Most people are fine to agree the clean channel sucks on it.

2. I explained compression and dynamics in my previous post. If you lack the knowledge to understand the terms or the command of the English language then that's not my fault. You clearly did not understand my post, you should not reply to something without understanding it.

3. I've owned the amp for longer than your 6505 has been on the market, I don't need to be silly fanboy touting and recommending the gear I own to every person that comes to the forum. Stop being a fanboy, it drives me nuts... We get it, you like your amp and you want everyone to confirm to you that your amp is good so you can feel good about owning it... The OP already has a 6505 and isn't interested, you would know that if you had read the thread before you replied.

You need to grow up because the only person starting a fanboy war is you, seemingly because you lack reading comprehension in English and do not even understand what I have written.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 18, 2017,
Bigbazz see how this old-man are shitheaded... He dont know me but he already tell me that he own 6505 longer than mine... With your head You must be dont have much friends dude... You know why? Because you think you always right... And anyone hate that...!!
Quote by datresults
Bigbazz see how this old-man are shitheaded... He dont know me but he already tell me that he own 6505 longer than mine... With your head You must be dont have much friends dude... You know why? Because you think you always right... And anyone hate that...!!

Considering the 6505 is a reissue of the 5150, yes I'm pretty bloody sure I've owned my 5150 for longer than you've had your 6505.  You've contributed nothing relating to the subject or the amps, you've just got mad over a post you didn't understand because you lack the reading comprehension.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by datresults
Bigbazz why do you think only you that have 5150 ???

And now you claim to know what I'm thinking, and in the last post you say I think I'm always right? For someone who you don't know you're sure making a lot of assumptions. How about you stop talking about me and start talking about the amps? You need to improve your English reading comprehension, you don't even understand what I said in my posts.

I'm flattered that you think I am so interesting to talk about, but talk about the amps. That is why we are here.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Bigbazz yeah at least i can 3 different languages... And i also could said i own more amps than you do... Just stay in your world buddy... You must be lonely how about buy an anime pillow to became your partner...looooooolllll
Quote by datresults
Bigbazz yeah at least i can 3 different languages... And i also could said i own more amps than you do... Just stay in your world buddy... You must be lonely how about buy an anime pillow to became your partner...looooooolllll

Pathetic, you need to grow up and come around to the real world, this isn't the schoolyard. You've started an argument with someone in a language you don't understand enough to even know what you're discussing. Nobody cares how many amps you own, or anyone else owns.  Really sad.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Bigbazz OK Ryan, just enough with your silly shit... You silly as your face and your hair... I know everything about you.. Dont need to look great in internet.. Grow up you already 31 years old...get a life dudee..
Last edited by datresults at Mar 18, 2017,
Quote by datresults
Bigbazz OK Ryan, just enough with your silly shit... You silly as your face and your hair... I know everything about you.. Dont need to look great in internet.. Grow up you already 31 years old...

Coming from the stalker talking about anime pillows? You need most of all to continue your English education so you can understand the posts you're replying to.. As for you finding out who I am, congratulations you clicked on my profile. I'm not sure what me giving some advice about a guitar amp has to do with me growing up, is it childish to hurt someones feelings over electronic equipment?

The best thing is how I explained how good the 5150 was, while highlighting where the other amp was better! I do wonder what you will dig up next given that you're stalking me over a Peavey 6505 post, probably discover I can actually play!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Some other options:

These Carvins can handle that stated tonal range, and can get cleaner or heavier:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
try getting it used
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Stretch you budget a lil more and get a used Mesa Boogie Mark V. You can thank me latter. Unless the 25 watt version will do then you can get a used one within your current budget.
This post went south faaaast.

datresults if it makes.any difference, I've got a few year onBigbazz, probably been playing longer than him and may have been using a 5150 before him. He's correct, though I dont need super clean tones, the"clean" channel is horrible compared to most other amps clean channels.

And you need to chill with that agro-crap. The mods won't hesitate to ban you.
dgdfanboy
Do you have a music store near you? Go try out amp heads there see what you like.
$1100 US buys a lot of amp, in fact $600 US buys a lot of amp when it's just the head.

If you don't care that it's solid state you can get an awesome amp for that sort of money, but the best bet is hit a music store and try out their gear.

Also this site has a review section so you can check out what people here think about the gear they have.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/
Last edited by 33db at Mar 18, 2017,
Quote by Bigbazz
Well based on the prices here the amp is within your budget at around $950, but I don't know how the prices are where you live.

Sorry for sny confusion, but I wasn't actually the person who created the tread. I'm actually saving up for a guitar, and not an amp. I should probably get a profile picture…
Quote by Bigbazz

Down the road, if I'm still playing, I would be getting a better amp, I thought about these H&K's but I see a common complaint they cause hearing fatigue, that their highs are to brittle.
Do you play one of these?
Hughes and Kettner is a good option. Also, I'd like to suggest the Vox AC 30 (~$1100) or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III (~$750). Throw in a boost and delay pedal and you can get that sparkly clean sound or a boosted pop punk sound.
How big of a venue do you play?
Last edited by meateatingvegan at Mar 18, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
Sorry for sny confusion, but I wasn't actually the person who created the tread. I'm actually saving up for a guitar, and not an amp. I should probably get a profile picture…

Ahh fair enough
Quote by 33db
Down the road, if I'm still playing, I would be getting a better amp, I thought about these H&K's but I see a common complaint they cause hearing fatigue, that their highs are to brittle.
Do you play one of these?

I don't play a Hughes and Kettner, I've just been impressed by the sounds they can pull off. I think that brittle high sound for some is the fine line you play with to get that bright/tight sound in the demo video, it's definitely not gonna be for everyone.  I can't say how I feel about it personally as I've only very limited experience with the amp, I just thought it was worth a mention for some variety within that price bracket.

I'd like to own one for a few months for sure though, the guy playing has a really great sound on some of his music tracks with a very high end mid focused extremely tight/articulate sound that really cuts through the mix (though perhaps too much mid dominance for a traditional band setting), of course a lot of that sound is going to be his playing style/ability.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Page 1 of 2