Hey.

So I've been playing since December, this is my first guitar and it's a spanish guitar. I usually play with pick, but I've heard that playing acoustic guitar with pick isn't helpful to learn or some thing like that.

So, is there any wrong with playing acoustic using a pick? Should I use my fingers instead? The only difference I find is that the guitar sounds better when played with pick  

Also, any good song to practice arpeggios? I gotta master that stuff :P
If John McLaughlin can play a nylon string guitar with a pick . .  . . . so can you.
It is all about your style of playing.  Most people that play nylon string guitars use finger picking because it is easier to play the particular styles of music that that are playing.  If your style of playing can be done with a pick and you are more comfortable using a pick then there is no good reason not to use one.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
Just to clear up:

Classical guitars are nylon strung, usually finger picked (commonly people will grow their nails, to get a stronger sound- which is more pick-like)

Acoustic guitars are steel strung, fingers, picks and finger picks are pretty common

In a nutshell, do what you want and trust your ear! I'd go with what you prefer and/or what direction you want to head in
Yeah, nobody good has ever played acoustic with a pick.

Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.
You can do absolutely whatever you want with your guitar.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
You can do absolutely whatever you want with your guitar.

Even use it as a bicycle?
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Actually, no. They always talk about guitar wizards, but what about a guitar witch that rides around on a guitar instead of a broom?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

theogonia777 

Re the Doc. He was also a passable fingerpicker - his early version of Deep River Blues ain't easy, I've been struggling with it for years, on and off.. I have to say though that if anyone puts "acoustic guitar" and "pick" in the same sentence, I think of Tony Rice.

Re "witch", good point. I can think of quite a few that qualify
The times when some players choose to use pick and when they choose to use their fingers is intriguing to me.

Phil Keaggy uses a pick for the opening bars of The Wind and the Wheat, and I have no idea why.
I have fingernails on my right hand I never use picks.  Picking or strumming.  They get lost anyway.
Quote by Garthman
If John McLaughlin can play a nylon string guitar with a pick . .  . . . so can you.

Willie Nelson did alright for himself pickin' nylon, too.

My two cents: Learn to play with your fingers; it's important. Learn, too, how to play using a pick. Both are fundamental skills that you will build on for a lifetime. You'll find that there rarely is an "either/or" in music. Pick or fingers, just like "acoustic or electric", is not a one-time choice you make to which you are forever bound. You are perfectly allowed to own and play several each of 6-string acoustics, a 12-string, a bass, an electric or two, a classical... in fact, I highly recommend you do. It all overlaps. Fingers for acoustics and picks for electrics is a common association but hardly written in stone; you may habitually use a pick on a 12-string acoustic, for example.

“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Quote by Dreadnought
The times when some players choose to use pick and when they choose to use their fingers is intriguing to me.

Phil Keaggy uses a pick for the opening bars of The Wind and the Wheat, and I have no idea why.

That is interesting, isn't it? Here's a clip if anyone cares to speculate:

“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Quote by Standard_A440
That is interesting, isn't it? Here's a clip if anyone cares to speculate:

I suspect it is due to the run he plays at the beginning of the song.  Many people find a run like that to be easier with a pick.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
You just need to watch yourself. It will take years and years, but if you strum a classical guitar with a pick, you might wear a hole in it. That's why steel string acoustics have the teardrop pickguards under the soundhole. 
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
For a nylon string(spanish) guitar, I'd recommend either a very light gage nylon pick or better yet - a felt ukelele pick. Usually classical/spanish guitars are played with fingers(as are ukelele's) but using a pick is no crime IMO.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I suspect it is due to the run he plays at the beginning of the song.  Many people find a run like that to be easier with a pick.

I personally doubt it, that run is mostly legato and fairly straightforward to finger pick.

If I had to guess, it would be for the increased attack it gives him. He has a milder finger style attack and tone throughout the piece, but that could of course just be by choice (and some of it assuredly is.) Either way it's interesting.

Nice to see you active again here, by the way!
I've seen more than a few country guys hold a pick between thumb and forefinger and use it on the lower strings, but they'd also use the other three fingers on the treble strings. 
Most of the time when I finger-pick, it's hybrid picking. I guess one of the older fellas at the jam wasn't familiar with it and commented when he noticed it.
I do work on doing it with just my fingers sometimes.

And yes, that "O" is nylon strung. Wait for a shot of the head stock.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 12, 2017,
Quote by Captaincranky

And yes, that "O" is nylon strung. Wait for a shot of the head stock.

OK, so maybe he does use a tad too much reverb...   

But I bet this will get your old motor to at least turn over......

The SPCG has carefully monitored the action in this video, and determined the no INNOCENT guitars were harmed during its filming
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 12, 2017,
Necroheadbanger Right now, just learn what you like, how you like. Get a few rhythm parts down from some songs you like, learn what's called a pentatonic minor scale, and learn how to play that for every note up the fretboard. If you want, PM me and I'll send you some resources or answer any beginner questions
Quote by skido13
I have fingernails on my right hand I never use picks.  Picking or strumming.  They get lost anyway.

Typically, it sounds a LOT louder when you use a pick while playing a normal acoustic. I really wouldn't recommend using anything but picking on a classical guitar though, picks just don't sound good  (Unless you aren't strumming with it). It's a lot easier for people to hear you when you use a pick on acoustic though, when doing rythym guitar, like playing off a chord sheet or whatever.
#Acoustic Life
Fingernails are just as good as a picks.  You don't have to change mode when switching from strum to fingerpicking midstream which I frequently do.  They don't fly out into space or into the soundhole!  There are subtle things you can do with fingernails that you can't do with a pick and vice versa.
Still, everyone's experience is different and viable, just  a matter of personal preference.
Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hey.

Also, any good song to practice arpeggios? I gotta master that stuff :P

You can use arpeggios on almost any song. Just because the original artist, or the artist who had the well-known hit version of a song strummed doesn't mean you can't turn the chords into arpeggios. You might be amazed at the things you'll discover by playing a song the way you want to play it instead of slavishly copying someone else's techniques. 

That doesn't mean you'll automatically get great results every time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But if you're practicing in order to learn, what the hell? We learn from mistakes as much as we learn from successes. 
Last edited by gerdner at Apr 20, 2017,