BEADF#B
3 2%
DADGAD
2 2%
Other
17 14%
Voters: 125.
Page 1 of 2
I'm curious. E-standard is the base tuning, but I'm curious to see what folks use for 6-string guitars as their personal default. No ERG's here.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Drop C here. I find it's a nice middle ground for Drop X tuning. And I have a death grip on power chords.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Currently all my guitars are in a different tuning from Eb to drop B. But my go-to tuning would be D standard.
Quote by AcousticMirror
periphery

So Drop C or BbGCFAD?
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Last edited by bjgrifter at Apr 12, 2017,
I use E Standard @60% of the time. The rest is almost all New Standard Tuning: CGDAEG. I have a single guitar tuned to DADGAD, but haven't spent much time with it since I did so. There's another, currently in E Standard, that is supposed to be set up for slide, eventually. When it is, it will be tuned for Open G or Open C.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by bjgrifter
So Drop C or BbGCFAD?

AGCFAD and cgcegd and jesus pick a tuning guys.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
AGCFAD and cgcegd and jesus pick a tuning guys.

What's the fun in that?
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

DABf#Ac#

did it one day and kept my acoustic in it ever since
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
My main gutiar that I play 80% of the time is tuned to D-standard.  Acoustic and other electric is E-standard. 
Eb (most often), D standard and C# standard.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
E - Standard for the most part. might tune down to Eb occasionally or Drop-D for certain songs. 
Pretty much always either E standard or drop D. On rare occasions I use C standard for playing stoner rock, and used to like Eb, but haven't used either tunings in a while. 
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I have 3 guitars in E std, one in drop C#, one in drop C and one in G#-F#-B-E-G#-C# that I occasionally drop to F# instead of G#. 
I tune the E standard guitars down to drop D something too. 
The plan, however, is to get one more guitar (at least) for E standard and shuffle around what I already have to have one in drop A# as well. 
Mostly E-standard, occasionally DADGAD which I'd like to spend more time on.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I use the standard E tuning, and I'm really surprised so many people use different tunings.
Only time I've tuned it differently was for slide guitar.
E standard E flat and drop D pretty much equally
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Apr 12, 2017,
E standard or Eb on most of my guitars I have a couple in D standard and two in C#
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Eb standard (down 1/2 step).  Why you ask?  Because Jimi, EVH, and SRV were right!

Open G whenever I play slide which is once every 5 years or so.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 13, 2017,
All my guitars are tuned to E Standard. I've played around with Open C, Eb Standard and D Standard as well as occasional flirts with DADGAD. 

It's always interesting from a creative perspective to remove your muscle memory crutch from your playing. Opeth did a great job of that with Ghost Reveries for example.

But I just find E Standard tuning has a clarity of attack and note pitch that I lack in other tunings, although this is probably due to string gauges etc. 
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
E standard, but I've been thinking of trying the 432hz thing because my band is getting into a lot of harmonies lately.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Cajundaddy
Eb standard (down 1/2 step).  Why you ask?  Because Jimi, EVH, and SRV were right!.

I'm with you when you are right I have more Eb guitars than anything else. I suppose I should have called that out as my go-to in my original reply!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 13, 2017,
E mostly.

Not quite sure why you don't have Eb on your list when you have all those other much more esoteric tunings there...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Eb standard, E standard, Drop D, D standard and Drop C, 7 string is tuned to B standard.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
D-standard almost exclusively. Every once in a while I'll venture into C-standard, but I just end up tuning back up to D after a couple hours.

However, I have been playing with tuning to D-standard at 432hz and really enjoying it. That just might become my go-to tuning!  
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
I'm honestly gonna have to say Half Step down and Drop C#

D# G# C# F# A# D#

C# G# C# F# A# D#

I always thought Drop C and Drop B sound muddy.
E standard most of the time. Occasionally open G and open E tunings for some things, too. I use a capo quite a bit more often than most people, and not as a substitute for doing full barre chords, but as a means of getting particular chord voicings that aren't possible in certain keys without a capo. I don't really do the "low tuning" thing - that's what bass instruments are for.

That said, I would love to own a baritone guitar, however, I promised myself I'd only buy one if I actually had a specific need for one, and that need has not yet arisen.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Standard is my go-to because unlike most of you nerds I actually music for a living.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Most of mine are in E standard. I have a couple in Eb and another couple in D.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Eb and Drop C although I'm thinking of going Drop C# for a little more clarity.

I'll try more open tunings once I get another guitar.
Drop C and Standard.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by theogonia777
Standard is my go-to because unlike most of you nerds I actually music for a living.

Well, it is standard tuning for a reason. 

I know I do this for fun, but if someone pays me I won't say no. Or apologize for the auditory atrocities I inflict.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Page 1 of 2