Hey guys I've been playing guitar for a while now. I can play accurately with all my favorite songs. The only thing pissing me off is that when I try to play those really fast solos (sweet child o mine, buckethead, some satriani) etc my fretting hand becomes a problem.I DO START SLOW AND PRACTICE THEM A LOT; they are actually simple note wise and my picking hand is at shredding speed there is no problem with that. What happens to my fret fingers are when I try to play really fast, they would eventually stop and like "seize up"or not want to go fast .  I want to know a way/trick to free my fretting hand so it can be as fast as my picking hand at play those solos. Please and thank you.    
that's likely from unintentionally tensing up or not using proper economy of motion. can you post a picture or video of how you usually hold your hands? top down will likely be good

your thumb should be going straight up and down, parallel to the frets and moving up and down fluidly depending on where on the neck you are. you should also be only pressing the strings just enough to make a clear sound, and pulling away just enough to kill the noise

without being able to see you play, though, it's hard to say if it's a technical problem or just a matter of sticking with it till you develop the right muscles. is it painful at all after your hand "seizes up"?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
You are fretting, fingering, playing too hard. The faster you play, the more critical it is to play light and easy.

Here are two things you can try...

1] Turn it up considerably louder than you would normally... then play lightly. As soon as you forget, get carried away, whatever, the extra volume will remind you immediately. Go back to playing lightly, keep it up for a few weeks or so and see you can train yourself to restrain from playing too hard.

2] You can build up strength and endurance by playing hard, but that is your fingers learning how to play hard, which you don't want. Right now you are seizing up from lack of strength and endurance development, the foundation of which is blood flow...
What you want to do is build strength and endurance playing lightly without having to solo continuously for half an hour or so to get real exhaustion.
The simplest way is to lie on your back when practicing. Your left arm will be elevated fingering the neck and after just a few minutes of doing this for the first time you will notice that your hand is running out of energy, even playing lightly... this is because your arm is used to being filled with blood when standing or sitting; when elevating your arm, the hand will become starved for blood and will feel tired very fast. Let the arm rest on the floor for a moment and then play some more until it wears out...
This is like running wind sprints, the purpose being to hit the exhaustion wall fast without prolonged heavy exertion. It looks for the same results; strength and endurance development by stressing blood flow development more than muscle development.
If this exercise makes your picking hand get tired, that OK, that's good, too.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at Apr 13, 2017,
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Techniques
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Thanks, i got it. Now how do i get my fretting hand to super speed(like my picking hand)?
Quote by KMR20310
Thanks, i got it. Now how do i get my fretting hand to super speed(like my picking hand)?

First, you should correct your habit of playing with too much tension.  Saying "I got it" implies that you've already fixed it, but there's no way that you've actually fully addressed that issue in just these last few days.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 oh.... then i mean i'm working on it. I try to stay as relaxed as possible, but it would always come to a stop, thats what I ment in freeing my hand(help me with that as well), once i got that, then I will see how to get my left hand to speed.
Hail Well I'm just a teen, but it is really pissing me off how I can't play those fast solos. I mean I see kids younger than the both of us shredding. Speed is the only thing holding me back from progressing any further in my playing. 
Quote by KMR20310
Hail Well I'm just a teen, but it is really pissing me off how I can't play those fast solos. I mean I see kids younger than the both of us shredding. Speed is the only thing holding me back from progressing any further in my playing. 

that's probably the biggest conceptual mistake you can possibly make as a guitarist, but at the same time there's no way for me to convince you of that until you waste 3+ years trying to play music you come to hate. that's why i'm a bass player now
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
KMR20310 Learn how to play some other stuff that will set you apart from them.  Learn some cool rhythms that they will be jealous of and want to learn.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
nemjeff13 Okay any songs that sound good, complicated to any guitarist, but actually easy to play?                                                                                                                       PS: what does that mean???( 'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her" )
Last edited by KMR20310 at May 1, 2017,