Hey, I'm big slash / Gibson Les Paul / Marshall fan 
However now I don't have neither Gibson, neither Marshall, neither slash hands, but still want to enjoy it. 

Im not very limited in finance, but I can't even play sweet child o mine, so it would be a shame for me to buy 2.5K Gibson, when I can't play it. So I bought Epi  Classic, but I still want to get smith close to that Classic Rock tone. so I thought, that I can start with Marshall DSL5/15/40 (its not that big of a deal like Gibson) 
Plus I thought to change pickups from Epiphone ones to Seymon Duncan Alnico 2. 

I have now Epi Classic + Yamaha THR10 and I really don't like it, it doesn't sound right at all, I dunno why, I mean I know it sounds shit because I can't play, but the tone is completely different from anything I hear on youtube. 

so my question is:  if you would have like 800-900 $, will you get Marshall DSl5 + proper pickups, or spend it all on Second Hand Gibson Studio f.e?  

I really don't want to go over that budget unless I can handle that with my technique, I don't want to be that prick that buying all expensive staff but can't play it. 

P.S I was playing for 5-7 years some garbage acoustic staff(easy strumming) and got my first electro 2 months ago. 

Thank you all guys! 
Last edited by tkonskiy at Apr 18, 2017,
Spend all your money on a good amp - nevermind the pickups or guitar - the amp is what matters - aim your whole budget there. Get the best amp you can afford and later on buy a better guitar.  The amp is what really determines the tone, the guitar is secondary. 
If you've been playing electric for just 2 months, gear isn't going to be an enormous improvement. 

Certainly replacing pickups won't do much for you. 

I don't think the name "Gibson" on the headstock does much for you, either (bear in mind that Slash did NOT play a Gibson on AFD, but a copy, and he did not use Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickups. They didn't exist. And the pickups were NOT a matched set [with a hotter bridge pickup], they were two identical pickups). 

Buy what makes you happy, of course. 

These days you don't need his guitar and his amp to produce his sound (though manufacturers like Gibson and Marshall will do their best to convince you otherwise). I can guarantee you that you can get his sound from a decent $300 LP-alike and a used Pod HD bean (and you can run that out through whatever full-range powered speaker cabinet you like). Start with the "Park" amplifier (it actually sounds more Marshall-y to me than the Marshall clones in that modeler) and you'll find that a few tweaks will nail it. A used Pod HD bean on the LA Craigslist today will run you about $200 (if you don't lowball the seller). Dunno what it would cost where you are. I use Agile guitars for this; they're Epiphone-adjacent Korean guitars in the under-$500 category, and they come stock with either a slightly hot ceramic pickup set or a very nice AlnicoV set. Both sets can get you there. 

Honestly, there are a ton of really good rock pickups on the market today. BKP has some, SD has some, in our neighborhood (almost literally) Arcane pickups has some really good stuff and Suhr's Aldrich pickups are superb. This guy ( https://www.shutupandplay.ca/ ) uses them on his older Gibson (I think he's changed every bit of metal on that thing over the years) with an Egnater amp.
Quote by dspellman
If you've been playing electric for just 2 months, gear isn't going to be an enormous improvement. 

I don't think the name "Gibson" on the headstock does much for you, either (bear in mind that Slash did NOT play a Gibson on AFD, but a copy, and he did not use Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickups. They didn't exist. And the pickups were NOT a matched set [with a hotter bridge pickup], they were two identical pickups). 

Buy what makes you happy, of course. 

These days you don't need his guitar and his amp to produce his sound (though manufacturers like Gibson and Marshall will do their best to convince you otherwise). I can guarantee you that you can get his sound from a decent $300 LP-alike and a used Pod HD bean (and you can run that out through whatever full-range powered speaker cabinet you like). Start with the "Park" amplifier (it actually sounds more Marshall-y to me than the Marshall clones in that modeler) and you'll find that a few tweaks will nail it. A used Pod HD bean on the LA Craigslist today will run you about $200 (if you don't lowball the seller). Dunno what it would cost where you are. I use Agile guitars for this; they're Epiphone-adjacent Korean guitars in the under-$500 category, and they come stock with either a slightly hot ceramic pickup set or a very nice AlnicoV set. Both sets can get you there. 

Honestly, there are a ton of really good rock pickups on the market today. BKP has some, SD has some, in our neighborhood (almost literally) Arcane pickups has some really good stuff and Suhr's Aldrich pickups are superb. This guy ( https://www.shutupandplay.ca/ ) uses them on his older Gibson (I think he's changed every bit of metal on that thing over the years) with an Egnater amp.

Actually his Derrig LP copy did use Alnico II Pros. His Slash version hadn't been invented yet. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by dspellman

i clearly understand that, however i dont wanna buy average staff, that i will want to replace soon and will have a problem selling it. 
Thats why im looking for marshall/gibson because simply i will easily sell them if i need to.I live in a small island and guitar market here is very limited. 
And i already have Epi with rock-start Yamaha THR10 which has perfect reviews everywhere, but damn, why is tone soo different from everything. i mean it sounds like im playing different instrument, i just dunno what is wrong, tried all settings/channels. Clean/Lead/Crunch sounds almost the same, really i even thought amp is bugged. 
Quote by diabolical
I think the DSL40C will solve all your issues.

This is what i thought, but wont it be too loud for home practicing? (aint planning do any gigging in next 3-4 years=)
I vote that you buy the DSL40C as well.  Some say that the Creamback option from Sweetwater is worth the upgrade but I have no experience with it. 

The DSL is the modern production affordable amp for "classic" Marshall tones.  Besides, you want a Marshall so just buy one already so you can either not buy another amp later or say you've been there, done that and moved on!

The Epiphone will be fine for now though a professional setup by a GOOD tech would be great for you.    
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
If you got the DSL40 you probably would not need another amp for a very long time, it would last you quite a while and would be inspiring for you. But, the issue probably is (no offense) your inexperience. The Youtube demos of the THR units sound surprisingly good to me. Start with the eq controls flat, use your guitar's bridge pickup. Be sure you are listening to them through headphones if you can, though, as the internal speakers are too small to be useful. See if you can get your guitar professionally set up as well.
Quote by metalmingee
I vote that you buy the DSL40C as well.  Some say that the Creamback option from Sweetwater is worth the upgrade but I have no experience with it. 

Should I get Marshall DSL5? I can now buy one second hand for very good price. 
tkonskiyim not an expert on these amps but I thought there was a large difference between the 5 and 40. The 12" speaker is reason enough in my book.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Slow down and do some more research to be absolutely sure.

Where are you located?
What size amp do you want or need?
What other music are you playing or want to play?
Digital or modelling options available to you (or even desired)?

Might be worth a try again setting up with the THR10 but I did a lot of tone chasing until I got to the point I'm happy - and I still want a new amp  
Quote by tkonskiy
Should I get Marshall DSL5? I can now buy one second hand for very good price. 

The DSL5 is a VERY good "home" amp. You'll have to explore the 1watt/5watt switch to get the most out of it, but it's extremely versatile. (You can get funk to Van Halen tones out of it, and everything in between)
Quote by tkonskiy
i clearly understand that, however i dont wanna buy average staff, that i will want to replace soon and will have a problem selling it. 
Thats why im looking for marshall/gibson because simply i will easily sell them if i need to.I live in a small island and guitar market here is very limited. 
And i already have Epi with rock-start Yamaha THR10 which has perfect reviews everywhere, but damn, why is tone soo different from everything. i mean it sounds like im playing different instrument, i just dunno what is wrong, tried all settings/channels. Clean/Lead/Crunch sounds almost the same, really i even thought amp is bugged. 

Your amp isn't faulty, the thing that's "wrong" with it is simply that it's not very good. Think about it, guitar amps can cost thousands of pounds, whereas the one that came in your pack probably has a cost price of a few quid, it's pretty much the cheapest amp a company could possibly make. So of course it's not going to sound as good as more expensive equipment, but unfortunately when you get down too low on price things just sound plain crap.

Given the short amount of time you've been playing I personally don't see the point in stumping up for a Marshall when you don't even know if you'll take to the guitar yet. I'd get yourself a decent modelling amp for a couple of hundred, that will give you loads of sound options to experiment both in terms of amp modelling and effects. Also I think you're misjudging the used gear situation. In a small market the expensive stuff is always going to be harder to shift because experienced players likely already own the stuff they want. Cheaper, entry-level gear is much easier to sell on because no matter where you are in the world there is ALWAYS going to be people looking to start playing.

That way, when you've got to grips with playing a bit more and are ready to buy some new gear you'll have a much better idea of the kind of sounds you like.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull I agree with most of this but the player has to be inspired to play too.

There's no need to "suffer" through bad tone when you start out if you're willing to spend the $ on a good amp from the get go.

I still get a huge grin on my face when I crank up the Mesa and that inspires me to play more.

Music is so personal, especially conjuring up the will to get started and keep going.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
steven seagull I agree with most of this but the player has to be inspired to play too.

There's no need to "suffer" through bad tone when you start out if you're willing to spend the $ on a good amp from the get go.

I still get a huge grin on my face when I crank up the Mesa and that inspires me to play more.

Music is so personal, especially conjuring up the will to get started and keep going.

Given the current options out there I wouldn't say any beginner with a decent modelling amp is going to be "suffering" through bad tone. Once you get past the bargain bin price point and are prepared to spend over a hundred I think you get can get some great, versatile practice amps that you can easily get some decent sounds from. Sure your Vypyr isn't going to sound as good as your Mesa, but I assume it sounded good enough when you first got it, and I'd guess it's still servicable enough for you to use  when you want to noodle aroujnd and experiment with non-Mesa tones.

20 years ago it was a different story, but the quality of sound you can get from entry-level amps has improved immeasurably from what used to be available back in the day.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Anyone with 1/2 decent chops can cover Slash all day with a stock Epi Classic, good setup, and a DSL 5.  Get the guitar setup, get the used amp, and head for the woodshed.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis