Page 1 of 2
Hey,

I'm looking for a very specific kind of multi-FX box: it has to have two pedals, one which is changeable between wah-wah and volume, and one which can be volume if necessary, but is also programmable to other effects (eg pitch-shift, freeze, changeable levels of OD/DS etc.)

Are any available on the market? Are they cheap?
Or should I build one?

Warning: I will probably try to defend my opinion as I think this idea is great. I'm not being a dick, I just disagree.
Last edited by Babel Fishes at Apr 19, 2017,
If that's a hole in the market, it's the tiniest hole possible.  You're looking for something very specific.

I've never heard of anything like it, but there are a number of multi effects out there which can have the expression pedal set up for varying uses - I don't recall seeing one that does varying OD levels though.

Possibly have a look at the Boss ME-25.  My old 50 could do a lot of what you're asking for, and the 25 has a Freeze effect I think.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

Possibly have a look at the Boss ME-25.  My old 50 could do a lot of what you're asking for, and the 25 has a Freeze effect I think.

I have a BOSS-25 FX pedal, and it has some great effects, but I frequently find myself wanting to be ably to run two effects at once - for example pitch-shifting an octave up whilst wah-wah-ing (for screaming guitar solos of an entirely new variety).
Also, I know a lot of guitarists (and other electric/electro-acoustic musicians) who would really appreciate an effects box with multiple pedals.
I like using multiple effects too, I use a Zoom G3 for a lot of stuff - it's great, but I don't believe it does some of the effects you're looking for, hence the Boss suggestion.

That puts me out of ideas for you though, hope you find what you're looking for

Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I dont realy see someone rocking two expresion pedals at once on life performances ,ul look like a loonatic. Siting down maby but 2 expression pedals on one small space idk how you play your guitar but my legs ar at 80-60 degrees apart so that one box better be quite large or even better solution buy a separate wah or volume pedal and chain it into your pitch shifter or whatever u got goin into your multiefect.
Iff ur not into live performances but need to NOTauto effects (auto: wah,pitch schifter,volume swells...)i suggest investing in effects looper. its easyer to remember on what part what to play and play one by one, then dancing on your peddals with two left foots.
kristbubnjar
First up, do you play a lot of metal or something? 'Cause I always stand playing with my legs a maximum of 30-40 degrees apart.
Secondly, maybe I'm just being stupid, but I think that this would be a GREAT thing. I think that two pedals would allow for complicated and interesting sound FX for electric and electroacoustic music (maybe not for gigs where you're standing up, but the guitar is an incredibly versatile instrument). Crybabied tonal shifting and sliding sounds awesome to me, but I'm a bit of a sound FX geek...
Last edited by Babel Fishes at Apr 18, 2017,
Babel Fishes
No need to be offensive , the forum is a part where others share their opinion on themes that take a part of their interests, if u expect that everyone praises your ideas thats not exactly the place for it. Forums are for discussion of DIFFERENT opinions (you post here because you want to hear what others have to say about it , the good and the bad stuff). I have just stated my opinion where i don't see a majority people finding it ergonomic to use and stated a solution for that problem, U may not like it thats why u can stick to your ideas and not be an ass to me/(others). 
p.s. 1. i do play metal between all kinds of music genres. 
2. i didn't say its a bad thing i said it looks weird while u trying to find balance on two rocking pedals while standing. (Try it and tell me u can hit that one sweetspot in between the toe up and toe down range while with one foot in the air, not to mention when ull have two of those)
Oh and that'll be my last post on your theme so u don't thing someone is attacking your intelligence.
Not sory for stating my opinion, sencerely yours KB. 
kristbubnjar
I'm not offended, but I'm not expecting praise either. If you really want I can take down the thread, but I think I am entitled to defending my opinion.
I can't see how it would be much use - even if it was just for the studio, presumably the point would be to take your creation and play it live, at which point you've literally got a balancing act. Surely it would be more useful to have either an actual wah rocker pedal plugged into something like the digitech whammy (they do versions that don't involve a rocker pedal), or a classic style whammy pedal into an auto wah. 

Whilst I've not got a multi effects unit, I've looked into them a lot recently - those I've investigated don't seem to allow for the rocker to control more than one effect at a time. 

Still, I can't see how it would work when actually playing - more to he point, it's hard enough learning to control the way properly and play at the same time, without throwing another rocker pedal in the mix!

edit: obviously I've just taken pitch shift as an example here - I'm not sure of any pedal that allows you to control distortion or overdrive with a pedal - except maybe one of the zooms I've looked at rcently (although I admit I only skimmed the users manual)
Last edited by darthbuttchin at Apr 18, 2017,
Quote by Babel Fishes
kristbubnjar
First up, do you play a lot of metal or something? 'Cause I always stand playing with my legs a maximum of 30-40 degrees apart.
Secondly, maybe I'm just being stupid, but I think that this would be a GREAT thing. I think that two pedals would allow for complicated and interesting sound FX for electric and electroacoustic music (maybe not for gigs where you're standing up, but the guitar is an incredibly versatile instrument). Crybabied tonal shifting and sliding sounds awesome to me, but I'm a bit of a sound FX geek...

I do not disagree that having those sorts of controls at your feet would be a good thing. However, I cannot imagine how having all that in a single gizmo would be significantly better than having multiple gizmos mounted on a board to keep them close together and easy to use. 

If it is your opinion that having all of your sonic eggs in one basket (so to speak) is preferrable to multiple gizmos on a board, I won't attempt to claim you are mistaken. But, I don't think it is out of line to ask for some sort of explanation of the rationale behind your opinion. I mean, surely you thought this through, right? So, I would imagine that you considered multiple gadgets on a single mounting board, and rejected that over getting a super-gadget that did everything, right? So why did you reach the conclusion you reached?  
Vox used to make one called the Tonelab SE.  It was actually a pretty good pedal but really BIG!  If it was a hot selling item I don't think they would have discontinued it but...

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
gerdner
Okay, cool - I think that one multi effects "gizmo" (I like that word, I'm gonna start using it more often) would be better (personally), as I have an annoying habit of losing things (especially smaller gizmos, I have a Blackstar Distortion Pedal that I have lost multiple times), and also because I do a lot of gigs, and lugging a box with lots of small, but quite heavy, things in it, alongside 2 electric guitars and an electroacoustic one as well, does not sound like my idea of fun.
Quote by Babel Fishes
gerdner
Okay, cool - I think that one multi effects "gizmo"  (I like that word, I'm gonna start using it more often) would be better (personally), as I have an annoying habit of losing things (especially smaller gizmos, I have a Blackstar Distortion Pedal that I have lost multiple times), and also because I do a lot of gigs, and lugging a box with lots of small, but quite heavy, things in it, alongside 2 electric guitars and an electroacoustic one as well, does not sound like my idea of fun.

In that case, you just answered your own question, "Because if there's none, isn't that a huge hole in the market?" Your reasons and rationale make perfect sense, to you, but that is not a common attitude shared by many guitarists. Most who have reached a point in their careers where they are playing a lot of gigs and needs a lot of gear will have their roadies schlep their gear. Even those with no roadies usually insist on separate stomp boxes, because guitarists are notorious for being stuck in the past. Once upon a time only separate, discrete, single function stomp boxes were very good, and the first-generation of multi-function boxes weren't all that great. So, if Hendrix used several single-function boxes, then only single function boxes are worth buying.  

I use a multi-function box myself, and I think it's great. But my opinions are way outside the mainstream. In terms of being a "hole in the market", the lack of a device that you describe is a very, very small one. 
gerdner 
I'll admit that "huge" was certainly the wrong adjective to describe the size of the hole in the market.
Again, maybe I'm a bit of a sound FX nerd, but my favourite thing about multi-FX pedals is how easy they are to program pre-set effects into them, a trait that I have always found lacking in effects boxes - I'm fully aware that not as many people are bothered about this than I am.
To my knowledge, the Zoom is programmable - the user manual is available on the link I posted, so I'd suggest having a flick through and seeing if it meets your requirements. 
Quote by Babel Fishes
Because if there's none, isn't that a huge hole in the market?

Not a huge hole if no one but you is really looking for one <G>. 
The old Line 6 FBV longboard (which worked with most Line 6 Pods) has two expression pedals, both of which can be programmable. 

The Line 6 Helix only comes with one expression pedal built on, but has plugs in the back for two more (Mission Engineering is probably the current go-to source) and you can assign a wide variety of parameters to those as well as the onboard pedal. In addition, if you have a Variax guitar connected to the Helix via VDI cable, you can assign FX parameters to what would normally be the volume and tone controls on the guitar. Note, in the first few frames of the second video, that they're using two additional Mission Engineering expression pedals with the Helix. Note, too, the interesting pickup array on the Suhr guitar being used in the second video.

;list=RD5k50ho7gwoU&index=2 

I'm assuming that a lot of the reason that most Multi-FX come with just one involves cost and real estate. If most customers don't need more than one, why add the cost and take up the space of putting two onboard? 
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 19, 2017,
Buy a volume pedal to add to your multi effects that has a programmable expression pedal.
33db
That would be the most obvious option, but I would basically like to be able to control pitch AND crybaby, or pitch AND volume, or volume AND crybaby.
Quote by Babel Fishes
33db
That would be the most obvious option, but I would basically like to be able to control pitch AND crybaby, or pitch AND volume, or volume AND crybaby.

You could, you have a volume/wah pedal and the programmable exp pedal on the MFX.
Besides that way you can choose from any MFX with an EXp Pedal, instead of looking for that single MFX that has 2.
Last edited by 33db at Apr 19, 2017,
Quote by Babel Fishes
I'm not sure what to say now that I've started agreeing with you guys.

Or go with what dspellman said, get the line6 or something similar with multiple exp pedal inputs.

Just a thought, one of the reasons I do not like MXF is the chance if it fails there goes all your EFX, with multiple pedals there's little chance everything fails.
Of the 2 MFX I owned, I found them tedious to program, I'm really more of a pick it up and play guy, don't want to program anything so individual foot pedals suit me.

I don't gig though, so there could be a number of reasons I am unaware of that MFX pedals are better for gigging.
Quote by reverb66
You can't control that many parameters at once with any gear I know of.  Line 6 Helix or Ax FX8 would be the first place to check. 

I was thinking the same thing, but if you run into a computer with Guitar Rig I'm pretty sure you can use all the MIDI notes available to control that software.
What a nightmare to set up, for me anyway.
Quote by 33db

Just a thought, one of the reasons I do not like MXF is the chance if it fails there goes all your EFX, with multiple pedals there's little chance everything fails.

I don't gig though, so there could be a number of reasons I am unaware of that MFX pedals are better for gigging.

There are a HOST of reasons that MFX are better for gigging. 
I usually carry two of everything, including a second MFX, if I'm gigging. Nothing like apologizing to the people who came to see you (and the rest of the band) that you'll have to come back some other time. MFX are often cheaper than your pedalboard ( I once realized that I had nearly two grand in a pedal board I was using, and I still couldn't change a parameter on any of the FX in the middle of a song).  And remember that you have MORE points of potential failure, including every connector and every little connector cable and all of the power connections. If your One Spot goes out, then what?
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 19, 2017,
Quote by dspellman

I carry two of everything on a gig. For me, carrying two MFX has been cheaper than carrying two of every pedal on my pedal board.

All good points, but the above sells it for me, plus it's tidy.
I would need something like the Helix, that thing has it all plus it's tidy looking.
33db I actually had a behringer FCB1010 pluged into my computer, running amplitube. I had the two expression pedals setup anyway i wanted, and it was usually one for wah and one for pitch. Or two whammys in a row, two wahs, and i even got it to control the other knobs on the effects. It wasnt THAT complex to setup after you spent some time researching MIDI, but there was still some midimagic involved. I guess if you are not computer savy it does seem like a pretty daunting task.

Anyway, OP, if you are willing to go down that road, it works. Grab an interface for 200$, and a FCB1010 for another hundred, and you are set to go, with whatever software you choose to use. Its just not very usable. Its a nice gimick and can be a lot of fun, but i never actually managed to use it in a somehwat musical context.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
The Zoom G5 has a built-in "Z" pedal that you can assign different functions for movement along the horizontal axis (like pitch) and along the vertical axis (like wah) and you can plug in an extra expression pedal for volume.  $300 back when they were new.

If you have a bigger budget, I'd recommend the Helix.  Maybe a Helix LT can do it too, for $500 less--don't know if if has enough expression pedal inputs, though.
G5 might not "freeze" while doing the other stuff you want to, but you can put an MS-50 or an MS-70CDR inline afterwards to do it (or something really close).  Also a G1Xon does a lot of what the other pedals can do...and also has another expression pedal.  I'd been using just a G1Xon for travel, but at home lately I'm using a G5 with an MS-50 for delay to make noise between songs while I change patches.
Quote by SpeedSterHR
 Also a G1Xon does a lot of what the other pedals can do...and also has another expression pedal.  

The G1Xon isn't great as a gigging pedal though, it's more of a practice tool.  You want at least the G3 range for gigging with an amp etc. to give you control over individual effects in a patch rather than having to change patch every time.

Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Page 1 of 2