Page 1 of 2
I was just on the Fender website and noticed they raised the prices on several of their American made guitars. Yeah our economy is doing so good, go right ahead and raise your prices. Now where was that G&L offer?
It happens I mean you figure that eventually everyone has to raise prices. Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc. At some point everyone does it.
Buy used.  The prices of all new guitars and amps has gone up dramatically over the last few years. An American Standard Strat that has been well maintained will remain an excellent guitar.  I bought one from 1989 a few years ago and it's flawless. They all basically sound the same so if you're on a budget check the classifieds.
There are plenty of other brands out there, even some that make guitars in the US.
Quote by reverb66
Buy used.  The prices of all new guitars and amps has gone up dramatically over the last few years. An American Standard Strat that has been well maintained will remain an excellent guitar.  I bought one from 1989 a few years ago and it's flawless. They all basically sound the same so if you're on a budget check the classifieds.

it usually eventually feeds in to used prices as well. most people selling a second-hand guitar will notice that new prices have jumped, and will raise their prices accordingly, since most buyers decide what to spend on a s/h guitar based on the new price...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

also correlates to the decline in spirograph...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 18, 2017,
See, I knew this shit was going to happen, that's why when Fender introduced the American Professional and was trying to dump their inventory of the American Standard series, I swooped in and bought an American Standard Strat for $1,099. I wanted a Telecaster too, but had insufficient funds. I'm kicking myself now because I bought a Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute instead, I should have gotten a Tele. Fuck me.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Good thing I only buy Andersons and suhrs
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Good ol FMIC,  Lets buy up Guild and show those workers in RI. the unemployment line while we buy up Tacoma and build the Guild's there till we get production at the Corona CA factory up and running with cheap undocumented labor,  and we know who I'm talking about here.  Then show the workers in Tacoma WA. the unemployment line too,   Kind one of the reasons I refuse to buy any Fender product,  Corporate greed,  Fuck Fender
Quote by K33nbl4d3
nastytroll
You sure are angry about a lot of shit

If your not perhaps you should open your eyes and explore the world outside your little bubble  
Last edited by nastytroll at Apr 18, 2017,
It doesn't hurt so much if you buy what you really want and keep it for a long time. My Strat was the top of the line when I bought it a long time ago (cost me over four months rent back then), but it continues to be my one and only performance guitar today. Now I can look back and think of it as having cost me $29 per year, to date; or I can look forward and think of it as recovering its total cost every few performances. What I can't imagine it not having gotten it, just because of "cost"... 
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
i think you'll find the price increase is on models with a rosewood fingerboard. due to cites prices have gone up on rosewood and it's harder to get
Quote by monwobobbo
i think you'll find the price increase is on models with a rosewood fingerboard. due to cites prices have gone up on rosewood and it's harder to get

Yup. I've noticed other brands adding a premium on rosewood as well. It's not a Fender exclusive. 
Either way, buying used is winning.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587
*mods
Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by PlusPaul
It doesn't hurt so much if you buy what you really want and keep it for a long time. My Strat was the top of the line when I bought it a long time ago (cost me over four months rent back then), but it continues to be my one and only performance guitar today. Now I can look back and think of it as having cost me $29 per year, to date; or I can look forward and think of it as recovering its total cost every few performances. What I can't imagine it not having gotten it, just because of "cost"... 

I shop very carefully..I will research a product for many months before I buy..It took me over a year to buy a les paul classic..I read and played and priced every way I could..and it is not that I didn't have the money..thats not the point..I want to be satisified..even happy with my purchase..and because a guitar to me is very personal..I need that factor to be paramount in the decision to buy..
my next guitar is a fender telecaster Elite-rosewood fingerboard..a while back I was going after the American Delux..but there was just something I could not quite accept about it,,whatever it was..the Elite bypassed it..and just today an expensive auto repair suddenly was covered by by the dealer..so the universe said..happy telecaster...
play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
I shop very carefully..I will research a product for many months before I buy..It took me over a year to buy a les paul classic..I read and played and priced every way I could..and it is not that I didn't have the money..thats not the point..I want to be satisified..even happy with my purchase..and because a guitar to me is very personal..I need that factor to be paramount in the decision to buy..
my next guitar is a fender telecaster Elite-rosewood fingerboard..a while back I was going after the American Delux..but there was just something I could not quite accept about it,,whatever it was..the Elite bypassed it..and just today an expensive auto repair suddenly was covered by by the dealer..so the universe said..happy telecaster...

I just did more research, Guitarcenter still has 2016 American Teles in stock. That is super value, I'm tempted to sell my Les Paul and get a Standard Tele.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by monwobobbo

There are additional issues with rosewood. I was set to order an import from Germany (made in China), and the day before I placed the order some bureaucratic rule kicked in and no European company was allowed to export anything that had rosewood in it outside of the EU. But, it's always easier for people to blame "corporate greed" instead of investigating and discovering the facts. 
Quote by SanDune65
What's so great about rosewood?

It's strong, looks good and has a good "tone".
Quote by 33db
It's strong, looks good and has a good "tone".

So does ebony, hard maple, and carbon fiber. I would love to see any evidence that the wood on a fretboard has a noticeable effect of on "tone".
Quote by SanDune65
What's so great about rosewood?
It is (or was, anyway) easily available, and showed up dirt less than maple. That's why Fender started using it, anyway.
Thanks, I was just wondering about it. I would rather see a manufacturer raise their price a little to be able continue with a quality product that the consumer is used to, rather than cut some corners on material to save the consumer $$$.
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by gerdner
So does ebony, hard maple, and carbon fiber. I would love to see any evidence that the wood on a fretboard has a noticeable effect of on "tone".

Oh god, let me grab my popcorn before the next installment of this battle starts.

Quote by gerdner
There are additional issues with rosewood. I was set to order an import from Germany (made in China), and the day before I placed the order some bureaucratic rule kicked in and no European company was allowed to export anything that had rosewood in it outside of the EU. But, it's always easier for people to blame "corporate greed" instead of investigating and discovering the facts. 

One of the important facts in these ongoing issues involving importing woods is that the laws ARE NOT really aimed at the guitar industry. As a matter of fact, I was just reading a Sierra Club article in which an advocate of the laws points out that the vast majority of the guitar industry are "the good guys" in the matter who are unfortunately being affected by these regulations which were put in place to curb the illegal practices of the Chinese high-end furniture market, who is responsible for creating these problems in the first place. 
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by gerdner

What sort of idiot would use CF on a fretboard?
get on that sweet sweet pau ferro gravy train.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Quote by 33db
What sort of idiot would use CF on a fretboard?

Rainsong. Any of the obscure brands of all carbon fiber guitars. But the issue isn't who would use it. The issue is whether it would work. And it would work. So would solid forged steel, though using that would be silly. But silly or not, it would work.
Last edited by gerdner at Apr 19, 2017,
gerdner
I wonder what they did to keep the fingerboard from wearing down and releasing fibers, which in a few years people will come to see are far far worse than fiberglass or asbestos.
CF is nasty stuff, I've worked with it and now stay away from it.
Carbon fiber is fibers mixed with resins. There are tons of different kinds of resins, with different characteristics, including wear resistance. Some resins might wear down easily. Others are almost indestructible.
Quote by gerdner
Carbon fiber is fibers mixed with resins. There are tons of different kinds of resins, with different characteristics, including wear resistance. Some resins might wear down easily. Others are almost indestructible.

I know all that, I worked with that stuff, and I disagree with "indestructible".
Quote by 33db
I know all that, I worked with that stuff, and I disagree with "indestructible".

I don't have any way of knowing what you do or don't know. As for "indestructible", perhaps I should have said, "in normal use, for all practical intents and purposes, it's nearly indestructible." But then this is an internet forum post, not a formal dissertation on the strengths of materials prepared as part of a product performance contract that would hold up in court.
A fretboard isn't subject to much wear, in any case. Unless you're playing absolutely slinkies as if they were 12s (or you don't cut your nails enough), all that really touches it is some of your fingertip which is not going to do much to carbon fibre.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
A fretboard isn't subject to much wear, in any case. Unless you're playing absolutely slinkies as if they were 12s (or you don't cut your nails enough), all that really touches it is some of your fingertip which is not going to do much to carbon fibre.

It isn't the fiber, it's the resin, who knows what long term contact with sweat and oils from your hands do to the resin.
My strings touch the fret board, long ago when I was a teen I had a guitar that I played everyday and the rosewood was scalloped after 5 or 6 years.
Quote by 33db
It isn't the fiber, it's the resin, who knows what long term contact with sweat and oils from your hands do to the resin.
My strings touch the fret board, long ago when I was a teen I had a guitar that I played everyday and the rosewood was scalloped after 5 or 6 years.

And have you since learned how to play properly?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
And have you since learned how to play properly?

Scratch that...
I checked and the string doesn't touch, I had always assumed it did because I didn't imagine my finger tips wearing it like that but that appears to be the case, at least if your frets are not worn extensively.
Just like a worry stone, enough time rubbing with fingers wears it away, pretty sure the same holds true for carbon fiber resin as well.
Last edited by 33db at Apr 19, 2017,
Quote by gerdner

not additional just a byproduct of th new Cites regulations. US dealers won't export either. 
Quote by 33db

I've played the crap out of my CF guitar, sweated all over it, and not put hardly any attention into cleaning it and such. It's still like brand new after almost 2 years. No signs of wear on the frets...the tuners are still tight/perfect (of course....they rarely get used, the thing never goes out of tune), and where I've stanked it up with sweat it wipes right off. I noticed last week when I was playing that I was literally bowing the neck slightly (I'm not a gentle player, sadly). Still...action is perfect, intonation perfect. It's wonderful. 

Where did you work with Carbon Fiber? Looks like it might be nasty stuff to work with. 
Page 1 of 2