Hey All

So I have been using the same Laney LC15110 amp for about 7 years now and it seems to be on it's last legs:

• The effects loop cuts out the amp completely when anything is plugged in (used to be my chorus and delay pedals, but now it's nothing)
  • The volume is only stable when set to just under 3 otherwise it drops in and out
  • Then after half an hour of playing the volume fades out then back in after a couple of seconds

I've done the obvious things like changing cables, disconnecting all pedals and reconnecting them one by one, and each on their own, but the same problems occur. So, I think I should replace my amp.

I use a Blackstar HT Metal dual channel pedal so an amp with a built in distortion/overdrive switch isn't necessary, however gain control is important, as well as decent EQ settings and not just a single dial for EQ.

I have tried out a Blackstar amp (whose name I forget right now) which I liked, as well as a Fender Bass Breaker 007 which I also liked, however I'm looking for suggestions because the 2 local musical instruments shops didn't have very much choice on the store floor for amps of similar size (physically) and output as my Laney, without all the voice presets and stuff.

What would the lovely people of UG suggest? My budget is £350.

Cheers all  

And, no I am not getting a Spider before the suggestion comes in... yup I have set myself up for it now, damn.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
As to that amp in the same size (physically)  your going to be hard pressed to find anything better or equal to it,  Not that it cant be done it just may take awhile and be more than you wish to spend,   I know its a dying trade but have you considered  having your Laney repaired? For the right person there very simple to work on and may cost far less than you realize,  Or at least a lot less than a new amp of equal performance. 
Last edited by nastytroll at May 13, 2017,
No need to get a new amp. All the symptoms you describe point to failing tubes. Just get the amp retuned. That type of stuff will happen with any amp over time. Just the cost of maintaining a tube amp.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
nastytroll I did ask at both shops about repairs, but they only have guitar techs they work with, not amp repairs unfortunately. I also did think about looking into finding someone to repair it as well, but not sure where to start looking if I'm honest. As far as the cost goes, the Laney only cost £270 new from one of the shops I've been back into looking for a replacement.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
When was the last time you replaced the tubes?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
It sounds like you need new power tubes. No new amp required.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Not really repair. Necessary maintenance like changing the oil in your car,but easier to do.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
scott58 I don't drive haha, but I get the analogy. I will look into repair people in my area and I've checked what valves I need as Laney do a maintenance kit for approx £35 with both the passive and power valves included. Thanks for the information
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
Just order some tubes , replace the small tubes and you won't need to bias the amp , the big tubes either work or don't work and won't cause the problems you have
Yep, that amp is done so just ship it to me for proper disposal ;D

Or a fresh set of tubes and you are good to go.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 14, 2017,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep, that amp is done so just ship it to me for proper disposal ;D

Or a fresh set of tubes and you are good to go.

Oh yeah, wonder what shipping fees are to cross the pond. A Laney is in my future.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Not really repair. Necessary maintenance like changing the oil in your car,but easier to do.

not easier if you have to bias the thing.

i'm not sure if the lc15 is cathode-biased or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
your amp will have a group of small tubes and a group (one or more ) bigger tubes .... the small tubes are causing your problem and do not need to be Bias .... the Larger tubes need Biasing if you replace them but you don't need to with your problem
I doubt if that's much of an issue with a Laney 15 watt. It might be...
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Fumble fingers
your amp will have a group of small tubes and a group (one or more ) bigger tubes .... the small tubes are causing your problem and do not need to be Bias .... the Larger tubes need Biasing if you replace them but you don't need to with your problem

yeah if the problem is preamp tubes then you don't need to bias. Most (but not all) amps need to be biased when changing the power tubes- which is dangerous (potentially lethal) if you don't know what you're doing.

cathode-biased amps don't need to be biased, though. and most single-ended amps (most amps with one power tube... but a few amps these days (obvious example is the blackstar ht-5) use a dual tube for the power tube, so even though it looks like it only has one power tube it has two, and the ht-5 does need to be biased) don't need to be biased, either.
Quote by scott58
I doubt if that's much of an issue with a Laney 15 watt. It might be...

i think the laney vc15 needs to be biased, even though you'd think it'd be cathode-biased (and confusingly, I think the vc30 *is* cathode-biased and doesn't need to be biased ). But as I said, I can't remember if the lc15 needs to be biased or not.

But it's all moot if the problem is the preamp tubes. Just useful for future reference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Dave_Mc the affects loop are controlled by the small 12AX7 tubes along with volume drop out issues are all small tube issues ..... the big tubes are power tubes and need bias'ing , if the amp does not have Bias adjustment like Mesa's then you have to buy power tubes that match Mesa's spec's ..... you can play with the small tube 12AX7's all day long to tailor your sound from different styles of 12AX7 tubes and never have to mess with a Bias adjustment 
^ the loop doesn't seem to be tube-driven on the lc15 (well, the lc15r, anyway, the regular lc15 doesn't seem to have a loop).
sawp the tube, it takes 10 seconds.
unplug the amp for a day, sawp the tube with the correct replacement or something else that will work, and the test it. or it also could just be a fuse, while ago i had a marshall, same stuff happened, took it for repairs, the guy told me all i needed was a 70 cent fuse.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
This guy looks like he'd know about servicing LC15s:
http://www.chambonino.com/work/laney/lane1.html

I have a LC15 but haven't needed to change the power tubes, surprised to see that there are 2 power amp tubes in this amp.

OP, try changing the preamp tubes and see if it fixes the issue, if not - change power tubes, pull the manual and see if you need a bias on the power tube or contact Laney.

Not sure about 300 pound amps what could be had, maybe an AC15? If you just need a clean sound over your HT pedal, maybe look at some clean sounding tube amps that can do well with pedals, Marshall Class5 comes to mind.
diabolical cheers I will have a look at them. I'm going tube shopping today to see if that fixes the issue and if not I'll go amp shopping next weekend
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance