Page 1 of 2
So let me start off by saying I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and love it to bits. BUT I find myself still looking back fondly on my old iBanez s series. After looking at ibanez's website I see they have a basic S series with fixed bridge for under 500 CAD. I know the quality isn't going to be on par with my Gibson but I still want it. I have the feeling I got my dream guitar too soon haha. Anybody on here that can related?
If its your dream guitar then you wouldn't have any regrets IMO.

FWIW there is nothing wrong with having more than one guitar. So just get the Ibanez too if you can afford it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
you need a woman that can cook, a woman that can clean and a woman that likes to have "fun".
it's also important that these three women never meet.

same goes for guitar, one won't do everything.

i kid i kid, or do i?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
you'll have other dreams...

although if you prefer the s series then maybe the les paul isn't your dream at all.

those are two very different guitars
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
I have a disease, I'm no longer just thinking of my "dream guitar" I've totally gone off the deep end thinking of my "dream collection".
Flying in a blue dream
Allow me to agree that getting another guitar even if you have your "dream" guitar isn't really an issue there are several members here including myself that have multiple guitars, I don't really see the issue here.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I can sort of relate, assuming I followed you story correctly.

As a youg/er guy, I went from my first Jackson Dinky (the cheap one), to an Esp Viper, to Epiphone Les paul (think it was a $400 version) and then I went ahead and Bought a Rickenbacker 620 in Mapleglo.  Not that the color mattered, but I was extremely proud of my rick.  I had only been playing guitar for a few years by this time.  I was 19 playing punk rock and had a rick jamming through an Orange half stack.  I worked hard for it all, but still, I don't think I valued it as much as I should have at the time.  Now I look back, I've gone through many amps and guitars.  I have a humble rig that I continue to play, buried in debt in true Adult fashion, and would give anything to play that Rickenbacker again.  
Badluckpalms You pretty much hit the nail on the head lol. I have an epi les Paul as well so it's not a matter of me not thinking it's ok to have two guitars it's just that it feels like I'm going backwards quality wise.
The trouble with dream guitars is that they are only a dream guitar when you don't have it, and the dream is often built around how you think it will feel and sound, rather than how it actually feels and sounds.  We often base the dream on what our favourite players play, or base it on the cool vibe rather than playability, but once you get the dream guitar and find it isn't what you thought it would be you move on to a new dream.  Welcome to the wonderful and often frustrating world of the guitarist.

Added to this is that the dream changes with time as your musical tastes change, so the dream guitar changes.  My first proper guitar was a Les Paul Deluxe.  I wanted a Les Paul, because Jimmy Page had a Les Paul.  I never really liked it.  Some 50 or so guitars later and I'm a confirmed SG fan (the dream for about 10 years was to have a '60s SG Junior, which I now have and love) but I dare say that may change (although I'm 51 now and like to think of myself as being very old and wise, so maybe not)

I guess what I'm saying is you can't possibly get your dream guitar too soon, because you probably don't even know what it is yet, and when you do it'll change.
Last edited by Screaming Dave at May 15, 2017,
I have my dream guitar.

I dont pretend like my dream guitar is the only guitar I want though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I have my dream guitar.

I dont pretend like my dream guitar is the only guitar I want though.

Nailed it. If anything, now that I have a guitar to always fall back on, I just want guitars for other reasons: interesting features, looks, different styles, looks, maybe something that will inspire me to play different styles, and looks.

I really like pretty guitars.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
<sigh> I used to have dream guitars, and it was very much a moving target. Now I have dream playing skills and dream sounds, IOW, I outgrew them, got jaded, something like that. OTOH, I think owning a dream guitar is a very good thing if it makes you tried harder - but it won't magically confer the playing skills of your hero.

Most of us like to own nice things, we are collectors, and I have no problem with owning a fairly expensive guitar and playing a cheapo. The fact that I have invested in it is enough to keep me motivated to improve.
Last edited by Tony Done at May 15, 2017,
No such thing as bigamy with guitars.

Have as many dream guitars as you have dreams.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by gregs1020
you need a woman that can cook, a woman that can clean and a woman that likes to have "fun".  
it's also important that these three women never meet.  

same goes for guitar, one won't do everything.  

i kid i kid, or do i?  

actually you can get all that in one woman  i know i did. believe me that's all you need.  guitars on the other hand don't get jealous, seek lawyers or other wise frown on you having more than one. 
My dream guitar changes every few years. I've got a pretty solid set of my "dream guitars" with my LP, Strat, and Ibanez S470, but I'm likely going to be adding a Agile 7 string LP clone to the mix.

Over the years I have owned and sold a ton of dream guitars. Those 3 are the ones that have hung in there. The strat and LP have both been in my possession over 15 years and the Ibanez almost a decade.
Quote by Bryan0803
So let me start off by saying I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and love it to bits. BUT I find myself still looking back fondly on my old iBanez s series. After looking at ibanez's website I see they have a basic S series with fixed bridge for under 500 CAD. I know the quality isn't going to be on par with my Gibson but I still want it. I have the feeling I got my dream guitar too soon haha. Anybody on here that can related?

I thought an Ibanez Artist was about the best playing guitar I ever pulled off a rack, definitely better than a Les Paul off rack.
Can't remember the exact model but it had a double cut away, both of equal size, that thing was sweet.
Carthago delenda est.
I've had guitars I regret selling, Mostly because they're worth a small fortune today,  But to be honest there was a reason I sold or horse traded them in the first place.  Your dream guitar is always a moving target, as you progress and change so do your guitars in many cases,  Obviously I like the guitars I have now better than the ones I use to have or I wouldn't have them,  And now I'm smart enough not to sell or horse trade them, just add to the collection,  Kinda like money in the bank, 
33db

I'm playing a 2002 Les Paul now. Right before that I had a 1985 Ibanez Artist. I'd have to completely disagree.
SSS
I don't have the multi-grand version, but my '62RI Tele is basically the guitar I want more than anything else. I love it.

I still look into ERGs, Gibson-type things, shredders, things with Floyds, (and mean to buy them in due time) because my Tele is not those things.
Quote by JustRooster
33db

I'm playing a 2002 Les Paul now. Right before that I had a 1985 Ibanez Artist. I'd have to completely disagree.

This was my experience pulling them off the rack in the store, Ibanez Artist had the lowest action and best feel for my taste.
Once set up I'm sure the LP is the equal of or superior to.
Is there a universal for how a guitar feels? It seems entirely subjective.
Carthago delenda est.
Last edited by 33db at May 15, 2017,
Also..maybe make new dreams 

or dream a little higher then a gibson les paul tradition. 
Quote by AcousticMirror
Also..maybe make new dreams 

or dream a little higher then a gibson les paul tradition. 

I've been lusting after this exact guitar for more than a couple years. I wonder what I'll have to dream of to replace it after I finally get one.
SSS
Tastes change. You can love more than one guitar. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587
*mods
Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
I am planning to get a budget acoustic guitar next week.  Now i have two choices including the one from Fender and the second one is from Hohner. Could you tell me which one is better or you could give me another recommendation?
I rarely play my other guitars since I bought my CA Cargo. I've even bought another CF guitar since, but the Cargo still gets all my love. I don't miss playing my other guitars either. Occasionally I'll drag the Taylor out, but my Seagull, Dean, Cordoba never get any love. 
Quote by Frank_Music
I am planning to get a budget acoustic guitar next week.  Now i have two choices including the one from Fender and the second one is from Hohner. Could you tell me which one is better or you could give me another recommendation?
You'd be best off asking this question in its own thread, rather than someone else's thread on a different topic. I'm on my phone right now so I can't easily link it, but there's a thread near the top of this subforum titled something like "how to get good advice" with some useful info on posting that kind of thread. Finally, please post it in the acoustic guitar subforum, as the people who regularly visit that section of the site are, on average, more knowledgeable about acoustics than those of us here.
Quote by JustRooster

I've been lusting after this exact guitar for more than a couple years. I wonder what I'll have to dream of to replace it after I finally get one.

seven string regius core of course
Quote by monwobobbo
actually you can get all that in one woman  i know i did. believe me that's all you need 

i'd settle for 2/3.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i'd settle for 2/3.

So would she be missing arms or legs. Dunno about 2/3s of a woman I kinda like em whole
Ibanez, ESP LTD, Jackson, Fender are all on my Want list. Sadly my bank account and fiancé don't really agree. She was all for me playing guitar until I went to the music shop for a pack of picks and came home with a $2500 Gibson lol
Quote by Bryan0803

I really have never had a "dream" guitar. I've always known that  there were a LOT of guitars out there, and that my tastes shift and that music itself shifts. 
Quote by AcousticMirror
seven string regius core of course

Mayones is just great in general.
SSS
Quote by Badluckpalms
I have a humble rig that I continue to play, buried in debt in true Adult fashion, and would give anything to play that Rickenbacker again.  

I'm lucky in that I bought some nice gear when I was younger, stopped playing for years but never sold any of my favorite gear.  Now I'm older, buried in bills and debt (ok, not TOO bad, but I have to think twice before dropping >$1000 on an axe) but luckily I still have my gear (2 US Jackson Soloists, 1 Martin acoustic, and a Mesa Mark IV 1x12 combo). GAS hits me regularly but if I never got another axe or AMP, I'd be ok.  I still love my gear. 
Quote by dspellman
I really have never had a "dream" guitar. I've always known that  there were a LOT of guitars out there, and that my tastes shift and that music itself shifts. 

i came to that conclusion a number of years back myself. been though a fair number of guitars since i started playing. several were supposed to be "the one"  but in the end were "the one " for then and replaced later with something else for now. for me it's far more about a certain feel than a specific type of guitar. 
Yeah from my experience there can often be a disconnect between your "dream guitar" and your perfect guitar.It's a special moment when you get your dream guitar but not as satisfying as when you find your perfect guitar.
Imo
Page 1 of 2