I was just wondering if any of you guys had done something besides playing gigs, having an active facebook page and having merchandise that was actually pretty succesful in promoting your band! Tell us your stories!
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
There's this local grindcore band here that spits milk on the audience, worth a shot.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
One of my bands traveled to Austin to play the opening of an art gallery on a Saturday evening. Being from out of town, we had no local following so we did not expect a huge crowd. The shop next door sold exotic firewood - fancy woods for cooking fires, barbecue pits, etc. About 7pm  the shop owner put out buckets of these woods at the edge of the parking lot and lit them on fire so that the smell would advertise for him...

The parking lot grass caught fire and shortly the place was stormed by the fire department firetrucks, an ambulance, and a few police cars, lots of sirens and flashing lights, with smoke up in the air above. The walking traffic out for the evening within a few blocks converged on the place to see what was happening and about the time the fire had been extinguished and the police and firemen had finished scolding the fancy wood shop owner, there had accumulated about 800 people, who were then all wandering around, meeting each other, and asking among themselves, "Well, what do you want to do now?" If you saw a picture of it you might guess it was some huge protest going on, except everyone was happy and nobody had any signs.

It was at that moment at 8pm that we began our concert and everybody decided to check us out. The gallery could not even hold all of them, so many hung around outside listening until they could get in (there was complimentary catered food!). The place was packed and more... the gallery opening was a crazy excellent success.

Of course this was not something we did, it just happened, like a little promotion miracle.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at Jun 6, 2017,
PlusPaul That is AWESOME.
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
This one time my old band tried regular rehearsals and a well-planned live show.

For actual though: you probably want to find a narrower market than facebook, and use it to target other geographical areas. 
Last edited by cdgraves at Jun 8, 2017,
one time i was running a fancy wood shop down in austin and a nearby art gallery hit me up asking me to help create a commotion to get people over there. i like performance art, so i tried lighting some wood to get people in the mood to do some brooding art stuff, but it caught fire and this band from out of town showed up out of nowhere and laughed at me. then they just start playing a gig while all the austinites danced on my grave. i became a laughing stock and had to skip town after that

shows what i get for trying to help my local community. promoting things is lame
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Hail Don't be so hard on yourself. Just tell your new friends, "They call me Fancy Wood"...
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Hail ride with it man.
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Murder, suicide, and arson seemed to work pretty well for black metal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
theogonia777 doesn't seem so unusual then, does it?
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
We once ran a themed gig - the Spring Fling. Handed out free headbands, did crappy trivia and held a danceoff where the winner won a pineapple.

Sold the place out, was an awesome night.

Did exactly the same thing a year later, drew less than 1/3 of the people.

Band popularity is a pretty weird thing. Pretty hard to get, even harder to maintain.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
We once ran a themed gig - the Spring Fling. Handed out free headbands, did crappy trivia and held a danceoff where the winner won a pineapple.

Sold the place out, was an awesome night.

Did exactly the same thing a year later, drew less than 1/3 of the people.

Band popularity is a pretty weird thing. Pretty hard to get, even harder to maintain.

This sounds like an incredible hippie swinging awful dancing drunken jamboree. I forget people do that kind of thing
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Phazon For sure, incredibly cheesy and a bunch of fun.

As a point of trivia, I overestimated the capacity of the venue and made too many headbands, like 50 too many. No worries though, people started wearing multiple headbands on various parts of their body.

Also people took a bunch of flowers and went out clubbing. The next day I heard these stories about people throwing flowers everywhere in multiple nightclubs across the city.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
AlanHB Yeah it sounds like that kind of night
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm