I intend to buy this guitar from a friend of mine. This guitar which he was given from his uncle. I have searched for many website and forum but until now I cant find any information of this unknown wood. Please help me if you know. 
Thanks so much for your time and your knowledge.

Likely one of the variations of "flame" maple, possibly curly maple, flat sawn in a tangential plane.  This is cut from the bole of a tree with multiple trunks.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Let's see more of it.
 Judging by what appears to be abalone purfling, that's a reasonably upscale offering. Of course, we would have to know who made it, and where it was made, before proclaiming, "wow, that sucker is worth a ton of money".
Quote by skido13
Likely one of the variations of "flame" maple, possibly curly maple, flat sawn in a tangential plane.  This is cut from the bole of a tree with multiple trunks.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Let's see more of it.
I always thought the term "flame maple", was used only in conjunction with what is also sometimes called, "tiger stripe maple". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_maple
Quote by Captaincranky
I always thought the term "flame maple", was used only in conjunction with what is also sometimes called, "tiger stripe maple". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_maple

Check the blister and birdeye, it depends on the tangent of the cut.  I could be wrong, just making a suggestion.  Better chance to know if we can identify it.  I'd say if he hasn't bought it yet he should.
Dreadnought As you're likely aware, I take a rather more dim view of human motivations than most. This thread reminds me of an early Saturday morning, "PBS on network TV show", of my youth called, "What in the World". There was a panel of experts judging where and when, a particular archaeological artifacl originated. You know, "China, Ming dynasty", or Egypt perhaps Tutankhamen commissioned it"..., an on.

In this case we're presented with a rather exotic guitar back, and asked to identify it. We're further being asked to believe the TS is naive enough to think that's possible, without the parts normally associated with instrument ID, such as primarily the head stock, manufacturer's sticker, or even the entire front of the instrument.

Realistically, from the back bling, I might draw a reasonable conclusion about what the front might look like, but nothing more.

So, unless I get more pictures of the instrument in detail and in whole, I'm going to assume the TS is simply playing mind games, and not bother scouring the web for pictures of the damn back. It looks to be from a dreadnought, perhaps from the price point of a Martin D-45 or above. But really, all that could be concluded in a concrete manner, (pun intended), is the fact the guitar is a dreadnought, final answer, the end,
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 11, 2017,
skido13 OK well, a more realistic assessment might be quilted maple, or some other light timber as Tony suggested. Jus' sayin'. Hey, maybr it's "contact paper", who knows. (Just kidding).
Tony Done my impression of the finish led me to similar conclusions. I was afraid it'd be something similar to the Ibanez Artcore line, for which I have a personal dislike. 

Burl walnut seems to be an excellent guess.

Captaincranky for your ostensibly dim view of humanity, you certainly put a high sticker price on this guitar

Like most things, I assume it'll be a letdown as opposed to a hidden gem.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Tony Done
Captaincranky 

You might be right about the D-45 price, but I would put my money on it being relatively (to a D-45, that is) inexpensive Asian. The finish looks thick, and I'm not sure the ab purfling is genuine.
I had thought I alluded to that somewhat earlier in the thread, I apparently didn't. It was one of those fleeting, born of wind and straw thoughts, which my aging mind could not hold on to long enough to articulate.

However, the idea it could be a Chinese made "Martin", or other $400.00 high end replica, is not lost on me.
Quote by Dreadnought
Tony Done my impression of the finish led me to similar conclusions. I was afraid it'd be something similar to the Ibanez Artcore line, for which I have a personal dislike. 
The Ibanez "Exotic Wood" series had a lot of quilting similar to that as well. But, those were something similar to what Taylor is calling a, "grand auditorium body".
Quote by Dreadnought
Burl walnut seems to be an excellent guess.
Any walnut I've seen is more brown, with no trace of the yellow that piece exhibits.

Quote by Dreadnought
Captaincranky for your ostensibly dim view of humanity, you certainly put a high sticker price on this guitar
Well, I'm a joker too. If I appraise the guitar at five grand, and the TS manages to buy it for fifty bucks, he'll spend the rest of his life thinking what a monumentally great deal he got, and how badly he screwed his friend on it.

Quote by Dreadnought
Like most things, I assume it'll be a letdown as opposed to a hidden gem.
Many of my childhood lays have been like that as well. My ego unfortunately, won't allow me to believe it could have been the exact same disappointment to my then partner.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 11, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
Captaincranky 

[sigh] You ain't the only one. The number of typos I make these days is scary
I attempted to learn "touch typing" quite late in life. As a result, when something has to be right, I revert to "hunt and peck".

Then too, I thank god for digital word processing with spell check. I remember "the good old days", when I would run out of correction tape, before I would run out of the ink ribbon... (And 55 gallon barrels of "White Out" before that). < (OK, I might be exaggerating a bit there).
I want to say thanks to all of you guy for your great knowledge. I am from Vietnam, so this guitar was made in VN also but unknown origin. As I guess it is a hand made guitar, because there is no logo on the headstock, and the label in the body of this guitar was removed. No more information i got from my friend, who is selling this guitar. Once again, thank you so much.

Last edited by lovewood at Jun 12, 2017,
Quote by lovewood
I want to say thanks to all of you guy for your great knowledge. I am from Vietnam, so this guitar was made in VN also but unknown origin. As I guess it is a hand made guitar, because there is no logo on the headstock, and the label in the body of this guitar was removed. No more information i got from my friend, who is selling this guitar. Once again, thank you so much....[ ]....
Well, I've seen YouTube videos on this type of instrument.It's a replica of a high end Martin. At least I'm going to say Martin, judging by the shape of the head stock.
Here's a video:

The fact there is no name on the head stock, could be because it was ordered without one.

Here's a rather lengthy video on the do's and don'ts of ordering one of these instruments, at least from an American's point of view.

I sincerely doubt production of this type of guitar is limited to China, it's just that they would have more resources than Viet Nam, so they make many more of them.
Does it sound good, does it play well and can you afford it?

If you answered yes to all 3 of those questions and it feels like its made from quality materials, then I would buy it IMO and not worry so much about the history. 

Make your own history with it, unless you're a collector or in the buy & sell game, value is a relative abstract concept IMO when it comes to finding an instrument you like
Quote by Super-Peanut
Does it sound good, does it play well and can you afford it?...[ ]..
Well, like it or not, the issue isn't anywhere as simple as you're making it out to be. The guitar is n unknown, unbranded, orphan instrument. There are no exact resources to find out how much the damned thing is worth. And as a matter of course, these are things I would consider essential to know, before I fork over a pile of money, be it 50 or 5,000 dollars.

"I you like it, and it feels good to you buy it, are worthy suggestions, but you should really save them for a music store, where you can determine an instrument's worth and provenance before forking up the dough..
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 16, 2017,
From the images it looks like the bastard lovechild of an Epiphone Hummingbird (the pickguard and body bout), a Blueridge (that headstock!), and a Martin D100, the deluxe special.

Nah. It looks like a Chinese martin char-tin knockoff you can find in aliexpress for under 500. Yes the wood may be fancy at the b/s but it's probably laminated.

But like Super-Peanut said, if you play it and you like the sound of her (compare to other good guitars, if not you'll be fooling yourself), then get it. But then again I could buy a half knackered F310 and it might just blow that chartin to splinters.
Last edited by AORNova at Jun 17, 2017,
Quote by AORNova
From the images it looks like the bastard lovechild of an Epiphone Hummingbird (the pickguard and body bout), a Blueridge (that headstock!), and a Martin D100, the deluxe special.

Nah. It looks like a Chinese martin char-tin knockoff you can find in aliexpress for under 500. Yes the wood may be fancy at the b/s but it's probably laminated.

But like Super-Peanut said, if you play it and you like the sound of her (compare to other good guitars, if not you'll be fooling yourself), then get it. But then again I could buy a half knackered F310 and it might just blow that chartin to splinters.
Yeah well, I've seen demos of these Chines Martins on the web. Actually, they're not half bad, maybe a bit brighter than an equivalent Martin, but that's a plus IMO.

I've weathered many discussions about how guitars should be bought by the name on the head stock. Now I see the the topic has expanded to include the name on the factory door..
Captaincranky you're misunderstanding me. personal value and monetary value are 2 completely different things. One might influence the other for sure depending on someones perspective, but they can be completely independent of one another.  

if you're concerned mainly with monetary value, then yeah my advice isn't very good

If you're more concerned with personal value and finding something that makes you happy and you're not planning to ever resell it, then my advice is pretty much the only thing that matters i'd say
That's a well made and well appointed guitar.  You don't fake a curly cut like that, the binding on the back is beautiful and the headstock shows quality.  I'll wager the top is solid.  If it plays good and you like the sound it's a no brainer.  We don't know what price he's asking but $300 would be  a steal.