I am wanting to build my own guitar, body, neck and all.

With the wiring, I want to do basically everything possible while still maintaining practicality. I have heard that 250K pots on humbuckers can sound much "warmer" and basically everyone uses them on single coils, but 500K's have more clarity and high end response. So my real question here is, can I have my cake and eat it to? I want both a 250K and a 500K volume pot controlling all pickups, I would like to be able to switch between the two with a toggle-switch. Is this possible though?

Thanks for any help, as it is much appreciated and this newb needs all he can get!
Quote by fundo19111911
I have heard that 250K pots on humbuckers can sound much "warmer" and basically everyone uses them on single coils, but 500K's have more clarity and high end response. So my real question here is, can I have my cake and eat it to? I want both a 250K and a 500K volume pot controlling all pickups,!

I will tell you that you don't want to do this. Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I left the 250K pot from a set of single coils on the guitar when I switched to humbuckers, and it was truly crappy. I couldn't wait to get the 500K pot on the guitar. Let me suggest that you do NOT operate off of "I have heard that..." if you're building your own guitar. If you want to cut high frequencies, there are easier ways to do it. If you want something to do with another pot spot, I have a couple of suggestions.

One, consider adding a mids rolloff pot. The "tone" pot that everyone puts on their guitar is essentially just a treble rolloff pot. When Bill Lawrence designed the L6S guitar, he put a mids rolloff pot on it as well as a treble rolloff pot.

Two, consider putting a sweepable-frequency passive mids cut. There's an article from Gary Brawer in (I believe) the April 2011 Guiltar Player that covers this. Reprint here: http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/turn-your-tone-control-into-a-passive-midrange-cut/13433
Demo here:

I actually have a guitar set up almost exactly like this http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1013/neal-schons-custom-prs-gets-tricked-out/25719
But instead of the mids cut from above, I actually have an *active* sweepable mids boost on a push-pull. And since I moved the volume control on my Les Paul, I have a Buckethead-style kill switch in the old location.
dspellman Thanks for the reply, no its not about having more pots, I plan on having 6 of them so........

Really, what I wanted was the advantage of both, I still don't understand why it would be a bad idea?

I don't want a 250K on a humbucker, I want a 250K on a single, and then I want to be able to flick a switch and have a 500K for my humbucker....or both
von Layzonfon hahahaa thanks man, will definitely be wanting to try it, and yes, you're right, I plan on having 6 pots, one for each pickup, a blend knob, and the two volume knobs, only question I still have is, where the hell am I gonna find the wood to put it all in!
"I plan on having 6 pots" is not really a good reason to do this, it's silly and wasteful IMO no matter how many things you want to stuff into your guitar. As mentioned there are a long list of mods that are better worth the real estate. 

Suhr uses a super switch and a resistor setup (just google Suhr HSS wiring) so that using the same 500K pot and a bit of cleverness, the single coils get 250K and the humbucker gets 500K. That's what I'd do, otherwise you're just stepping on your own toes and working two switches every time you want to change pickups. If you want to try your humbuckers at 250K, just...turn the 500K pot down a tad. It's not magic. Should be about 7-8 on a 500K log pot. 
Roc8995 Thanks for the info, definitely took into account the whole turn down a 500k pot, but then you don't have that high and and lose clarity faster as you roll down, also, with two volume pots you have separate settings for the pickups, for instance you have a 250k run into the neck p-up at 8, with the flick of a switch, and you change to youre bridge you now have a screamin' humbucker in the bridge at 10 with a 500K pot, definetly taking into account what you said about suhr's wiring schem. what you said about working 2 switches is true, but only if you want to change volume pots, by working 2 switches you also have separate settings for the pickups, which means les twiddling with knobs, a much more tedious action imo, I also kind of take pride in my control over my controls. ( go watch some Roy Buchanan if you wanna see the master at this). 
BTW, am planning on having a EVH frankenstrat 5150 bridge p-up ( hand-wound by mwah), or at least as close as I can get to it, a P90 in the middle, and my own equivelant of a texas special in the neck. 
I'm beginning to see this all come together...

So why not just have a separate volume for each pickup? A two-step dual master volume is hardly the way to reduce "tedious actions." I seem to recall Roy playing a pretty simple Tele with one volume, one tone, and a pickup selector, so perhaps you might consider the value of doing more with less. 

Anyway, you seem to have made up your mind. This sounds like a mess to me but if it's what you want, I hope it turns out great. 
Roc8995 Yah, youre probably right in that sense, but if you can do more with less, imagine what you can do with more *MWAH HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA, all joking aside thanks for youre gracious blessing upon my project, I'm really trying to keep the controls as intuitive as a can, and have always believed that the guitar is the root and therefore the most important link in the chain of sound, I'm not trying to make this ridiculous but make it as versatile as possible while still maintaining AS MUCH practicality ( and dignity ) as possible.
dspellman THATS AWESOME, but also ridiculous, yah not quite that much man more like this ( this is a rough ( very rough ) sketch I drew up )
dspellman THATS AWESOME, but also ridiculous, yah not quite that much man more like this ( this is a rough ( very rough ) sketch I drew up ) I will probably have a different style pick guard and the six knobs will be three in a row, with another three under it, the three way will be placed near the bottom of the body, one of the toggle switches under the 5-way and another under the three tone knobs
Last edited by fundo19111911 at Jun 16, 2017,
There's nothing you're trying to do that can't be done with a 1 meg pot and some switches.
Also your idea about having different pots and volumes isn't going to work out like you think it will. The volume disparity will mean it's unusable in 90 percent of circumstances

That being said. It's your guitar do whatever you want.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by fundo19111911
BTW, dspellman, that's not youre guitar is it?? I noticed you uploaded to photobucket

It's not. I've got some complicated guitars, but nothing quite like that. Come to think of it, that might actually be a Gibson demonstrator guitar, designed to let you know what the various pickups sound like on a single guitar. Or not. Don't remember.