Hi
After a huge break in playing I wanted to chane strings.

Every time I try to string it up the string falls out of that part on the floyd rose.

I tighten it really hard and it still does it.

help pls
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Which part? The bridge?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
Which part? The bridge?

yep
Fly on, fly on
the string won't stay in the clamps in the bridge?  are you sure there s no obstructions that prevent the clamp from closing far enough. 
Quote by monwobobbo
the string won't stay in the clamps in the bridge?  are you sure there s no obstructions that prevent the clamp from closing far enough. 

Done it. Was a bit stressed out and I did it wrong.

Thanks anyway
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Done it. Was a bit stressed out and I did it wrong.

Thanks anyway

Did you insert the string all the way into the bottom of the space for the string?
Check the little block see if its damaged.
Try a different set of string?

Maybe the screw/part is stripped?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
Did you insert the string all the way into the bottom of the space for the string?
Check the little block see if its damaged.
Try a different set of string?

Maybe the screw/part is stripped?

Done everything correctly. 

I need to just redo the tuning and it'll be ready
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Done everything correctly. 

I need to just redo the tuning and it'll be ready

In the future just be sure to trim enough of the string off on the ball end (all the extra over wrap and fat part) and insert them centered & bottomed out in the holes and hold them like that till they are tightened down nice and snug/tight.  Also be sure there is no leftover debris from the old strings in the holes.  Unless the blocks are worn out they should never slip out on you if the prep work is done properly.  
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 16, 2017,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
just be sure to trim enough of the string off on the ball end 

Not to try and hijack the thread, but out of curiosity, I've seen some FR restringing guides that say to leave the ball end on and use that end at the tuners, anyone have any thoughts on that (haven't actually tried it yet myself)? 
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
Quote by tc1072
Not to try and hijack the thread, but out of curiosity, I've seen some FR restringing guides that say to leave the ball end on and use that end at the tuners, anyone have any thoughts on that (haven't actually tried it yet myself)? 

It works great IMO.  Here's my Schecter that I do that way.  

You can leave them on the tuners, or simply string it like that and clip them like normal. Never made sense why people would clip the ball ends, then clip the excess. Just clip once.

Now I have a problem with tuning it correctly
after leveling I block the bridge with some playing cards, remove a spring and tune it. Afterwards I put the spring on and use the back screws to bring it back to normal but it's not even close to being in tune-even with fine tuners.

What now?
Fly on, fly on
Did you take all the strings off and then put the new strings back on, or did you do one string at a time is always the best option to do, and tune the one new string you put on up too the old strings and then continue with the next string, it's not a smart move to take them all off at once especially if the floyd rose is set up.
Quote by ayreon77
Did you take all the strings off and then put the new strings back on, or did you do one string at a time is always the best option to do, and tune the one new string you put on up too the old strings and then continue with the next string, it's not a smart move to take them all off at once especially if the floyd rose is set up.

I took them all off. I know it was stupid but I simply forgot due to stress of doing something wrong. I didn't think and forgot.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by ayreon77

I used to believe that, but these days I routinely pull all of the strings and even yank the Floyd springs off and pull the Floyd. it's actually easier to put the strings into the Floyd on some guitars that way, and I put all six strings on the Floyd before putting it back into the guitar. Assuming you're using the same brand and gauge strings, it doesn't upset the setup in the least. In fact, I've learned to toss the Floyd itself into an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from time to time to get random dirt and DNA off. I can also wax and (in some cases) oil it up, check it over and make sure it's ready to go before putting the strings on.

I do NOT run the strings into the floyd through the tuners (leaving the ball ends on). No particular reason; I've just never cared to do it, and you really can't if you're removing the Floyd from the guitar.

Once you put the Floyd back in, the action height stays the same (because the posts haven't moved) and the spring tension will be the same (because the claw hasn't moved), and I start bringing the guitar back into tune beginning with the low E string (but not all the way to tension). I usually pull the microtuners out to allow 2/3rds to 3/4 of the travel to compensate for string stretch. The strings will sometimes go a bit sharp immediately after putting the locking nut retainers on, but by and large, my experience is that the strings will generally go flat (even when manually stretched) for a while before settling in. That's why the extra allowance on the microtuners.
Quote by Fryderyczek
I took them all off. I know it was stupid but I simply forgot due to stress of doing something wrong. I didn't think and forgot.

Taking the strings off all at once is not going to do any harm to anything whatsoever. I don't know why people keep perpetuating such nonsense. It is going to make no difference to how the Floyd is set up whatsoever either. Nothing about the way the floyd's setup changes when you take all the string off, so why should it matter? Its just bollocks.

You just need to be more patient. Getting the balance between spring tension and string tension takes time if you're setting the Floyd up from scratch. There is nothing to panic about. Unlock the locking nut (if it isn't already), readjust the fine tuners to their mid point and retune the guitar again with the headstock tuners. You will need to retune the strings and adjust the springs several times over before the bridge reaches equilibrium with the strings all in tune. Once you eventually reach that point, THEN you can tighten the locking nut down and adjust with the fine tuners.

Forget about using a block to stop the bridge from moving back and forth. It isn't nessesary and it seems like it is hindering you more than it is helping you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Taking the strings off all at once is not going to do any harm to anything whatsoever. I don't know why people keep perpetuating such nonsense. It is going to make no difference to how the Floyd is set up whatsoever either. Nothing about the way the floyd's setup changes when you take all the string off, so why should it matter? Its just bollocks.

You just need to be more patient. Getting the balance between spring tension and string tension takes time if you're setting the Floyd up from scratch.  There is nothing to panic about. Unlock the locking nut (if it isn't already), readjust the fine tuners to their mid point and retune the guitar again with the headstock tuners. You will need to retune the strings and adjust the springs several times over before the bridge reaches equilibrium with the strings all in tune. Once you eventually reach that point, THEN you can tighten the locking nut down and adjust with the fine tuners.

Forget about using a block to stop the bridge from moving back and forth. It isn't nessesary and it seems like it is hindering you more than it is helping you.

Thanks very much.

So I should not block it at all? Wouldn't that take even more time?
Fly on, fly on
Done it. Set up fantastically, straight and in tune. Thanks very much to everyone.
Fly on, fly on