Poll: What would you do?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you do?
1. Keep the MIM Strat and purchase a separate metal machine.
10 83%
2. Return the Strat and buy another guitar.
2 17%
3. Do nothing - keep the Strat and carry on.
0 0%
Voters: 12.
Hey everyone,

For quite some time I owned and played a ESP LTD EC-1000 VB and enjoyed it quite a bit with the exception of the active pickups, for no matter what I did I couldn't get that great of a clean tone out of them and I hated fumbling around with the battery. Over the past year, I've been getting into psychedelic music and figured that switching from the LTD to a Strat would be a good move for me.

Essentially what I did was sell my LTD to Sam Ash for $400 and bought a Fender MIM Strat, which is honestly quite the mistake on my part. Not only did I not do my research and realize how much of a downgrade it was, but I also grossly overestimated how much I like psychedelic tunes compared to metal and I really miss the feel of the LTD (thin neck, ebony fretboard etc.)

Currently I have some options which I reflected in the poll. I do enjoy the Strat quite a bit, but I deeply miss the LTD despite my distaste for the active's. The only other guitars I own are terribly cheap, I don't really have much of a guitar collection.

If I do purchase another guitar, I was thinking of the Schecter Blackjack with passives. The type of metal I enjoy most was prog and black metal, with a touch of doom and death here and there.

A thousand thanks to anyone willing to help, please don't scold me too much, I realize I screwed up. Financially, I could probably afford to get another guitar that's around $900 and keep the strat, but I'm unsure if it's worth spending all of that money, I usually live on little cash and tend to save a lot (that's just my nature).

Also I forgot to mention, if I return the Strat I will have to pay a steep shipping cost (possibly close to $80).

Again thanks!
Last edited by nearingix at Jun 17, 2017,
You can pick up a used EC-1000 for $400 - $500 quite regularly.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Just to review:

1. Never sell your guitar to a music store unless you absolutely have to.
  2. Never trade your guitar at a music store unless you absolutely have to (there's really no reason to do this whatsoever).
  3. Do your research.
  4. Know yourself; your own taste in music and your taste in guitars.
  5. Ask for advice *before* you pull some boner mistake, not after.

Don't return the strat (unless you hate the guitar). Buy another guitar that handles the other music you like. There's a reason you wanted to get the Strat and that's likely still there. What you're missing is what you liked about the OTHER guitar. If you have both, you have each covered. My suggestion, however, would be to hunt down a really good used example of the Schecter Blackjack (if that's really what you want) or even something better that will fit in your budget.
You could have easily switched the actives out for passives on your old LTD.  So don't let actives be a setback on choosing your next guitar, especially if you really liked the model you already had.  I'm not a fan of actives either but the option of switching them out is nothing to sweat over.      
I feel like I learned a lot so far from doing this and like metalminge said, I didn't realize that an ESP LTD could be purchased for as little as $400 to $500 (found some excellent condition ones online for around $500 with a case), so in the end, I didn't lose that much on selling it for $400. I like the strat, so I'll be definitely keeping it and I'll be shopping around for another guitar in the meantime.

You were all every helpful! Thanks! I'm making note of all the things that I learned:

1. Don't sell to a retail chain
2. Shop around for used deals online and double check prices
3. Change the pickups/mod the guitar

I've been playing for a number of years, but I'm very new when it comes to different types of guitars, kind of just had the LTD and stuck with it.
Last edited by nearingix at Jun 17, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
Just to review:

1. Never sell your guitar to a music store unless you absolutely have to.
  2. Never trade your guitar at a music store unless you absolutely have to (there's really no reason to do this whatsoever).
  3. Do your research.
  4. Know yourself; your own taste in music and your taste in guitars.
  5. Ask for advice *before* you pull some boner mistake, not after.

Don't return the strat (unless you hate the guitar). Buy another guitar that handles the other music you like. There's a reason you wanted to get the Strat and that's likely still there. What you're missing is what you liked about the OTHER guitar. If you have both, you have each covered. My suggestion, however, would be to hunt down a really good used example of the Schecter Blackjack (if that's really what you want) or even something better that will fit in your budget.

Agree except there being no reason to trade in a guitar (or other gear) to a retail store. While essentially correct they make mistakes every so often. I've scored a couple of killer deals but had to trade in something. I came out ahead. You do have to know what you are doing but it is a good reason.
Quote by monwobobbo
Agree except there being no reason to trade in a guitar (or other gear) to a retail store. While essentially correct they make mistakes every so often. I've scored a couple of killer deals but had to trade in something. I came out ahead. You do have to know what you are doing but it is a good reason.

Exceptions to every rule, I guess.
I should note that holding on to one guitar to add another with different capabilities should probably be taken with a bag of salt as well. I've had to get *very* efficient with space because I've added some silly number of guitars as my tastes have changed/advanced.
Quote by dspellman
I should note that holding on to one guitar to add another with different capabilities should probably be taken with a bag of salt as well. I've had to get *very* efficient with space because I've added some silly number of guitars as my tastes have changed/advanced.

Furniture just gets in the way. Gotta keep priorities straigjt
Quote by monwobobbo
Furniture just gets in the way. Gotta keep priorities straigjt

Last edited by dspellman at Jun 18, 2017,
That ESP would have handled Psychedelic easy.

Me, I would take the hit and return the Strat, sell off the "cheap" guitars mentioned and buy something cool.
If you like your Strat you can keep your Strat.  Just pick out a nice pointy guitar to handle the Metal zone.  Don't like the Strat? Return it and pick out something you do like.  Nobody ever owns just one guitar for long.  It's what we do.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis