I got some money to get a new guitar but I can't decide which so I came to see your opinions.

First one is Schecter C-1 Platinum
-Mahogany body
-3 piece Maple neck
-Ebony fretboard
-Set-neck built
-Made In Korea
-EMG 57/66 pickups

Second one is Ibanez Iron Label RGIR30BFE
-Mahogany body
-3 piece Nitro Wizard Maple and Bubinga neck
-Rosewood fretboard
-Bolt-on built
-Made In Indonesia
-EMG 81/60 pickups

I'm not a shredder, I'm a riff guy so I want big and dark lows and some mids.

I mainly listen Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal, Progressive Metal and Thrash Metal.
My top bands are Slipknot, Killswitch Engage, The Air I Breathe, Burn It To The Ground.
So you have a idea what kinda things I listen and know the sound I want.

I listened a lot of comparison between that two pickups and I really liked the chug sound of 57/66 but my mind keeps telling me that oldschool, vintage, passive characteristic pickup (as far as I know) (you got what I meant to say) is not my thing because as you can see I'm more into modern metal.

Want to see what you guys think. Feel free to give your opinions. Thanks alot. 
Last edited by LynxPredator at Jul 11, 2017,
It's a toss up, I like ebony and set necks and I have a Korean Schecter Damien Elite 7 which is bolt on but it is a great guitar, I have no experience witht the Ibanez Iron Label and have heard that the Indonesian models can be hit or miss, I do however own an Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos made in Indonesia it is a neck thru guitar and is on par easily with any of the 7 MIJ Jacksons in my collection as far as fit/finish, overall build quality, fretwork and genreal playability are concerned.

The Schecter neck will definately be more beefy that the Ibanez so keep that in mind, best bet if you can go to a music store and try to play them both first.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 11, 2017,
I really wish I can go out and try them both but the distrubitors in my city doesn't have those guitars
I actually have a Schecter Omen 6 and I don't have any problems with Schecter, I actually really like my guitar, it's neck and feeling. So I'm familiar with those but I have a friend who has a Ibanez and a Schecter and he says Ibanez is way better so I couldn't decide which made me open this post.
Last edited by LynxPredator at Jul 11, 2017,
Jackson MIJ. 

Or a used Prestige. Want to try one before buying it? Try out a new one in Guitar Center and buy a used one on Ebay.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Jackson MIJ. 

Or a used Prestige. Want to try one before buying it? Try out a new one in Guitar Center and buy a used one on Ebay.

I live in Turkey, there's no Guitar Center and Jackson distrubitor doesn't have that much products, the ones they have are not that good so that's why I didn't consider buying one XD
Quote by LynxPredator
I live in Turkey, there's no Guitar Center and Jackson distrubitor doesn't have that much products, the ones they have are not that good so that's why I didn't consider buying one XD

Fair enough.

I think out of the two you've listed I'd take the Ibanez and swap out the 81/85's for 57/66's. Ebony boards are nice, but I don't like Schecter necks and tend to find that the gloss-finished Schecters to have a sticky gym floor feel to them.

I also ascribe Schecters to one user who claims not to be salty but most definitely is and from that experience what little chance there was of me getting one had totally evaporated.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by LynxPredator
I really wish I can go out and try them both but the distrubitors in my city doesn't have those guitars
I actually have a Schecter Omen 6 and I don't have any problems with Schecter, I actually really like my guitar, it's neck and feeling. So I'm familiar with those but I have a friend who has a Ibanez and a Schecter and he says Ibanez is way better so I couldn't decide which made me open this post.

See if your friend Will let you try his Ibanez so you can judge for yourself.

If not problem solved if you like the Schecter you have then go for the Schecter, set net , ebony board, Korean made you can't go wrong.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 12, 2017,
Okay so let me change the question like that;
Which will give the big and dark lows sound most
81-60 and rosewood or
57-66 and ebony ?
Quote by LynxPredator
Okay so let me change the question like that;
Which will give the big and dark lows sound most
81-60 and rosewood or
57-66 and ebony ?

The fretboard will not be a factor in how big and dark it will sound. as for the EMGs I can't really speak I only have 81/85 sets and have not tried a 60, 66 or 57.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

What kind of amp are you using?  If the amp isn't up to snuff then the pickups won't matter.  

I've never used the 57/66 set but they are normally recommended for those that want a less compressed 81 sound or a more versatile pickup - the volume knob rolloff is supposed to be brilliant.   I personally like the 81 for those types of music - staple in thrash and Jim Root uses it too - but again you have to have an amp to go with it.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I hear the 57 has an alnico 5 magnet and has a slightly "rounder" sound but it's still very clear , lots of people say the feel like passives. I have an 81 in one of my Schecters (basswood, ebony fretboard) it sounds pretty awesome. Perfect for heavy/dark riffing, leads also sound great to me.  They can do thrash,death metal or anything similar. Both guitars sound like good choices and both have the right pickups for what you want. but like metalmingee said, you need an amp to get the most out of those actives. TBH, the Schecter I have loaded with 81/85 doesn't sound as good through my modeling stuff ( guitar rig 5 , bias fx ) it sounds much better through a real high gain tube amp.
metalmingee I'm using Blackstar ID Core 10 which is obviously bad but I don't mind if pickups won't matter with this amp because I'll get a better amp afterwards. And yeah, if I get amp before my sound will be more satisfying but I want to get guitar first because you know it's the part that I feel, that I'm in touch with you know what I mean.
Quote by metalmingee
What kind of amp are you using?  If the amp isn't up to snuff then the pickups won't matter.  

I've never used the 57/66 set but they are normally recommended for those that want a less compressed 81 sound or a more versatile pickup - the volume knob rolloff is supposed to be brilliant.   I personally like the 81 for those types of music - staple in thrash and Jim Root uses it too - but again you have to have an amp to go with it.  

So like I said I really liked the chug sound of 57/66 but I think it's not my thing after your words because I have nothing to do with versatility. I want to go clean so rarely that I remember using the clean channel on my amp like 5 or 6 times since I started playing XD I'm a simple man with high gain so I suppose 81 is my thing. Thank you for info.
Quote by guitarkid8
I would go for 81/60 based on your posts

Yeah those seems suits more to me thanks.
I've had the schecter before, and it's a nice guitar, but soundwise I think it's not what you want. It's got a nice classic rock/ blues rock setup, but I had trouble getting worthwhile metal sounds from it. It was too gritty. A good metal sound should be tighter. Unless you wanted maiden, sabbath style sounds I'd go with the Ibanez for metal.
A schecter's sound, much like with any other electric guitar, depends on its pickups. A friend I once knew had a schector with active pickups, and it had the grimiest most metal tone I've ever heard. The rest of his gear was top tier as well though, so take that as you will.

I'd say an ibanez is a safe bet for what you want, but schectors aren't bad either.
Like someone said. Ibanez but swap for the 57/66. Ibbys are imo better and have a higher resale value if it ever comes to that. I find the 57/66 to be "beefier" 
I would get the ibanez. the iron label is pretty nice for the cash. IMO. I am not a Schecter fan but try not to be biased.

I would take either in to get the frets cleaned up a little bit.

aa far as the pickup debate, honestly people are fussy about some very small differences.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by h8full
Like someone said. Ibanez but swap for the 57/66. Ibbys are imo better and have a higher resale value if it ever comes to that. I find the 57/66 to be "beefier" 

Yeah I think I will go with Ibanez but I won't change the pickups. Instead I'll buy another guitar with 57/66. Thanks.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I would get the ibanez. the iron label is pretty nice for the cash. IMO. I am not a Schecter fan but try not to be biased.

I would take either in to get the frets cleaned up a little bit.

aa far as the pickup debate, honestly people are fussy about some very small differences.

Yeah I will get Ibanez after comments. Thanks.
I have a Schecter C1 with a bolt on neck. Best guitar I've owned, had a thinner neck than the Epiphone Les Paul I had before it without going super thin like some Wizard necks, and they're great value usually. It would mean zero adjustment time going from a Schecter neck to another Schecter neck, but get whatever you want.

As far as the EMG 81/60 combo, Mick Thompson from Slipknot had that on one of his signature guitars, so take that for what its worth.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
I run my Ibanez RGIR20BFE with an EMG 81/60 combo through an EVH 5150 iii head and ENGL cab with V30's generally and absolutely love the sound. I recently picked up my 3rd Ibanez which is another iron label; the RGAIX6U that comes with the Bareknuckle aftermaths and I actually like the sound I get out of it even more.

I agree with comments above, I looked at schecter but coming from my original Ibanez Prestige RG1820X I could not for the life of me find comfort in the thicker neck. I would recommend the Ibanez for sure.
Quote by HardAttack
I have a Schecter C1 with a bolt on neck. Best guitar I've owned, had a thinner neck than the Epiphone Les Paul I had before it without going super thin like some Wizard necks, and they're great value usually. It would mean zero adjustment time going from a Schecter neck to another Schecter neck, but get whatever you want.

As far as the EMG 81/60 combo, Mick Thompson from Slipknot had that on one of his signature guitars, so take that for what its worth.

I will go 81/60 for my style. Thanks.
Quote by cameronjlapp
I run my Ibanez RGIR20BFE with an EMG 81/60 combo through an EVH 5150 iii head and ENGL cab with V30's generally and absolutely love the sound. I recently picked up my 3rd Ibanez which is another iron label; the RGAIX6U that comes with the Bareknuckle aftermaths and I actually like the sound I get out of it even more.

I agree with comments above, I looked at schecter but coming from my original Ibanez Prestige RG1820X I could not for the life of me find comfort in the thicker neck. I would recommend the Ibanez for sure.

Actually when I put my guitar on my right leg it makes going higher frets a bit harder. So Ibanez made me want that thinner neck more. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by LynxPredator
Actually when I put my guitar on my right leg it makes going higher frets a bit harder. So Ibanez made me want that thinner neck more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Try holding the guitar on your left leg sometime, like on a classical guitar. Electric guitars were originally intended to be held that way, and some guitars (V's) make holding the guitar that way mandatory. It makes upper fret access way easier, and it helps facilitate the good habit of holding your thumb against the back of the neck, rather than wrapping your thumb over it. Holding your thumb against the back of the neck makes executing certain more intricate techniques far easier. Such as sweep picking, longer finger stretches, and barre chording.

The reason holding a classical guitar that way became convention is specifically because it makes those techniques easier to play consistently.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Try holding the guitar on your left leg sometime, like on a classical guitar. Electric guitars were originally intended to be held that way, and some guitars (V's) make holding the guitar that way mandatory. It makes upper fret access way easier, and it helps facilitate the good habit of holding your thumb against the back of the neck, rather than wrapping your thumb over it. Holding your thumb against the back of the neck makes executing certain more intricate techniques far easier. Such as sweep picking, longer finger stretches, and barre chording.

The reason holding a classical guitar that way became convention is specifically because it makes those techniques easier to play consistently.

I play on my left leg almost everytime. What I meant is sometimes I grab my guitar and start playing on my right leg without even noticing. BTW thanks for the info.