I DO NOT want brutal death metal sound, I do NOT want distortion pedals, I do NOT want stoner doom metal sound, and I do NOT want a 21st century extemely tight, almost solid state sound (ie. I do not like the sound of active EMGs or a Randall Satan, for example). I'm playing through a Marshall DSL 40C which needs to be overdriven to give the bite required.

Examples of great guitar tone: My Dying Bride Angel and the Dark River/Like Gods of the Sun, Type O Negative, Obituary, some Septic Flesh, some Rotting Christ.

The EVH 5150 fairly easily produces tone I like, but I could not afford one of those at the moment; maybe later.

So far, I feel Maxon is what I want, but I'm open to suggestions. If you have anything to add about an analog unit with tubes inside, please share.
Last edited by todtong at Jul 11, 2017,
look for a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive. they are out of production but still fairly easy to find. will do the job. 
Way Huge Green Rhino.

One of the most versatile tubescreamer type pedals on the market. Get the Mark IV version.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Plus 1 on the Green Rhino. Tons of low end capable of being on tap given its a tube screamer (tho, gets tight as needed too), great sustain. MKIV allows you to more directly dial the midrange.  
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 12, 2017,
Here's one out of left field. Tomsline (or Aroma) Greenizer. It's a TS808 clone with an extra boost switch. It's the cheapest pedal on the market, I got mine for $30 and it's surprisingly good. It's a tiny Mooer sized pedal. Look on ebay.
Alternatively, if you want a clean boost look for their 5 band EQ pedal. Mine cost me $35 and it's a ripper of a pedal. No noise, heaps of boost. Hell for the cost of them, buy both. It will still cost you half of what a Maxon pedal will cost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 13, 2017,
I'm not going to speak to myriad of distinctions you requested,

But I've been fond of the Acapulco Gold, the Midnight Holy Mountain, the Moog MF boost and MF drive.  Also using a boss Bass driver yields pretty nice results on guitar.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
I suppose it depends on the type of doom. Maybe a fuzz will suit your sound better. 

Have a look at the gear used by guitarists in your favourite doom bands to get some ideas.
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
Quote by mechanevil
I suppose it depends on the type of doom. Maybe a fuzz will suit your sound better. 

Have a look at the gear used by guitarists in your favourite doom bands to get some ideas.

With that in mind, perhaps these links will help:
http://equipboard.com/

And:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1709810
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
T00DEEPBLUE
Ultimately, you did us all a service.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Fulltone fd-2 mosfet is my go to. easily found at under $100, OD with a boost with seperate switches
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
An EHX Big Muff on the right settings makes a really nice doomy fuzz when it's pushing a dirt channel on an amp. Especially cool for neck pickup leads.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
Here's another out of left field,tc mojomojo, mostly know as a bluesy o.d.,it really adds a thrashy warmth to my peavey 5150,very underrated.
general advisory:  remember that your overdrive pedal is to push your signal harder into your amp.   if you AMP is not a nice powerful all-tube amp with a little grit on a cranked-up clean channel... your overdrive pedal will probably just act as a fuzz box / distortion unit more than anything. most of the time, the strong, singing lead guitar tone that people cherish is the result of a great-sounding clean tube amp with a proper signal put through it.