I recently acquired a Sunn SL260. As everyone who has ever played a Sunn knows, it's at it's best when it's dimed.

Obviously this is not viable in every situation. I also have an old Crate G212XL. I would like to slave it to the Sunn, so I can crank it but keep the volume of the speakers at a non-noise complaint level.

I've heard of slaving amps through the effects loop, but is it as easy as running a line from the Sunn's effects loop to the Crate's, or is there more to it? The last thing I want to do is damage a Sunn.
Cry yourself to ash
Last edited by Vampire_State at Jul 13, 2017,
well guess it depends on what you actually want to do. you can run the sunn preamp out into the power amp in on the crate but i fail to see what good that will really do. if you are talking about diming the sunn and trying to run the whole amp signal into another then that won't work. 
....the entire point of slaving is to be able to dimer whatever you are using as a pre-amp, or boosting a less powerful amp.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
....the entire point of slaving is to be able to dimer whatever you are using as a pre-amp, or boosting a less powerful amp.

yeah but all you would be doing is diming the preamp of your sunn into the power section of the crate. it will either sound like crap or not any different than the sunn would at that volume anyways. you wouldn't be using the power section of the sunn. 
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah but all you would be doing is diming the preamp of your sunn into the power section of the crate. it will either sound like crap or not any different than the sunn would at that volume anyways. you wouldn't be using the power section of the sunn. 

Yeah, exactly, I want the dimed Sunn pre-amp tone, and be able to control the volume with the Crate's power amp. I don't understand what is hard to grasp about this, this is what slaving is. I need an answer on if it can be done through the effects loops of combo amps without damaging them, i've done it a million times with my Orange head.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
Yeah, exactly, I want the dimed Sunn pre-amp tone, and be able to control the volume with the Crate's power amp. I don't understand what is hard to grasp about this, this is what slaving is. I need an answer on if it can be done through the effects loops of combo amps without damaging them, i've done it a million times with my Orange head.

nothing hard to grasp except maybe you are missing something. all you are doing is putting the preamp signal into a different amp which is no different than just running it into the power section that it already has. both are solid state amps so i see no difference on the results you'd get. if i'm missing something feel free to enlighten me. since the sunn is a solid state amp and all you are doing is running the preamp out into a power amp in then there should be no issue with that in it self. 
You actually have no understanding of what sounding best when dimed actually means.
Or what slaving an amp is for either.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I really should have known better than to ask this question on this site.

FWIW, it works, exactly as I had envisioned, you both need to do some reading and experimenting.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
I really should have known better than to ask this question on this site.

FWIW, it works, exactly as I had envisioned, you both need to do some reading and experimenting.

Of course it does. But the fact that it works doesn't mean it is doing what you say it's doing.

Why wouldn't plugging a preamp into a power amp work. Hmmmm?

I mean you want the dimed preamp tone of an amp known for being a great clean solid state amp...and then instead of using that amps master volume control and power section you want to plug it into a much worse power section.

I mean go for it. Be free buttercup.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 14, 2017,
Quote by Vampire_State

I guess I'm way off.  I've always been under the impression slaving was for the exclusive purpose of utilizing your favorite preamp and "enslaving" other amplifiers power amp sections to gain more volume. 

eg: I have 4 full stacks, but I want to set my preamp tone from amp 1, and then I slave the other three

Your settings, and whether or not you are dimed, are immaterial to slaving.

The antithesis to this is some people do run a higher wattage amplifier (say a 100w head), dime the preamp, and then slave out to a 50, 30, etc watt amp to achieve what you're trying to do.  I think what's confusing is (and correct me if I'm wrong) you're sunn is 60W and you wan't to slave a 120W power section on the other amp -  it's illogical.

If you say it works cool - then what you're trying to do and did is different than what you are communicating.  There is no sense in getting frustrated with people when all they are doing is voicing an opinion and providing a suggestion based on sentences that they read.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
I don't think any of you are getting that the point was to be able to dime the pre-amp and control the power amp's volume, and I simply asked if the effects loop trick actually worked, which in this particular case, it does.
Quote by Badluckpalms
I guess I'm way off.  I've always been under the impression slaving was for the exclusive purpose of utilizing your favorite preamp and "enslaving" other amplifiers power amp sections to gain more volume. 

eg: I have 4 full stacks, but I want to set my preamp tone from amp 1, and then I slave the other three

Your settings, and whether or not you are dimed, are immaterial to slaving.

The antithesis to this is some people do run a higher wattage amplifier (say a 100w head), dime the preamp, and then slave out to a 50, 30, etc watt amp to achieve what you're trying to do.  I think what's confusing is (and correct me if I'm wrong) you're sunn is 60W and you wan't to slave a 120W power section on the other amp -  it's illogical.

If you say it works cool - then what you're trying to do and did is different than what you are communicating.  There is no sense in getting frustrated with people when all they are doing is voicing an opinion and providing a suggestion based on sentences that they read.

I'll keep this in mind since I have no idea what i'm doing, I just used to run a 4x12 and two 1x15's off one Earth G-2000 head, and none of you could answer "will slaving two combo amps fry one of them".
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
I don't think any of you are getting that the point was to be able to dime the pre-amp and control the power amp's volume, and I simply asked if the effects loop trick actually worked, which in this particular case, it does.

I'll keep this in mind since I have no idea what i'm doing, I just used to run a 4x12 and two 1x15's off one Earth G-2000 head, and none of you could answer "will slaving two combo amps fry one of them".

and you're not getting it as the end results will be the same.  dude you are running a line out signal from a fx loop into a line in for an fx loop there is no difference in terms of signals as far as the amps are concerned. so no it won't fry anything. the thing is you also are doing nothing different in terms of sound. i looked at the control setup of your sunn and it has a master volume. you can crank up the volume and gain in the preamp and then control that with your master. this is basicaly what you are doing by running the pre into the other amp. when most talk about " slaving" they are putting a low powered amp that is cranked up (say like a Fender Champ) and has the total signal (preamp and power amp) brought down to a line level and run into a power amp or power amp section of a seperate amp. Ace Frehely used this in hsi Kiss days. 
There's something I don't understand.  If an amp sounds better at high volume, that's because of something related to that specific power amp, right? How can you achieve the same result if you take that specific power amp out of the equation by plugging it into an entirely different power amp?
Quote by flexiblemile
There's something I don't understand.  If an amp sounds better at high volume, that's because of something related to that specific power amp, right? How can you achieve the same result if you take that specific power amp out of the equation by plugging it into an entirely different power amp?

Don't worry none of use understand either. It's a mystery.
Quote by Vampire_State
I recently acquired a Sunn SL260. As everyone who has ever played a Sunn knows, it's at it's best when it's dimed.

Obviously this is not viable in every situation. I also have an old Crate G212XL. I would like to slave it to the Sunn, so I can crank it but keep the volume of the speakers at a non-noise complaint level.

You keep using this word.... I don't think...

One, not everyone agrees that a Sunn SL260 is "at it's best when it's dimed." It's a transistor amp, and while that statement might have applied to the old tube amps, there's nothing special about the 260 that makes it better loud. Second, you're working with a transistor preamp, which doesn't do anything special when maxed. So I have no idea wtf you're talking about. Two, running the preamp into another transistor section isn't going to do much for you if pushing the Sunn preamp section while making things quieter is your goal.

I just used to run a 4x12 and two 1x15's off one Earth G-2000 head

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. As I recall, that's an old (and sorta rare) tube amp head from the mid '70's, right? What does running a pair of speaker cabinets off one of them have to do with running one preamp through a different power amp?