Mesa recto 699$
Is the Mesa worth spending 2x as much?
For my Marshall jcm800 head playing Thrash metal and classic rock
What about a used Mesa? You have the $ after the number, are you in the US to be naming Avatar?

The Avatar is a clone of the Orange cab I believe.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Probably not much difference in construction quality, the Avatar looks like it's built like a tank. Compared to the Mesa, couple things you won't get: the quick lock casters or UK made Vintage 30 speakers (not sure if that's even worth mentioning any more).

Avatar doesn't have the same overhead that store bought brands would have. Gotta remember that the retailer is taking a huge cut of every sale. Not to mention different advertising costs.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
After you can afford cabs with thick plywood cabinets with the same dimensions and speakers in them, you're paying for the name.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Yea I was kinda leaning towards the avatar does anyone have experience with them? Just want extra reassurance before I go ahead and buy don't wanna regret not buying the Mesa
I'd take the Mesa. They felt more solid the. The avatars I used to have.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
I'd take the Mesa. They felt more solid the. The avatars I used to have.

The one he's looking at seems to be made just as sturdy, 3/4" 13 ply baltic birch and heavier than the mesa 2x12. And since it's free shipping right now...

There's definitely nothing wrong with that Avatar. By the looks of it, it's just a stock contemporary without any cosmetic choices. Probably that cheap just because they can just make a bunch of them at a time, just economy of scale. And not having the slip cover included either :P

Guess it also comes down to shortcake's local used scene. Could they be patient to snag a deal on a "better" (bigger more like it) badge? Here in Atlantic Canada, 212's sell very quick. If I didn't already own enough cabs, I'd be tempted to get one of those shipped to my 'mailbox' in Maine :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Where are you located in the states? I was just about to put one of my Recto 2x12 horizontal cabs up for sale.
Guitars
-Strandberg OS6
- Strandberg CL7
- Gibson LP Studio Premium Plus
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Warmoth Partscaster

Amps/FX
- Mesa Boogie TC-50
- Mesa Boogie Mark Five:25
- Vypyr 60
- Fractal FX8
- Strymon Big Three

Well crap. I'm in AZ.
Guitars
-Strandberg OS6
- Strandberg CL7
- Gibson LP Studio Premium Plus
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Warmoth Partscaster

Amps/FX
- Mesa Boogie TC-50
- Mesa Boogie Mark Five:25
- Vypyr 60
- Fractal FX8
- Strymon Big Three

the mesas use proprietary speakers, I think- their V30s are a bit different from the regular off-the-shelf ones. So if you know you like them, it might be worth it, kind of thing.

However, do you want v30s for classic rock and thrash? a lot of this is opinion and you may love v30s for those tones, but personally I'd prefer something else
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
I ended up ordering the Avatar g212 budget contemporary for $350. I still need a laptop for recording so I figured I'd use the extra cash on that.
^sshortcake90

I came here to recommend the Avatar. I see you've already done that. $350 is a great price and pretty much what I paid 8 or 9 years ago. I got a closed back Traditional 212 with British made Celestion speakers. Dave (owner) is great to work with as well. He helped make speaker suggestions and provided other feedback. He kept me abreast of my order and it shipped within 2 weeks. The Birch plywood cab meets the specs mentioned above. The tolex, workmanship, fit and finish were pretty much flawless from what I could tell. It was a bitch to get the back off (17 screws) but I did to snap the pic below. Not a cheap crappy cab. I sold it to fund a Splawn 212 cab with is quite a bit better but also more costly.

If money was no object and you were into matching things like my OCD self I would get the Mesa. It is probably slightly better quality. But you can't pick your speakers and you can't talk to the owner/builder. Not sure it is worth twice the cost. I do own a Mesa 4x12 Traditional Slant cab now but I bought it used. I paid $450. Killer cabinet no doubt.

One more thing on the Avatar, is they have their rebranded Hellatone speakers. Those are Celestion speakers with an Avatar lable and they are pre-broken in. Wouldn't hurt to inquire about those either if you have not already. Also keep in mind that new speakers will sound a bit harsh/stiff at first until you get a good 20 hours on them to break in dem cones.

Quote by metalmingee
What about a used Mesa? You have the $ after the number, are you in the US to be naming Avatar?

The Avatar is a clone of the Orange cab I believe.

They have several variations that are similar to different brands, so I wouldn't just blindly say they are clones of Orange. Just sayin. Check em out tho

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 16, 2017,
311ZOSOVHJH agree! But OP listed the Contemporary specifically.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
i see what you are saying now.

Fair enough.

FYI - the Orange PPC212, Avatar Contemporary 212, Avatar Tradional 212, etc are all 13 ply Baltic Birch. Pretty much the same construction. Contemporary (and Orange PPC) look stronger due to the extra wood around the front frame but that's it.
T00DEEPBLUE and speakers, kind of. I mean, I really like the Black Shadow (C90) that Mesas have. But here across the pond there is no way I'm gonna pay the difference. Just to demonstrate, a Lonestar cab with my desired speakers is 998€ on Thomann. Yeeeaaaah, nope
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I have a g12k-100 I'll probably throw in there with the vintage 30 and see how that sounds. Also I requested black grill cloth instead of wheat so we'll see if they can accommodate that. Maybe I'll post pics and a vid when I get it.