I've mainly only focused on upgrading and having nice guitars but have neglected a good amp for so long. I have a line 6 spider iv 15 watt that honestly is okay for just playing in my room, but I intend to record and ultimately get a good tone out of my guitar. I have a fender strat as well as a gibson sg faded that I just feel are not getting to shine through this line6

I'm mainly trying to buy used through craigslist, offerup and even used GC stuff so I'm just really trying to see what I should look for. I don't know much about amps. One amp that I've tried recently is orange micro dark mini stack which was a pretty cool amp.

Anything with a nice jazzy tone to some OD and effects is what I'm looking for. No intention to gig with the amp I get. Just an upgrade from my line 6 for my room and I would have intent to use it to record (probably through an sm58)
denik12 I know I could have used the search bar so to be a little more specific i like orange amps quite a bit but i am open to any suggestion
Quote by denik12
I've mainly only focused on upgrading and having nice guitars but have neglected a good amp for so long. I have a line 6 spider iv 15 watt that honestly is okay for just playing in my room, but I intend to record and ultimately get a good tone out of my guitar. I have a fender strat as well as a gibson sg faded that I just feel are not getting to shine through this line6

I'm mainly trying to buy used through craigslist, offerup and even used GC stuff so I'm just really trying to see what I should look for. I don't know much about amps. One amp that I've tried recently is orange micro dark mini stack which was a pretty cool amp.

Anything with a nice jazzy tone to some OD and effects is what I'm looking for. No intention to gig with the amp I get. Just an upgrade from my line 6 for my room and I would have intent to use it to record (probably through an sm58)

So what is your budget? Off the wall, I would suggest finding one of Fender's proper tube amps USED and grab a pedal or two. The Blues Jr. is the most obvious recommendation. Grab something like the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and a delay/reverb and you will have a professional level rig that will last you years and be inspiring for you. If you were thinking on the cheaper, modeling end of things, look into the Boss Katana series. Other options include used MKI Peavey ValveKing and Jet City models, and the Peavey Classic 30.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 16, 2017,
Quote by denik12
Will Lane I'd say about 400 or so in my budget

You can find Blues Jr.'s all day long in that range. GC lists them around $350, if you scan your local craiglist you might could find one for cheaper. It does not come with much effects wise (only reverb) so delay and whatever else you may need will need to be considered. Its drive tones are fine but a midrange-focused pedal like the FD2 will do you good. Ultimately I think it might would be a better investment over time to use outboard effects rather than try to get an all-in-one unit.

The Orange Micro amps are solid little units, but they do lack a lot of functionality- and you would likely need to buy a separate loaded 12'' speaker cab to get proper bass response, compared to the tiny 8'' cabinet it comes with.
Will Lane Thanks, my local GC has one in stock so I'll try the Blues Jr out. I do enjoy delay and echo effects from time to time but I figure I can just buy some pedals for that.
Peavey Delta Blues, Carvin Vintage 16, Quilter 101 head (plus cab). You might find a Fender HRD.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tony Done
I only play at home these days, and have gone clean plus pedals. I have two good tube amps, but I really wonder if solid state isn't now just as good an option. Maybe someone can comment

High end SS modelers are worth your money. But a solid tube amp is a fraction of the cost of those kind of modelers. I would suggest to stay away from standalone SS amps unless needed for niche roles or practice. Amps like the JC-120 and Quilter units can be an exception, although drive tones can be a rough spot for SS equipments depending upon the amp. Getting driven SS components to sound like driven tube components is not an easy task- getting modeling algorithms to sound like driven tube components is (arguably) an accomplished goal.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 16, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
Will Lane

I suppose that modelling has come a long way since I last looks at digital FX, but I was thinking in terms of using SS as clean only, something like a JC, with pedals in front. I guess that creates its own compatibility problems though, I've no experience. 

Typically SS amps do cleans okay. Not bad, but not inspiring. The issue is with drive sounds. And if the SS amp, when driven, sounds like awful, likely it will sound like awful even with pedals in front.
Simple tube amp with pedals for the win. I have a Carvin V16 and 8 pedals for various things in front of it. Solid state and modeling amps when hit with too hot a signal like sometimes you get from pedals overdrive in a very unpleasant way. Tubes will offer a bit of warm drive to your sound. Plus you get the fun of getting a pedal here and there to change and modify your sound. 
Quote by Tony Done
I only play at home these days, and have gone clean plus pedals. I have two good tube amps, but I really wonder if solid state isn't now just as good an option. Maybe someone can comment

The Quilter I mentioned is solid state, like the whole of their line. They're not modelers, though. Probably in part because they aren't modelers, they take pedals very well. Their cleans will compete with most amps for quality.

I've got my eye on 3: the Mach 2, the Aviator, and the 101. The Aviator is probably the most "Fendery"; the 101 is on my radar because of its headphone jack, and the Mach 2 was recommended to me by Mr. Quilter himself as their most flexible model. I've seen demos ot that one against Marshall JCM 800s and other amps common on the hard rock spectrum.

That isn't to say they're indistinguishable from or better than those amps, because they aren't. But they're definitely reasonable substitutes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Quilter I mentioned is solid state, like the whole of their line. They're not modelers, though. Probably in part because they aren't modelers, they take pedals very well. Their cleans will compete with most amps for quality.

I've got my eye on 3: the Mach 2, the Aviator, and the 101. The Aviator is probably the most "Fendery"; the 101 is on my radar because of its headphone jack, and the Mach 2 was recommended to me by Mr. Quilter himself as their most flexible model. I've seen demos ot that one against Marshall JCM 800s and other amps common on the hard rock spectrum.

That isn't to say they're indistinguishable from or better than those amps, because they aren't. But they're definitely reasonable substitutes.

I'm a big fan of solid state done right. Those quilters hit the spot. I got to try a couple and they were sweet. Can't remember the models I tried, but you can't go wrong with them.

I want to get one to pair with my CR120 eventually. I love that amp, but sometimes need a different sound, or at least a broader spectrum. The CR is rather dark and I feel the quilters would compliment it.