Page 1 of 3
Hi guys! I need to buy my first electric guitar! Please help! I have played electric guitar before and I need to find a good guitar for £500($660ish)...I like to play muse, my chemical romance songs and occasionally a bit of oasis....Hope you can help me! Thank you for your time!
Last edited by J4Y8R at Aug 1, 2017,
£500 gets you a very decent guitar to be honest, especially if you're willing to go used. I take it you're UK? Brands available differ quite a bit between countries. Is that including the amp budget?

It's just about possible to nab a used Edwards in that price range if it doesn't need to cover an amp, and a good one competes with the mid range Gibsons - only catch is that they're scarce. That would be my top pick if possible. Same goes for Tokai.

It sounds like you could do with humbucking pickups and something with a thick, versatile tone. An Epiphone Les Paul would do quite nicely; they are extremely good value-for-money on the used market, at about £150 in the UK - or ~£350 new - far from your budget, but to be honest you can't improve much from a good Epi LP within £500 - a used Epi would hold its value as-well, if you choose to sell and upgrade later. Either way, it leaves you enough for an amp and any other stuff you might want which is just as important - strings, picks, amp, cables, metronome, books, etc.

Most guitars will suit those kinda bands, Fender/Squier and PRS not so much though because of the thick distortion you want for Muse and MCR. The Epi Les Paul is a good value and quality "swiss army knife" of a guitar, but there's a lot of other guitars that'd work too.

I would recommend a fixed bridge ("solid tail") rather than tremolo - less hassle for you, and it would allow you to change tuning more easily if you get into a different band that doesn't use E standard.

You'd be best to go into a guitar shop and play a few and see what you like. On one hand, you have the metal oriented stuff like Schecter and Ibanez, with thin necks and big frets meant for fast riffing, and on the other you have more traditional guitars like Epiphone and Yamaha with bigger necks and thinner frets. I can't advise one over the other - that's for you to find what plays most comfortably.
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Aug 1, 2017,
Thanks a lot! I am currently in the UK but I work in Malaysia so I assume that would effect the type of guitars I can get haha..is it worth buying them in the UK or should I wait until I get back over there?...my budget is not including amp budget..would an epiphone Les Paul play oasis?..where is the best place to buy used guitars?
Last edited by J4Y8R at Aug 2, 2017,
dragonzrmetal I saw the Tokai UALC60 and the ULS55. Do you think the Tokai ULS55 would be good enough? I'm scared with a Les Paul type guitar I won't be able to reach the higher frets easily for playing songs such as plug in baby? Do you prefer Tokai Les Pauls or epiphone Les Pauls? Tokai ULS55 Vs Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, which would you choose?
Cant go wrong with an Epiphone LP, or you could get a used MIM Fender with HSS configuration. You amp? I played for a few months without one when I started so its not a deal breaker if you don't have one.
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by J4Y8R
dragonzrmetal I saw the Tokai UALC60 and the ULS55. Do you think the Tokai ULS55 would be good enough? I'm scared with a Les Paul type guitar I won't be able to reach the higher frets easily for playing songs such as plug in baby? Do you prefer Tokai Les Pauls or epiphone Les Pauls? Tokai ULS55 Vs Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, which would you choose?

those are cheaper, non-japanese-made tokais, unfortunately. I'm not sure I'd take one over an epiphone, to be honest (and I'm a tokai fanboy, i really rate the japanese ones). i don't have much experience with them, but vintage in the UK might be worth a look too, they might be a little cheaper than epiphone with similar specs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
those are cheaper, non-japanese-made tokais, unfortunately. I'm not sure I'd take one over an epiphone, to be honest (and I'm a tokai fanboy, i really rate the japanese ones). i don't have much experience with them, but vintage in the UK might be worth a look too, they might be a little cheaper than epiphone with similar specs.

From what I've seen of the Vintage guitars - not that many stores near me seem to carry them - they're generally pretty good; certainly comparable to Epiphone in terms of fit and finish quality, and - had 20 year old me not been a brand snob, I might well have bought one instead of my Epi.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
UK is probably a better place to buy than Malaysia, we have a bit of a bigger range.

Brilliant if you have a separate amp budget. Yeah, a Les Paul will play Oasis. The sound is close enough. It's not a semi-hollow body, but a semi-hollow body like Noel Gallagher's wouldn't be versatile enough for the other stuff you want to play.

I'd probably go for the Tokai over the Epiphone. You get a bone nut standard, and it's alder bodied, meaning it will sound brighter than the Epiphone, which is a good thing for Oasis, which requires quite a light crunchy sound. Admittedly, I thought the ULS was a Japanese made, because "LS" usually denotes the Japanese models, but Dave surely knows better than I do to say it's Chinese made - the new serials confuse me. The Epiphone is Chinese made also.

Regarding the Edwards you saw online, I imagine that would be the best of any of these guitars, and it's the only one with Seymour Duncan pickups, a JB and '59, which are very good. In terms of sound it will be brighter than the Epiphone because it uses a lighter mahogany, but darker than the alder bodied Tokai. The price you gave me for it is £200 less than the retail price in Japan. There's no need to spend that much though, at the upper price range there isn't a whole lot of difference between guitars. A Tokai or an Edwards would keep you going for a while.

Yeah, upper fret access on the Les Paul isn't the best. I just tried to play that song on my Epiphone. It's okay, but not as easy as it could be. The Edwards has better upper fret access than the Tokai or Epiphone because the horn is further away from the neck, and starts at a higher fret - a bit hard to explain, you can easily see in pictures. It might have a thinner neck too, not sure on that detail though.

Depending on how important upper fret access is to you, Ibanez and Schecter are good for it, but I can't really advise you on those because I have little experience. The Ibanez S771 is all I've played, which was nice, but needed better pickups really.

Again, it really comes down to that all these guitars being mentioned are pretty good, the deciding factor might as-well be if you can get to a shop and play some to see what you like best.
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Aug 2, 2017,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
From what I've seen of the Vintage guitars - not that many stores near me seem to carry them - they're generally pretty good; certainly comparable to Epiphone in terms of fit and finish quality, and - had 20 year old me not been a brand snob, I might well have bought one instead of my Epi.

Vintage is actually really good. I have their SG copy ( vs6) and it is way better than the epiphone model. Actually if you are worried about upper fret access then an SG style guitar could be the ticket
dragonzrmetal I can't really find any Edwards guitars online....could you link me some websites where they sell Edwards for sub 500 plz and any other guitars you think would be good.....thanks ....I live in a rural area so it would be a pain to get to any music stores :/ at least 1 and a half hours away for a decent one.....the disadvantages of living in Wales lol XD
Yeah, they're hard to find, which is the main problem. Wales seems nice, and I just bought a guitar from there actually. Anyway, these two were the only ones I could find that will post and that seem to fit the bill. There aren't currently any for sale on Reverb in the UK or Malaysia, but it's worth keeping an eye on there, as-well as your local listings and Gumtree.

This one is ideal and has excellent upper fret access. Under £500 is a push, but you might get it off him for that. It's kinda overpriced as is, used price in Japan is about £400, but of course you'd have to add shipping and imports, so it's not too far off:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP-EDWARDS-E-PO-108PR-Potbelly-/253029785309?hash=item3ae9c01edd:g:5B8AAOSwbiFZXSpl

I think you could probably get this for under £500. Upper fret access is no better than an Epiphone or Tokai Les Paul though, and the P90 pickups would be a bit of a weird choice for heavy rock, although I think they'd be fine for MCR, Oasis and Muse. At the end of the day it's still an Edwards, and I'd take it over a used Gibson Studio, LPJ, Junior, etcetera. It's about as good a Les Paul copy as you're going to find at this price.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edwards-Les-Paul-Special-Japan-Gibson-pickups-Pigtail-Intonable-Bridge-/192257124695?hash=item2cc36ae957:g:NdEAAOSwIcdZdjfb

There's lots of Edwards available to ship directly from Japan, by Ishibashi Music etcetera, and it might be cheaper directly to Malaysia due to closer proximity, but you have to deal with all the hassle of import fees and the risks of damage/loss. :/
dragonzrmetal Thanks, well if you could keep an eye out of me too that would be great haha...yeah I guess Wales is a peaceful place lol....I'm hoping I'll get these guitars for under £500 because I'm on a tight budget as it is haha....I wouldn't trust Malaysian mail at all haha....
Hey, if you can bump your budget a bit when you get around to amp time...

Take a look at Ceriatone when you get back home. They're some of the best tube amps available; they're mostly clones of existing amps (Marshall, Dumble, HiWatt, etc.), available as kits or as hand-wired finished products. They show up here in LA all the time, and their owners rave about them.

http://www.ceriatone.com/

CeriaTone Amplification
14-1, 1st Floor
Jalan Cempaka SD 12/2,
Bandar Sri Damansara
52200 Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia
J4Y8R Yeah sure, I'll keep an eye out for you and link here if any more comes up at the right price.

dspellman 
Christ, those are expensive.... The kit thing is interesting, but I wouldn't trust my soldering skills not to screw up and earth a big capacitor to myself or something...
dragonzrmetal what amp would you get for £200? Do you think I should buy an orange crush 35rt or get a more expensive guitar and wait until December and maybe spend another £400-500 on an amp?
J4Y8R Personally I'm really fond of Hughes and Kettner, and they have the right sort of crunchy, not too over-the-top sound for the type of music you mentioned. You could afford a "Kettner Edition 30W", which sounds nice, and the clean channel is a lot nicer than my Peavey.

There's also a few Vox amps in your budget, which are also good for that sort of sound, but I don't really have enough experience with them to be recommending one to you.

I expect Marshall might have something for you, but I'm not familiar with all their models.

I'd probably stay away from Orange and Blackstar, I don't think they have the right kind of crunch for the music you want to play. Orange amps tend to be quite dark, and you want a kinda brighter sound than that for Oasis. The distortion is quite loose which makes them popular for stoner rock and doom, but I don't think tight enough for the rock bands you mentioned. If you like the sound of them though, like that crush 35rt, fair enough - trust your ears, as you're looking for your own sound, not my opinion of what your sound should be.

As for Fender, the distortion isn't really tight enough for stuff like Muse and MCR. It could be done, but generally you'd need a separate distortion pedal / boost, so not ideal.

Jet City is worth looking at. They cover all the sounds you might need. I don't like them myself because I think they're a bit sterile sounding, but in-case you might like them, you can get the 20W 1x12 Soldano for about £200.

So I've no problem vouching for Hughes & Kettner, I think they'd be ideal, but otherwise you're best to take someone else's opinion on amps as I haven't enough experience.
dragonzrmetal oh, I forgot to mention, the amp had to be loud enough for gigging.... thanks ...what Peavy amp have you got? Is it good enough for gigging? How much was it?
J4Y8R Oh, that switches things up a bit. If you want to gig with the amp, it might well be worth waiting to save up a bigger budget. You can mic up any amp, but you might be better off with something with at-least 30 watts to get good clarity at high volumes, and, well, so it sounds nicer. I'm not sure what amp for gigging I could recommend at £200. Depends on the size of gigs you want to do. Small gigs the Kettner I mentioned could probably handle, but it's not ideal.
dragonzrmetal I'm looking at probably medium size or pub gigs...maybe some stuff in college hall too..... could you maybe recommend a gigging amp for £500 that I could get on finance? Maybe I could use the fender champion 100 amp for gigging? It's 100watts and only £250! (I could buy a distortion pedal later then)
dspellman 
Christ, those are expensive.... The kit thing is interesting, but I wouldn't trust my soldering skills not to screw up and earth a big capacitor to myself or something...

They're generally much less than the "real thing" and (since in some cases the "real thing" isn't available new or at all), they're new. What's a Dumble worth these days?

As for the "kits" -- getting zapped by a capacitor isn't an issue if the thing has never been charged (powered up). I built a JTM-45 kit (from Metropoulis) over a weekend, and I'd never done one before. I just followed instructions and photos. The experienced hand-wire folks do this in a couple of hours, so I felt seriously inadequate. In the end, it was done (and correctly), much to my astonishment, and it powered on and made the right noises and none of the wrong ones.
J4Y8R what about a  

[h]Fender Classic Player '60s Stratocaster[/h]

or a Fender Deluxe Strat, both have a nice bridge and pickups and the latter has adjustment of the thrussrod in the head which is nice, and both are perfect to upgrade. If you like to jam on the couch, you will find a strat confortable because the jack enters on top of the body. Good luck.
I'm the resident non-UK based fan of the U.K. brand, Fret-King. I buy the occasional one here in the USA when I can find a good deal on them, which isn't very often- 3 so far.

Prices can vary, of course, but I'd expect them to be better in the U.K. Used prices would be even better.

Here's one of their guitars with pretty decent P90s, good upper-fret access, and right around your price. There were also hardtail versions with a trio of P90s or with a pair of humbuckers. Other products in their line include those based on Strats, Telecasters and Les Pauls.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRET-King-FKV73PCA-Black-Label-Esprit-III-Electric-Guitar-Candy-Apple-Red-/201900191826?epid=655622588&hash=item2f02307052:g:wdIAAOxybetR8nr9
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by J4Y8R
Dave_Mc okay thanks I've heard the ibanez roadcore rc520 is pretty good, would you agree with this?

I've never tried one, unfortunately. I don't think I've really tried any of the Ibanezes outside of the superstrat-style ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd get an Epiphone Les Paul standard plus top or whatever the model is called. I'd also probably look at some combo amp that has the effects I'm interested in already installed so that I can save a little on pedals.
If I had that budget I'd consider everything except Epiphone. The quality just isn't great. I had a SG-400 which has equivalent quality of the LP Standard and it just didn't felt really high quality; another issue with all Epis in general is the fact the electronics are really bad, a new jack, switch, pots and wiring replacement is a must if you plan on keeping it. Overall, if you don't mind spending extra to get those replaced you can get a decent guitar, but still things like the wood, finish and overall assembly aren't exactly premium.

Why don't you look for a PRS Singlecut or maybe an LTD EC-1000? They offer a lot better quality and value, plus you can surely get one used under your budget.
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
For about 500 pounds in the UK, you can look at some of the guitars here. 
https://www.andertons.co.uk/c/1/electric-guitars?p=1&q=1&v=0&me=_Price-Range&f=Price-Range:300-500&x=Price-Range

And this one from their used section which will be better than most of those guitars, imho, but might not be what you're looking for. 
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SH-198-2141/second-hand/second-hand-ibanez-prestige-rg2610z-black-inc-hardcase
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
dannyalcatraz everyone seems to think epi les pauls are decent apart from this one guy....should I go an but an epi les paul custom pro or not?
Quote by J4Y8R
dannyalcatraz everyone seems to think epi les pauls are decent apart from this one guy....should I go an but an epi les paul custom pro or not?

My take on Epiphones is this: I will probably never buy one, but it isn't because of quality. For me, it is more about particular features and/or aesthetics I find on other guitars that will likely keep me from purchasing an Epi. Bottom line: They're decent guitars, made well enough for professional work. They're not always the best value for money, but they're definitely worth looking at. Honestly, the only reason I don't recommend them more often than I do is that others usually beat me to it.

I've got buddies with Dots & other semihollows, and I've seen young pro guitarists use them. Two of Gary Clark, Jr.'s first three Epiphones were stock models he bought in his hometown of Austin,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Let this one guy go further in his opinion: I don't think Epiphone lacks quality because the particular model I got to own was bad, neither I'm saying that the not so good quality does affect playability nor that by "not great quality" I mean bad.

The model I owned was the top of the line of the Epiphone SGs after the Pro model (which is the same thing but with different pickups and cool taping feature), without counting limited/custom editions and signature models - so it's not like I'm complaining about lack of quality of the cheapest model. It was a perfectly functional and playable instrument so of course the "lack of quality" I referred wasn't regarding how well the instrument feels and plays, rather the quality of the materials used and both the quality and the craftsmanship put on its manufacturing.

You see, in order to Epiphone produce affordable instruments while Gibson, producing similar ones, doesn't, some expenses have to be cut. The wood used for the body, for example, instead of being a more expensive solid piece, is usually a bunch of smaller pieces then glued together, making the material cheaper. On an LP, instead of a nice, solid and durable maple top, you'll get instead a cheaper wood top covered with a maple veneer which does look pretty much as good, but not nearly as durable. The electronics, too, are of way less quality than other instruments and prone to fail (mine had the jack replaced and the switch already malfunctioning; it's a common issue with many used Epis).

Then, if you take a closer look to details such as the trapezoid inlays or the binding, you'll notice they aren't as precisely built as on an higher end guitar - you'll notice, for example, a nice gap in between the inlay and the fretboard cut, filled with wood filler.

Well, we can all agree any of these affect playability, right? Well, the plastic nut that comes in most Epis isn't great (starting by the fact it's made of plastic, but also because it's usually poorly cut) requiring later replacement - even one of the dearest yet decent LTDs of the same style such as the EC-256 will offer much nicer quality nuts. They'll most likely need a setup even brand new, usually with uneven frets - speaking of which, the quality will also affect your wallet in the long term. While unless you get yourself a guitar with stainless steel frets your frets will inevitably wear out, poorer quality ones will be less denser, therefore using more of cheaper metals in their composition and also being easier to cut and crown during manufacture, will also wear out quicker.

My final point is - Epiphones are nice, perfectly playable and respectable guitars. In many cases, used ones sell for unbeatable prices. However, keep in mind they're meant to be purposely lower quality than Gibson to appeal to a different market and not to cannibalise Gibson's segment. On the other hand, brands like PRS and ESP/LTD directly compete against Gibson. If, for the same price, I has to chose between a brand new Epiphone or an used PRS SE/ LTD I'd go with the latter option. The quality is just nicer and that not only feels when you play the instrument, but will also equal on how well will it retain its value, its lifespan and how much servicing will it have to go through. That's why my not even 5 year-old budget Squier I bought new is close to require major servicing, the SG I bought used, 6 years old, didn't stayed a month in my house, while the 10 year-old MIJ Jackson I bought used is in almost mint condition, all stock.
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
For that price range I would get a decent epiphone les paul (like how others have posted) . I wasn't too fond of les pauls when first starting out until I came across a les paul standard for cheap at a local shop. The first minute I played it I was sold and it was the best money I ever spent on guitar equipment (was a huge fender fan before that, been playing 10 years.)
Last edited by The_Crank3 at Aug 5, 2017,
Either a HSS Strat for pure pickup variety or (as a recent convert) a used PRS SE Zach Myers if you want a Les Paul style can be had for £400-500. The semi-hollow of the PRS might add a bit of oomph to Oasis but still does heavy if you want it
J4Y8R I bought mine off a Facebook group . Can't get the link to share for some reason but search for UK GUITAR AMP GEAR EXCHANGE. It's sometimes a waiting game for the right one to come up but if you looking the group from a pc (or desktop view from mobile) you can search for all PRSs listed on there
Page 1 of 3