I'm in a bit of a dilemma with my guitar tone. I hear a lot of bands and people doing covers on youtube that get a really thick and chunky palm muting tone. I always get this sort of "blump". The only effect pedal I have is a disdortion pedal. I tried changing around all my knobs but noting seems to work. I still get this "blump" instead of a thick and heavy chug like the band in this video:
I know these bands have full pedalboards that help them get whatever tone they want... All I have on the other hand is a disdortion pedal and I think thats the problem. I've heard a lot about it being in your technique, but in my case, I think it's lack of effects... So my question is, what effect/effects would I need to make that thick and chunky "chug" like the band in that video has??
To get a good chugging sound on palm mute, you need to look at the following: 

Distortion on the amp/pedal > Right hand technique > Pickups 

You do not need a lot of gear, or even expensive gear to get that sound. So first we need to know what you're working with. What guitar through what distortion pedal into what amp?

As far as technique, if you're not muting the strings correctly, no amount of distortion is going to get you the right sound. Try slowly moving the palm of your hand side to side over the bridge as you palm mute. As you get closer to the pickups, the more muted the note will be, as the further away your palm is muting the strings less and less. You need to strike the correct balance in order to get the right chuggy sound.
Last edited by ExDementia at Aug 5, 2017,
OK, never heard of the guitar before, but it got pretty solid reviews so I doubt that's your issue. The DS-1 should provide more than enough gain for chugging palm mutes (I assume you have the Fender set to clean). Especially given your example with Ghost, who do not generally use very much distortion.

So assuming that all your equipment is functioning properly, that just leaves us with right hand technique. Did you check out the video that Slapsy linked above? The guy goes through what I was talking about with adjusting your palm on the bridge to get the right sound.
How do you have the settings on the DS-1? Too much gain is probably worse than too little, you just get a bunch of flub :P But I'm guessing it's technique. 
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I'm going to go ahead and say you need to get a new amp. What you're trying to do and aim for really can't be done with a $100 amp.I was struggling with my Vox vt20+ just as you were. I bought a used Peavey amp the the precise chug I wanted was there with ease. I don't even need my DS-1 anymore.
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head
w/Peavey 112 Speaker cab (Celestion Greenback)

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
If you're trying to emulate the tone in the video with a 1x8 combo amp, it's not really going to be possible. You should upgrade your amp with at least a 1x12 speaker or 2x12. You won't really come close with that small of an amp ..
I think the only way to know what's missing in the tone he's getting is if we get a recording. I don't think the size of the speaker should matter for getting a crunchy palm mute sound. That's pretty much purely distortion and technique based, and the DS-1 has more than enough distortion to produce that sound.

Speaking of speaker size, all you need to do is play a Yamaha THR10x with its little 3" speakers to know that a crunchy, chugging palm mute is definitely achievable no matter the speaker size, as long as they're actually functioning.
If you're drop tuned, I often find that hitting the low two strings together instead of just the low string gives you a chunkier sound, so long as you palm is positioned correctly.

Also make sure that you're hitting the strings hard enough. You don't need to go crazy, of course, but since you most likely have passive pickups, a wimpy hit will sound wimpy through the amp.
ExDementia I'm going to back up the guy above me and say that to achieve that kind of chug definitely doesn't need a new amp. That isn't a super duper meaty chug that requires a lot of bass and magnitude; you should be able to achieve it just fine if you experiment with different techniques.
Yep...........you need an amp with enough gain to "break up" from the bass component of the palm mute chug.

If it doesn't break up and create that "artificial treble" then you just get a low frequency bump sound.

Sometimes you need more bass to create more treble when you're working with distortion.

The "fabulous hudson hornet" once said...............Sometimes you have to turn right to go left.
Last edited by HowlerMonkey at Aug 9, 2017,
Also a big part of that chug can be sheer volume - not something you can easily substitute for and you're not going to get a decent tone at high volumes from a small 20 watt amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pffft. Ghost? That's like mid gain crunch territory. Should be easy to achieve this with your gear. Make sure to use bridge pickup, max volume and tone knobs and experiment with different palm positions. You need a 12 inch speaker for that low end but you should be able to get pretty close even with a practice amp and the DS1.
Hmm, most bad asses use the edge of their index finger as well as the pick to add more brootz to a down strum. It's almost the same technique you would use for doing pinch harmonics.
Zakk Wylde uses this technique to the point of covering his guitar in blood. \m/
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
Phantumgrey I think you're right. I was watching a video of someone who had my dream chug tone, and he told me all he was using was amp gain, but he had a huge Marshall with an amp head. Thanks for helping me out and thanks for the reply!
Quote by elliottjkraus
Phantumgrey I think you're right. I was watching a video of someone who had my dream chug tone, and he told me all he was using was amp gain, but he had a huge Marshall with an amp head. Thanks for helping me out and thanks for the reply!

Absolutely!! Do some research on amps and watch a lot of youtube videos. I even recommend after chosing a few amp models you think sound good and go play in a local guitar store that has them. Then if you don't want to drop huge bucks, find the amp you like used if you're on a budget like I was. I have already done a lot of looking before I got my peavey 6505+ so if you would like I can share what I have learned with you.

-I found for me tube amps are preferred, but I looked at SS amps too. Due to in home practicing I went looking specifically for combos with a 12" speaker.
-Great budget amps and good used models. Peavey 6505+ Combo, Peavey xXx,  bugera 333xl combo, Blackstar HT Stage 60. 

Those were the 4 amps I narrowed my personal list down to. I ended up getting the Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo because I can work with the cleans on this amp too. Check out the sounds on those amps and see what you like. Keep in mind I am no pro at playing so take what I say and just know I too am in the learning stages of choosing sound and what not, but this was the path I took in your position. 

If you do find something you like I'd be interested to know what you end up doing.
"It means a lot to me that my darkness can connect with your darkness and make it OK." - James Hetfield

Guitar: Ibanez S370
Seymour Duncan Pick ups
SH-4 JB (Neck)
Quarter Pound (Strat)
SH-6 Distortion (Bridge)

Amp:
Peavey 6505 Mini Head
w/Peavey 112 Speaker cab (Celestion Greenback)

Pedals:
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Fulltone OCD Overdrive