I'm not very experienced in this stuff, I wanna know if it's possible to make a guitar that can switch between square waves' duty cycles or a triangle wave. I'm just imagining how cool it would be to use the regular pickup switch to instead swap between those tones!

I've only seen some really complicated, clunky setups in videos, IIRC you can't do note bending and the guitar aspect of the instrument is basically lost. Perhaps a pedal?

Welcome any insight
I'd guess that a MIDI-capable guitar could feed a synth that offered those parameters.
I'm thinking the easiest path to that is through pedals, not modding the guitar.

It's probably also doable by installing something like a KAOSS pad in the lower bout of the guitar, kind of like in Matt Bellamy's customized axes, or that Ibanez RGKP6.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
As soon as I asked that I had the same thought you said about pedals! Any idea how much stuff like that would cost and how practical it is to find? I'm unfortunately a hardware-retarded musician for whatever reason (extends into computers and cars, etc. too) the technical stuff just doesn't resonate with me.
As you wish...

Last edited by zat48 at Aug 10, 2017,
Might be possible. I did just come up with a Fuzz Pedal circuit that does a pretty killer Atari 2600 missile/Dragon Killer approximations. I eventually want to build out such a device entirely that makes a guitar exactly what you describe, I may need to learn more about oscillators/filters before I can fully execute that, that and figure out how to get rid of the background noise even as video-gamey as it can be.

I think I mess with the Atari noises about 2-3 times in that video, the rest of it is me testing out everything from mild overdrive to flat out fuzz mainia type stuff. One of the best parts of Gamey-sounding stuff is at 17:17 - pretty much hits 8-bit NES territory almost.

My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at Aug 10, 2017,
This topic of "video game" sounds from guitars pops up every once in a while:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1674314
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1718938

Here's other pedals I know of I inexplicably didn't mention in those threads:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It might be possible to design an analogue / digital device to do this.

Basically fuzz pedals make square waves, so do this first then measure the frequecy with a a/d converted and a computer then control a digitally controlled analogue filter to cut out the even harmonics and leave in the odd ones, or just do it digitally then d/a convert back.

Tech to understand this is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_wave

(on the other hand  - it's probably alot easier to go down the midi route! - it's certainly not possible to design a pick-up to do this on it's own!)
Last edited by PSimonR at Aug 10, 2017,
A bitcrusher would probably be the closest you could get to this without having a midi guitar.