Page 1 of 2
Alright so I've become comfortable with tortex sharps and right now I'm using the .88mm ones. I more often than not play things along the lines of thrash metal and I was wondering how much better it would be if I were to gradually up my pick's thickness and how much i should do so.
It doesn't really matter if you are comfortable with what you use. A lot of metal guys like thicker picks for the staccato licks, but really it is all personal preference. A buddy of mine plays thrash and hardcore, uses 0.88mm and is fine. I play more proggy licks and I tend to prefer 1.14mm.

Really given our style we ought to switch per conventional wisdom, but what we use works - why change?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
If you're comfy with what you have now, I don't see much reason to change.

If you had a reason (like if you find your pick is flexing too much) then it would be easier to suggest something. That being said, picks are cheap so if you want to experiment, it's not the worst thing to waste some cash on. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
ExDementia I never felt right with the Jazz III, it seems to small for me since my fingers scrape against the strings when I use them. It bums me out since they have such a great rep with people I've noticed :-(
They make bigger Jazz IIIs (like the XL) if you're that curious. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R I always felt the XL kinda ruins the point of the Jazz III being as they're usually picked up for their size, right?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you're comfy with what you have now, I don't see much reason to change.

If you had a reason (like if you find your pick is flexing too much) then it would be easier to suggest something. That being said, picks are cheap so if you want to experiment, it's not the worst thing to waste some cash on. 

/thread
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by xenorae
H4T3BR33D3R I always felt the XL kinda ruins the point of the Jazz III being as they're usually picked up for their size, right?

Could be. I was never really crazy about them myself so I couldn't really tell you why people grab them. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, they really seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em sort of situation. The size feels weird at first for sure, but once I got used to it, I was hooked. I wouldn't say the small size is why people like them, I like the thickness and the sharp tip. It really helps with a slanted pick attack angle when doing fast tremolo or alternate picking across strings (IMO). Also, they seem to be ultra easy to pull pinch harmonics off with, but I suppose a lot of that has to do with how comfortable you are with them.

Never tried an XL version, but I just might have to.
I really like the Dunlop John Petrucci signatures - they are in between the Jazz III and the Jazz XL.  

To the OP - just buy a mixed pack of thick and medium picks and see what you like.  
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Just go out and buy some other picks and try them.  If I asked questions and tried what others have advised I would have never found the picks I love best, Dunlop Nylon .73mm, .88mm and 1mm's. The entire Jazz series IMHO are just awful, but that is my personal opinion.   
Quote by xenorae
I would say they're typically chosen for their pointy tip, which is why the larger versions exist. I've yet to find a pick that I'l totally happy with, but for the moment I'm using the John Petrucci Jazz IIIs, which are a bit larger than the regular ones and have a slightly different texture and profile.

That said, I agree with earlier posts - if you're happy with what you've got, stick with it. If you have a specific issue with what you've got, tell us and we can make suggestions, or you might be able to use that to figure things out for yourself. If you're not happy with what you've got, but you don't know what's wrong with it, get yourself a bunch of different picks and see what you get on with.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 5, 2017,
Quote by metalmingee
To the OP - just buy a mixed pack of thick and medium picks and see what you like.  

This is probably the best thing to do. A mixed pack was how I first tried Ultex Sharp 1.14s and those have become my go-to pick for most things, but I still like to mess around with other picks frequently. It's not uncommon for a guitar player to have several favorite picks--each is preferred for a particular guitar or playing style--rather than having a one-size-fits-all solution.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
I've yet to find a pick that I'l totally happy with, but for the moment I'm using the John Petrucci Jazz IIIs, which are a bit larger than the regular ones and have a slightly different texture and profile.

Try Ultex Sharp 1.14s.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by xenorae
Alright so I've become comfortable with tortex sharps and right now I'm using the .88mm ones. I more often than not play things along the lines of thrash metal and I was wondering how much better it would be if I were to gradually up my pick's thickness and how much i should do so.

I prefer harder picks - for the simple reason that they pick does exactly what you want it to without any flapping and you can dig in like crazy.  I think it takes more skill to properly play with a harder pick, but it's not always really necessary depending on the style.   Jazz and Prog players ( virtuosos etc.) tend to play with harder picks ( Dunlop Jazz etc.) because they're better suited for super  fast picking. It's really a personal preference thing however, see what resonates with you.  Some amazing players use 0.88, Marty Friedman for example, so it's not like that will stop you from being awesome. 
Quote by theogonia777
Try Ultex Sharp 1.14s.
I really don't like bigger picks made from Ultex, I find the tips crack and eventually break off too easily.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by theogonia777
This is probably the best thing to do. A mixed pack was how I first tried Ultex Sharp 1.14s and those have become my go-to pick for most things, but I still like to mess around with other picks frequently. It's not uncommon for a guitar player to have several favorite picks--each is preferred for a particular guitar or playing style--rather than having a one-size-fits-all solution.

Try Ultex Sharp 1.14s.

This. I tend to go for a thinner pick when I play my 12-string for example. I want something that gives a bit so chords sound complete and not disjointed. For bass (when I use a pick), I lick a really thick pick with a smooth bevel all the way around.

Experimenting is fun, I have more different picks than I could ever really put to use, but sometimes it is nice to just grab a different one and see what it adds or takes away.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I really don't like bigger picks made from Ultex, I find the tips crack and eventually break off too easily.

I've never had that problem.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I've never had that problem.
In all fairness, the ones I used were thinner but it still somewhat put me off the things and ultimately I don't see any particular advantage over the Petruccis.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
In all fairness, the ones I used were thinner but it still somewhat put me off the things and ultimately I don't see any particular advantage over the Petruccis.

They have a rhinoceros on them. Though the disadvantage is the flaxen color. I'll have to ask Dunlop if I can get packs in other colors because I have definitely seen them in other colors in variety packs I think.
Quote by theogonia777
They have a rhinoceros on them.
Okay, that's.... That's fair.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Okay, that's.... That's fair.

I sent a message to Dunlop asking if they are available in other colors. Let's wait and see what they say because if they are available in either red or black with a red rhinoceros they would be almost perfect.
Quote by ExDementia
Yeah, they really seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em sort of situation. The size feels weird at first for sure, but once I got used to it, I was hooked. I wouldn't say the small size is why people like them, I like the thickness and the sharp tip. It really helps with a slanted pick attack angle when doing fast tremolo or alternate picking across strings (IMO). Also, they seem to be ultra easy to pull pinch harmonics off with, but I suppose a lot of that has to do with how comfortable you are with them.

Never tried an XL version, but I just might have to.

Same here. The size is what can put you off, but the benefits already stated make me come back. Might have to try the XL as well, but we'll see.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Maybe try 0.96 which is the next increment and see if you like it. I would really go for something like a gator grips for busy riffing to ensure that the pick does not slip and I would focus on playing rather than on holding the pick.
Quote by theogonia777
This is probably the best thing to do.  A mixed pack was how I first tried Ultex Sharp 1.14s and those have become my go-to pick for most things, but I still like to mess around with other picks frequently.  It's not uncommon for a guitar player to have several favorite picks--each is preferred for a particular guitar or playing style--rather than having a one-size-fits-all solution.

Try Ultex Sharp 1.14s.

Concur.
I like a Dunlop Delrin 2mm on my Seagull & Guild, but don't like it on my Taylor (I go with an Ultex there).
I just use Fender 351s because I'm a pleb.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I've always used Dumlop Tortex .60's (15 years). I play rock/alternative/punk. I've never liked thick picks, but that's just me. Get a sampler pack that has a bunch of different picks and materials, see if you like anything other than what you currently use.

Also, see below:
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/How_to_Pick_your_Pick
Last edited by zat48 at Sep 6, 2017,
what happens with thicker picks is you can pick faster, or get out of the strings a lot faster and with more clarity, probably speed is up to your technique (personal preference anyway) im using andy james signature pick by dunlop, and thats like a 2mm pick, its a jazz shape. i was using the dunlop turtle pick, .70mm
All personal preference. I feel thicker picks are faster off the string, so for aggressive metal rhythm, they are a must for me. I was using those 2.0mm Dunlops for years, now I'm trying to find a balance and have been using the Petrucci sig ones.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I use different picks for different stuff. Probably own 75+ picks (many are duplicates) in 5-10 shapes in several thicknesses and made from a dozen different materials.

Some are cheap blue Fenders*, some are gimmie picks used for advertising or novelty purposes, some are made from exotic materials and cost $6-30 each. (I even have a 14kt gold one- I wear that one as a pendant on occasion; it will never be used.)

Each one has different qualities I like or dislike, pros & cons.

* one of which I gnawed into a curved shape similar to a movie monster claw. It's actually pretty cool to use due to the radically different tones generated by upstrokes and downstrokes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've slowly moved up in pick thickness -- most of what I use these days is 2mm-3mm and with a sharp point. Current favorite is a Gravity Picks Razer in 2mm.
Quote by dspellman
I've slowly moved up in pick thickness -- most of what I use these days is 2mm-3mm and with a sharp point. Current favorite is a Gravity Picks Razer in 2mm.

Thems bass picks!
Is it unusual to use .73s for meshuggah/prog/tech types of metal? lol, I find it so much easier to play fast with a thin pick rather than 1mm and above..
Quote by dementiacaptain
Thems bass picks!

Chappers, in fact, has a signature pick that's a Gravity Picks Razer 2mm with some custom bits.
Quote by theogonia777
It's not uncommon for a guitar player to have several favorite picks--each is preferred for a particular guitar or playing style--rather than having a one-size-fits-all solution.

This is true for me. I use Tortex .88s for most of my electrics, but I prefer .73s for acoustic, 1.0mm Primetones for my ambient/noise guitar, and Tortex 1.14s for surf because I feel like the .88s can't handle the .13-in-standard string tension properly.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by theogonia777
They have a rhinoceros on them. Though the disadvantage is the flaxen color. I'll have to ask Dunlop if I can get packs in other colors because I have definitely seen them in other colors in variety packs I think.

Hetfield sig picks are Ultex Sharps in custom black paintjob so if the color of dehydrated piss puts you off, buy Hetfields instead. 😁

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Hetfield sig picks are Ultex Sharps in custom black paintjob so if the color of dehydrated piss puts you off, buy Hetfields instead. 😁

That's even worse though!
Page 1 of 2