i saw this video a few months ago, of trey x. and dude was just chit chatting (the usual stuff), with glenn f. of SMG and somewhere in this video which i cant remember, trey said something like:

"the best day for a guitarist is when the pedalboard is finished (which i understand youre no longer adding) , (comma) and the day you get rid of it" 

and both just nodded and glenn didnt gave him any shit, which that guy i respect, hes got a lot done and seems to know a lot about stuff and production (blah)

i dont know but when you go on stage (and this would be my long term goal) on a band, solo artist, whatever, and you have a PA system in the back, and youre sound is very loud, clear. 
do you reaaaally need pedals? why do we buy pedals? 

personally, i want to get more out of the amp because right now my shit is whack, i have a 30w solid state amp by a cool brand (marshall) but i often think that maybe i need a wah and a od or something like that and maybe a fuzz. 

so this may be thoughts way ahead and over my head but since less is more, most of the times... should we have a list of the people we want to sell our gear to? 

(this is my chain (and i feel i got to stop buying shit)

Naga viper treble booster, a kartakou warmer overdrive, a little big muff, a ns-2 boss and the wah. still need to get that quilter labs pro tone block.
Pedals have their place in rigs, but it is true that they are inefficient in terms of cost and space and guitarists often get caught up in building up pedalboards that, without expensive digital switching systems, become pretty unmanageable. And at the end of the day, to a significant extent it's just another dick-measuring contest.

For those who are big pedal users, the result is often switching to multi-effects systems which offer more options and easier organisation, or, particularly for big names who can deal with the cost of having someone else organise it, digital switching systems to make it workable. There are exceptions, but you really have to have a strong preference for "tap dancing" to stick with it. For those who aren't big pedal users, the result is often downsizing to a handful of essentials.

There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't spend money on pedals if you want to, and that does ultimately give you more options if you have a collection, but when performing that's a lot of money and not a lot of convenience to be taking out on stage, so you probably do then want to think about "less is more". I have a pedalboard of I think 12 or so pedals, and I'm quite fond of them, but if I was gigging I'd just use my magic box of tricks in place of my entire rig. Easier to transport, use and troubleshoot, and gives me plenty of amps to choose from that I don't own in real life so I don't have to worry about how an effect relates to my Fender Twin.

Anyway, if you're running all that fancy stuff into an MG30 I'd definitely focus on the Quilter for now
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I have been looking for an all in one solution that could be run in place of a pedal board. The issue I've run into is that I can't find a multiFX unit that I can run that has a proper boost into the front of the amp. I would love something like the Amplifire or something cheaper like the Zoom G3Xn. I don't need anything fancy or boutique for my reverb and delay, because I generally don't use a whole lot of either, and I like the fact that these units have a built in tuner and noise gate.

Until that day comes, I'll still have my pedals.
Last edited by ExDementia at Sep 5, 2017,
That sentence might have been a flippant comment making fun of how much focus/work goes into pedalboards (and how freeing it can be to start fresh with more new toys). I'm not sure it's anything you need to take seriously or use to guide your choices, in any case. 

Obviously we don't "need" pedals, but I do know that we buy them for a whole bunch of different reasons, some of them legitimate. If your reasons are solid I don't see much point in taking guidance from some offhand youtube comment. If you're buying pedals for crappy reasons, then it's a good opportunity to think about that. But I'm not sure I put a whole lot of stock in the actual content of the quote. 

In any case, what you need is a new amp. 

P.S., Less is not more, less is less. Sometimes using or having less stuff pushes you to be better and make better art with what you have, but sometimes you genuinely need more to do more. Don't confuse the two! You can turn off pedals you do have, but you can't turn on pedals you don't have. That's what I tell myself, anyway. The idea is, justify your uses/purchases, but don't assume that having fewer pedals is going to magically turn you into Guitar Daredevil. 
And at the end of the day, to a significant extent it's just another dick-measuring contest.

why do we buy pedals?

Above notwithstanding, I usually buy pedals because they let me make sounds my guitars & amps couldn't.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Roc8995
P.S., Less is not more, less is less. Sometimes using or having less stuff pushes you to be better and make better art with what you have, but sometimes you genuinely need more to do more. Don't confuse the two! You can turn off pedals you do have, but you can't turn on pedals you don't have. That's what I tell myself, anyway. The idea is, justify your uses/purchases, but don't assume that having fewer pedals is going to magically turn you into Guitar Daredevil. 

Yeah, people sometimes get this idea in their heads that having more gear, more pedals, stuff like that limits creativity. I don't believe that at all, and for some players pedals are indispensable - that's just as legitimate a way of using the instrument as playing a guitar straight into an amp. If you let pedals be a distraction, they certainly can be, but for a serious player the potential disadvantages of pedals are practical ones - keeping an expansive rig quiet, dealing with a bunch of independently triggered footswitches and the number of points of failure on a big pedalboard, and moreover to an extent these disadvantages can be overcome. There's nothing inherently bad about giving yourself many pedal-shaped options.

Equally, as you say, it's worth justifying these purchases, because it's easy to think about "filling a spot" on a pedalboard which, in reality, is already entirely adequate for your needs. Then you just end up wasting cash.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Roc8995 i see your point and i can agree with you, its their own their experiences as guitar players that i take seriously. i have seen trey x. shred and some of his tutorials about how to record and write music, so i know he knows something about guitar, hehe
eduardongua
Lots of people know lots of things about guitar, but you've got to make your own call to some extent whether you agree with them. Michael Angelo Batio is by pretty much any measure a far better guitarist than I'll likely ever be, but I also doubt I'll ever hear him say anything sensible.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
K33nbl4d3 nice box, and yes it comes down to efficency when your talking pedals and amps. thats why the quilter, for the price and dimensions its perfect, but its also a high quality product, i dont see nothing boutique or fancy in the stuff i have, probably "boutique quality" or good construction, if a pedal is well built its already a big plus, so i need all 4 screws, and tight alright! hehe  
K33nbl4d3 that guy is too much!! i see him and i guess i get the same reaction people tend to lay on malmsteem... i dont like him at all and its not hate, he can shred but ugh... cant stand him lol
OTOH...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
37 years in and still have a pedal board. I don't use a bunch of pedals but that's beside the point. No expiration date on the bottom of it either. As for being "done" well that never truly happens either. Eventually you will replace pedals when something comes along you like better.
.i don't see the fuss about everybody ELSE is doing or saying, i have 30-40- pedals at the minute.  full board for four different rigs. they won't disappear.

if i was back to doing shitty bar gigs, i would pick up a POD hd 500x or something and run into the pa.

FWIW i have had several pods in the years and some of korg and a vox tone lab as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by eduardongua

"the best day for a guitarist is when the pedalboard is finished (which i understand youre no longer adding) , (comma) and the day you get rid of it" 

and both just nodded and glenn didnt gave him any shit, which that guy i respect, hes got a lot done and seems to know a lot about stuff and production

Pedal boards never end. I have two and a half of those big flaptop bins full of FX pedals (some of them vintage ), and the whole bunch represents some serious money spent, especially when some of them were $200+ pedals new. It's like a boat, which has been called a hole in the water that you toss money into. I don't think there's a day when you actually *stop* adding. Or maybe there are a whole ton of them, and each one is just temporary.

I finally went with a modeler when I realized that no one could really tell the difference between the various pedals but me, and when I realized that I couldn't rearrange them on the fly when I really thought that was a better thing, and when I realized that all those little connectors and power gizmos were eventually going to fail, and when I realized that the next time I used it, I really wanted it set differently, and I couldn't do that INSIDE a song, etc., etc., etc. At this point a Helix is just a whole lot easier to cart around.
The problem (or advantage depending on who you're talking to) is that with the internet and means like YouTube, you're always being exposed to new gear. And the stuff that is made nowadays is top quality for a reasonable price. And I agree with K33nbl4d3 it doesn't limit creativity. I know I bought a great pedal if I plug it in, starting jamming and realize that 2 hours has just flown by. 

If you knew what my signal chain(s) - I emphasize the plural, looked like, you're probably think I'm pedal mad. I'm going off the rails on my pedal train lol
If you've got the money, the time and love of trying new stuff out, I say do it. I've sold lots of pedals now, just filtering stuff out a bit. You're never gonna get more than 50% back from the investment, but yeah, that's life - enjoy it.
Hooper drives the boat chief...