the screamer seemed to suck my low end out, is that why some ppl prefer the maxon more?
the low end cut is part of what a tubescreamer to function as a boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the low end cut is part of what a tubescreamer to function as a boost.
hey whats up bro, been awhile, so does the maxon not do that though? I understand the plus of being able to cut through, but does the maxon ditch less low end?
Quote by SUDJIAN
hey whats up bro, been awhile, so does the maxon not do that though? I understand the plus of being able to cut through, but does the maxon ditch less low end?

I don't know, lol. the ts9, ts10 (maxon od808) are arr almost identical. just three or four different values.

look for a Ibanez bottom booster its pretty similar to the whole ts type thing. for me it has more girth than a ts.

or you could get a timmy or a flat boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I don't know, lol. the ts9, ts10 (maxon od808) are arr almost identical. just three or four different values.

look for a Ibanez bottom booster its pretty similar to the whole ts type thing. for me it has more girth than a ts.

or you could get a timmy or a flat boost.

Interesting indeed 
yeah low end cut is a characteristic of the tubescreamer... it makes it excellent for some things, but less good for other things.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with trashedlostfdup the TS9, TS10 and OD808 are all pretty close Maxon used to make the tubescreamers for Ibanez back in the day I have an early 80's TS9 that is built by Maxon.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Maxon was the original maker of Ibanez TS. They are now touted as a higher end version but are pretty much the same thing.
SUDJIAN Essentially.

If you want a tube screamer-ish sound in the sense that you're adding sustain and mids but the ability to keep your lows or add more, I'd pick the green rhino. The MKIV lets you dial all 3 EQ ranges, while the MKII does bass and treble with a 3rd (quite subtle, yet useful) knob for how smooth it sounds.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Sep 9, 2017,
Quote by SUDJIAN
Yeah but the big ques here is does the maxon cut the lows as bad.....

Omfg wtfbbq. It's the same damn pedal.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
Omfg wtfbbq. It's the same damn pedal.

Dont yell at me ill tell mom.

Ppl prefer one to the other so i still just find it hard to believe. Must be a reason.
Quote by SUDJIAN

Ppl prefer one to the other so i still just find it hard to believe. Must be a reason.

More about perceived quality of pedal than the sound. There may be some very minor differences in terms of sound but again very minor. If you want the benefits of a tubescreamer without the potential downside then get a TS style pedal with a bass control.

you've been told this before please listen this time
Quote by monwobobbo
More about perceived quality of pedal than the sound. There may be some very minor differences in terms of sound but again very minor. If you want the benefits of a tubescreamer without the potential downside then get a TS style pedal with a bass control.

you've been told this before please listen this time
no need for attitude.

I may ask several times because i might no be convinced until i get a few dif opinions. Ppl think they are right all the time and i used to believe everything from guitar guys then you end up totaly wrong.
Last edited by SUDJIAN at Sep 10, 2017,
for the record i've never been wrong.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
for the record i've never been wrong.
lol ok good to know lol.
Chiming in as well: the Mason & ibanez tube screamers are virtually indistinguishable in terms of tone. If you want more bass, you need to find one of the TS clones that gives you more tonal control. The Green Rhino is one. Personally, I really like the Jekyll & Hyde V2 or V3 by Visual Sound or TrueTone*.

* same company, different name.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by SUDJIAN
no need for attitude.

I may ask several times because i might no be convinced until i get a few dif opinions. Ppl think they are right all the time and i used to believe everything from guitar guys then you end up totaly wrong.

As you see there is no "other" opinion we are all saying the same thing. Don't know who you talked to before but the advice found on this board is usually spot on. If something incorrect is said it almost always gets corrected. People will have varying opinions on what's "best" however factual info won't change.
Quote by SUDJIAN
Sitting in hospital with blod clot, needed some entertainment.

In that case...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Chiming in as well: the Mason & ibanez tube screamers are virtually indistinguishable in terms of tone. If you want more bass, you need to find one of the TS clones that gives you more tonal control. The Green Rhino is one. Personally, I really like the Jekyll & Hyde V2 or V3 by Visual Sound or TrueTone*.

* same company, different name.

worth pointing out though- on the route 808 I have (and I assume the dual pedals are the same), the extra bass is only on a switch, so you only have two settings- stock tubescreamer (bass cut) and a lot more bass. I find it kind of useless as the extra bass is way too much. A knob would be much more useful IMO.

(Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice pedal apart from that, but I just find the bass knob kind of pointless- there are better pedals to look at if your main beef with the tubescreamer design is too much bass cut.)

Quote by SUDJIAN

well, as you implied yourself in a later post, guitarists say a lot of things. you're sort of believing the people who say there's a big difference and not believing we who say there isn't.

i mean, guitarists always seem to want to think they've found the holy grail and that everyone who uses something else is silly.

fwiw i think the maxon is true bypass while the ibanez is buffered.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by monwobobbo
As you see there is no "other" opinion we are all saying the same thing. Don't know who you talked to before but the advice found on this board is usually spot on. If something incorrect is said it almost always gets corrected. People will have varying opinions on what's "best" however factual info won't change.

Ok ok
If you wnat a TS that doesn't suck too much low end out, try some of the boost pedals Misha mansoor of Periphery uses. 
Quote by Dave_Mc
fwiw i think the maxon is true bypass while the ibanez is buffered.

Yes the TS9 is buffered even the old Maxon built versions, also some of the old Maxon built TS9s were made with different op-amp chips so they sound different.

http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

^ yeah sorry for the confusion there, I meant the actual maxon-branded ts9 was true bypass. as you rightly said, the ibanez-branded but maxon-built ts9s are buffered.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The louder I crank this head the more I realize I just love its natural sound.  
SUDJIAN 

If you can get away with cranking a 6505+, it doesn't really need an OD.  You have to run your bass/resonance fairly low though; around 3-4.  In practice though, the volume where it starts sounding good without an OD is not really conducive to keeping my marriage intact. 

With an OD boost, it sounds great at any volume.  And I still like the tone a little better even when cranked to gig levels.
Quote by KailM
SUDJIAN

If you can get away with cranking a 6505+, it doesn't really need an OD.  You have to run your bass/resonance fairly low though; around 3-4.  In practice though, the volume where it starts sounding good without an OD is not really conducive to keeping my marriage intact.

With an OD boost, it sounds great at any volume.  And I still like the tone a little better even when cranked to gig levels.

Yeah I hear yeah, except I'm single so no one to piss off, I tell the neighbors I'll keep it under an hour and they are cool. Im still gonna test a few pedals for boost, the spark mini, the maxon, and the mxr 10 band eq.  Trying to find a mesa cab right now but from GC most are pretty beat up at the 450 mark.
Quote by KailM
SUDJIAN 

what od do u prefer
I never thought that the 6505 family needed a boost really unless you were djenting. For the type of music you like, you probably would do better without one.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I never thought that the 6505 family needed a boost really unless you were djenting.  For the type of music you like, you probably would do better without one.

Yeah I mean I play and listen to everything, i can play that shit pretty good but it gets old fast, so many bands are trying to out djent each other with this mathematical stuff that the soul is sucked out of the songs. 

May still get one for when when I wanna do that more. Your right though, that's what I felt I heard too, it makes your low end more cutty for faster one noters like that. I noticed it sounded good for when I play songs of holy wars from megadeth.