Hi all,

Started playing guitar about 6 months ago, and I love it. I have a Yamaha electric/acoustic guitar, but that's only guitar right now. I love playing blues, and think it's time for me to get my first electric. What are some good brands/models to look for? My budget is around $600-700.

Thanks!
Is there particular shapes and looks you prefer? Thin necks? Thick necks? Would you want a guitar with a trem or just a standard hard tail? Where are you located and are you willing to buy used?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I definitely want a thinner neck, and I love the look of both Strat and Tele. I would prefer trem, but not a deal breaker. I am located in Lansing, MI, and would prefer new but am willing to buy used
Also, does that budget include something to play guitar through?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Where you are, you might be able to find good deals on Godin or Reverend guitars, especially in the used market. But both have models in your price range even new.

Epiphone or Ibanez semihollow guitars might also be good options.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd look into a Agile Septor Pro or Interceptor Pro for the best deal in mid-range guitars. 
A lot of blues guitars have covered humbuckers which are said to make your tone less bright. If you look for Strats, Les Pauls and Gibsons with them then you are looking at a guitar that could be leaning towards the blues. You can use open coils just as good but it seems blues have this sort of feature as well being hollow-body, but that combination can get expensive. However have you seen some stuff from Gretsch? Affordable hollow body with covered humbuckers, Bigsby tremolo on some of them.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
SRVfan717 
Get Yamaha Pacifica 611 or one with trem. 
Great value for the money, can't be beaten at this price range. 

Or there is also Revstar 6xx to 8xx series, check them out too. 
Last edited by eleisonua at Sep 11, 2017,
Quote by SRVfan717

I love playing blues, and think it's time for me to get my first electric. What are some good brands/models to look for? My budget is around $600-700.

A few days ago, someone on another website alerted me to a tobacco-burst Agile AL-3000M on my local Craigslist, asking price $195 *with hardshell case*.
This: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000m2ts.html

Within 18 hours, I'd negotiated for and picked up the guitar. This is well beyond a beginner guitar, honestly. It's an LP-alike with multi-layer binding like an LP Custom on body and headstock, and single-layer binding on the fretboard. The fretboard is ebony with abalone inlays, a 14" radius, hand-filed jumbo frets, TUSQ nut, good tuners and very good AlnicoV humbuckers. Perfect condition (no dings, no fretwear, etc.). Even the case is in good shape. It weighs a ton (I'm guesstimating around 10 lbs), sounds great.

A month or two before that I picked up a P90 CSB-finish version of the same guitar, same condition for $250 in a local pawn shop.

Either of these guitars is capable of not only beginner electric guitar use, but professional gigging as well, with no apologies.

The moral of the story, I guess, is to keep your eyes and ears open; the used market has some gems.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 11, 2017,