Can anyone suggest any seriously cheap electric guitars with a half decent body and neck with rubbish electronics, tuners etc. Preferably something based on a strat
For what purpose? Are you trying to practice modding things?

Budget? Location? New or Used?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My Vietnamese-made (not Chinese!!) Peavey Raptor Plus Exp fits that description exactly. It cost Oz$65 in the hock shop stock clearance sale, only weighs 5 1/4 lb, and has a good neck and frets. The hardware and electronics were OK, but not good. The pickups were very much better than I expected, but I wanted a different kind of sound.
Quote by Tony Done
My Vietnamese-made (not Chinese!!) Peavey Raptor Plus Exp fits that description exactly. It cost Oz$65 in the hock shop stock clearance sale, only weighs 5 1/4 lb, and has a good neck and frets. The hardware and electronics were OK, but not good. The pickups were very much better than I expected, but I wanted a different kind of sound.

Agreed.  Peavey Raptor Plus at GC from $70.
Ippon 

I should have explained. I also had a Chinese-made one, it was heavier and the neck and frets was nowhere near as well finished as the Vietnamese one. I've seen several from each country, and the Vietnamese ones were consistently lighter than the Chinese ones, but I didn't look closely at the necks and frets. - So it is a question of caveat emptor..
A used Squier would be good or maybe a used Vintage Icon might be decent. 

If you don't mind going used you can maybe try to find older USA Peavey's like the Raptor or a Predator or maybe an older Aria guitar but I'm not sure if they're quite as easy to find in the UK. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Affinity Strats are excellent for this, their neck design is really comfortable and you can usually get very low action on them with minimal setup. They can usually use a graphtech nut + string trees (rollers or graphtech), some locking tuners and a pickup upgrade and they are good to go.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V