Good Afternoon,

I updated my amp from firmware 1.70 to 1.66 because of freezing. After the update the amp completely turned off. I turned it back on and when the guitar isnt plugged in the light show happens like normal, but as soon as i plug it in the settings show like normal but immediately flashes a few effects and goes black. nothing works now.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks! 
You can try updating the firmware again in case something went wrong there.  Maybe your amp is still freezing?  

There's a forum on Peavey's site that may have more info too.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee I cant. As soon as i plug the guitar into it the whole thing shows the first setting in the bank then shows a couple of lights, then goes black and nothing happens.

I let peavey know but they havent responded.
Check the forums on Peavey's support site.  They normally have folks there that can help you.  It may also be the gods' way of saying it's time to buy a Mesa. . . 
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee lol, Ive been back and forth on both forums and this is the only one that had someone reply. And its funny, I was thinking of getting a Mesa, but I have the sanpera shit and most of my pedals are for the Vypyr and I dont want to throw that money away. lol
Blckspawn Gotcha.  I have the Vypyr 30W all solid state version and if I ran into the problem you're having it wouldn't be worth fixing.  

With the tube version maybe you are having an issue with the tubes.  I know they have power tubes but I'm not sure about a phase inverter.  How old are those tubes?  It may be worth putting in a new set but that's a decent expense if it doesn't fix the problem - I never paid much attention to what was unique with the tube models since I didn't have one.  

You can always sell the Sanpera controller - it's still used on the new VIP models too I believe so there's a market for them still.  

What pedals do you have for the Vypyr?  The selling feature was that the effects and tuner are all built in.  
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee The tubes are about 2 years old. I replaced them when I had an issue 2 years back. Everyone said it was the tubes so I replaced them. Turned out a cable inside the unit became unplugged. lol

I only have a noise gate, EQ, and tuner which I can use with any amp really, but I liked the fact that he amp already had effects in it so I didnt need a billion pedals. 
Also for some reason I was permanently banned from the Peavey forums for asking the exact same question as originally posted. :/
BlckspawnThat's pretty odd. Maybe more of a reason to go with a Mesa . This is the issue with computerized amps - once they malfunction it's typically not worth the cost of repairing and you run into eprom/chip/nvram issues.

Evaluate your options and go play a bunch of amps. I thought that my Vypyr sounded great at first and then the tone wasn't as fulfilling. That led me to a Randall RG then to a Peavey 5150 then to a Mesa Roadster and Laney IRT-Studio.

Turns out I'm a big fan of versatile tube amps. . . at least for now. . . .
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee I played the 6505+ ealrier and i lied it other than the lead stuff. I want to get my hands on a 5150 and a Mesa and see how they sound. I took the amp in to get looked at and if its too expensive ill buy one of those.

Which one of those do you like the most?
Blckspawn Well it's really up to you. By 5150 I meant the Peavey 5150 - same as a 6505, not the EVH 5150 III for what it's worth. The Peavey 6505+ is the same as a Peavey 5150 II.

The biggest turn off for me was the lack of versatility on the 5150 - the clean channel was blah, the crunch isn't foot switchable on that amp, the constant need for a noise gate, added EQ in the loop, etc. That led me to ultimately replace it with the Mesa Dual Rec Roadster. The Roadster covers so many different tones and does a very, very good job at all of them from Fender cleans to tweeds to crunch to 80's metal to thrash to heavier. I also got a great deal on the Mesa so that helped the decision.

A few months ago I picked up the Laney IRT-Studio for more quiet (headphones with an added v30 IR via the laptop) and still able to use my pedal board and this amp is impressive as well. Very versatile.

My definition of versatile is kills it for thrash metal, has a great clean channel, and does other tones in between well.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee Thats wy I like the Vypyr 60. I can do so many different sounds. Not just super heavy. Can you get a good lead tone out of the roadster? I dont want to have to buy a shit load of pedals to get one either. Maybe a boost and a couple others.
Blckspawn Absolutely. Channel 3, 50W, Vintage, Presence all the way off is the liquid Recto tone. . . It's hard to get a bad sounding tone out of the amp after you learn the controls but the Roadster has a crap load of knobs and switches. You do need to read the manual several times. . .
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Blckspawn I got a used 212 combo with the Mesa V30s for $1100. . . . Mint. Came with JJ's installed and the original Mesa tubes in the JJ boxes, slip cover, and even the original Mesa printed manual. It was listed for $1250 and I negotiated down. Best deal I've ever seen on one, which is why I snagged it.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by Blckspawn
 Good Afternoon,

I updated my amp from firmware 1.70 to 1.66 because of freezing. After the update the amp completely turned off. I turned it back on and when the guitar isnt plugged in the light show happens like normal, but as soon as i plug it in the settings show like normal but immediately flashes a few effects and goes black. nothing works now.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks! 

Hey dude. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Not sure I can help. I still have my Vypyr 60. Great piece of kit for $250. I still use it and I have a Splawn Quick Rod and Mesa Rectoverb.

I honestly know very very little about the firmware versions and patches etc because mine has been fine all this time (5 yrs?). You mentioned you 'upgraded' from 1.70 to 1.66. That seems like a step back no? Did you read somewhere that that is what you needed to do. Go from 1.7 to 1.6? Where did you read that? Can you point me to it? Like with computers and routers if you perform an 'upgrade' and it doesn't work you 'fall back' to what you had before. Sounds like you would try that if you could even get to that point?

You mentioned that if you don't plug the guitar in then it seems to be OK, it is when you plug the guitar in that it dies. Is that correct? What happens if you plug the Peavey 7pin cable (i think that is right) in? Have you tried pressing and holding in some of the knobs while you turn the amp on? I think I read somewhere that that has some affect.

I seriously doubt this is a tube problem. This has firmware glitch written all over it me thinks. I'm not a amp tech or expert though by any means.

Also, there is NO reason you should have been banned on the Peavey web site. I was also going to recommend that as there is a lot of good info there and there used to be Peavey employees posting there - not sure about that anymore. Maybe I missed something. They have a dedicated Vypyr sub forum - is that were you asked? I would ask a Mod there to either unban you allow you to come back in under a different user name.

OK. Good luck.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 13, 2017,
311ZOSOVHJH 

I read somewhere that 1.7 was giving problems with freezing and since it wasnt an official patch put out by peavey it could do that. So going back to 1.59 was the best option because it was more stable. 

And when I dont have it plugged in to the guitar I tried resetting it by holding down the 1 and 2 buttons and it did reset the presets but still turned off when I plugged in a guitar.

And I emailed the admin for peavey and im not banned anymore. But no one has yet to answer my post, so im kinda stuck.

I took it to peavey repair shop down the road and they are looking at it right now so I wont know anything until I get it back.