This has been asked before.....so I am going to ask it again....your welcome.
I'm looking for a guitar.
If you have played either of these guitars I'd like to know your opinions on quality....they are both 499 used.
If you have opinions on a better quality guitar from Jackson or Dean or Ibanez in the 600 or less category please let me know.....
I want something with EMG or a good set of Duncan's....pointy corners and sexiness oozing from every inch.....
I'm not interested in fat schecters or Metallica fanboy esp
GEAR
DCR Stealth #7 (96 of 100)
2010 Gibson Classic Goldtop
2014 Gibson Pro Hummingbird
BIAS FX Pro
Hi, people here in general all hate Dean guitars and praise jacksons. I personally have Dean razorback 255 with emg81 85 and I can recommend razorback V. Great sustain, comfortable to play, really good neck. Overall great guitar for me, can't say same thing about jackson since I never played on one.
The one I was looking at seems to just have one EMG and a humbucker on neck.
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Last edited by nutterbutters at Sep 11, 2017,
kambel79 ok so here is another question how do you know if your looking at a 255 (Korea I'm guessing?) or a different model.....I'll attach a link to the one I'm looking at?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Dean/Dimebag-Razorback-V-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc this one seems to have a Seymour Duncan

And this one has the one EMG
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Dean/Dime-Razorback-V-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Last edited by nutterbutters at Sep 11, 2017,
Nice attitude there Nutterbutter.

Anyway, i'd never buy a Dean, let alone a cheap one, i find them horribly tacky, fizzy sounding. Jackson gets my vote here. 
AEnesidem have you played any of the RR series and is there any jacksons people should avoid? What's wrong with my attitude I'm a nice dude!
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
A bit of a passive aggressive tone in that OP

Yeah the RR series are fine, apart from th efact that the one my friend had was quite neck heavy, but that can be fixed. Apart from that i don't have much bad to say about Jackson. Never had bad experiences with their quality
The X-Series Jackson are solid guitars. And Rhoads models look great. Depending on how old it is, it could be made in India or in Indonesia. And two manufacturers have made them in Indonesia. All of them were/are good guitars.
dthmtl3
Now with the RR series if it says like rr5 or rr3 higher number means better quality? And do all rr5 have same pick ups and are they pretty decent??
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Op by 255 I meant fretboard, mine is 25"5 long so it's lil bit longer than 24"75 or whatever.
Well currently and for the last couple of years, Jackson lower-mid range line is the X-Series and the upper mid-range line which is the Pro Series. All the X-Series are similar quality but some may come with brand-name pickups, others with generic. The Pro Line are all similar quality. There's no quality difference in a current RR, RR3, RR24, RRMG.

But if you're talking about the old Japanese models, then things are different, and I do believe that an RR5 has better features than an RR3, but I'm not an expert on the old Japanese Jacksons.
nutterbutters kambel79 I own several MIJ Jackson guitars and I also own a Korean made Dean, I have owned other Dean's in the past a Razorback DB that was Korean and 2 cheap VX models that were Chinese.

The Razorback DB was a non tremolo guitar and build wise it was a good guitar it had a good neck beautiful finish and overall build quality was great it was a very playable guitar but the electronics really let it down it had cheap pickups as well as a cheap switch and jack, pots and wiring. I was a decent guitar I got it cheap and it came with a nice factory hard shell case, in the end I sold it because for me all of the electronics needed to be gutted and upgraded and the resale value didn't justify doing that.

The VX were cheap guitars that had good necks but they really needed to be shimmed in order to get the action where I would have liked it, but overall below average build quality on both the first one was a gift for my son who really never put any effort into learning so I took the guitat over the second was a pawn shop find that I bought just so I could use the neck and grover tuners for another project.

My Korean Dean Split Tail is a wonderful guitar in every way it has exellent build quality, fit/finish and playability the neck binding and fretwork are exellent but this guitar retailed new for like $1000-$1200 and it is at that price point where Dean guitar start to get good the cheaper models are pretty hit or miss as far as quality which is one of the reasons you won't often get recommendations for buying lower models there are some goods ones out there but you really need to get hands on before buying and even then some upgrades will be necessary like new pickups and tremolo.

I have heard some of the X series Jacksons can be hit or miss but have not heard anywhere near the amount of negative feedback as the cheap Deans although I really don't have any experience with these other that test a handful at music stores.

My advice for your budget would be to go used the used MIJ Jacksons are a great deal, in the U.S. used MIJ Jacksons are readily available and can range anywhere from $250-$500 depending on the model and condition. I paid $499 for my MIJ RR3 Eerie Dess Swirl it was in near mint condition and had the factory Jackson Bloodline hard case ,I paid $350 or less for my other Japanese Jacksons and all are in excellent to near mint condition.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine
I've been looking at a few MH1000 deluxe LTD guitars....what would be a similar build quality Jackson....essentially I'm going to order two guitars play them and make my pick.
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Evilnine
I'm afraid after reading up on the dean razorbacks' I'm spending 100 bucks just on the name Razorback and Dean
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
The 1000 series LTD's are fairly equivalent to the quality of the MIJ Jackson Pro Dinkys. Though the fretwork on the MIJ Jacksons from the 20 or so I've played over the years is more consistently good than the half dozen LTD 1000's I've played. But you don't really need to upgrade the Floyd on the LTD's while the old MIJ pro Dinkys have a licensed Floyd that could do with being upgraded.

Once the Floyd is upgraded on the Jacksons to an original Floyd though, I sure as hell know which guitar I'd rather have.

With the Dean Dime guitars in general you are paying an awful lot for the name to the point that you can get better quality guitars from other brands for less.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
nutterbutters T00DEEPBLUE I agree on paying way too much for Dime's name being attached to the guitar, interestingly you would be hard pressed to find any images or video footage of Dime playing a Razorback while he did design the guitar as well as many of the finishes he was sadly killed on the eve of the photoshoot for Dean's launch of the Razorback series thus the guitars were launched posthumously. People hate on Dean for what they feel is taking advantage of Dime's name for profit but his family gave Dean their blessing and IMO it is not any different than Jackson using randy Rhoads name still today even after he was killed in 82 but that just my two cents.   `

I agree with the consistancy of the MIJ Jacksons in fact I have owned and played models from almost the entire run of manufacturing at the Chushin Gakki factory I currently own a 89 Charvel 93 KingV Professional and a 2010 RR3 and DK2M I have others from the 2000s and build quality, fretwork, fit/finish and playability are consistant throughout surprisingly I never have any issues with the Takeuchi lisenced Floyd on my 93 King V it was a stable system all the way up until I evenyually replaced it with an OFR a few years ago IMO it was a much better trem than the JT580LP which are not terrible but I am not a fan of.

The LTD 1000 seires guitars will suit your needs and I may be biased but i would still recommend an MIJ Jackson.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 14, 2017,
Evilnine
Is it cool if I message you some of the jacksons I am looking at?
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
T00DEEPBLUET00DEEPBLUE[/USER
Same to you if I emailed you some to get your opinion?
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Why don't you just post them here? 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
The JS is a beginners guitar and doesn't compare to the others. The newer Indonesians are neck-through, the older Japanese are apparently set necks. It comes down to what you prefer, or if you want a Floyd. One of them is in "fair" condition, I wouldn't get that. Any of the 4 non-JS will be a good guitar. People here think very highly of used Japanese Jacksons, if I were to go that route I would wait for something that is in a better condition than just "good.
For those prices I would look harder for a Japanese model, I have heard and experienced a lot of hit or miss on the Indonesian Pro models mostly sharp fret ends, I do have one post Japan Pro model DK2MHT thatis comaparable in every way to any of my MIJ's but it is not Indonesian it was made in the Fender plant in Mexico.

The DKMG and DKMGT guitars are great I own one of each and have no complaints about either, the first one that I listed has EMGHZ passive pickups with a 10db boost the pickups are not that greta IMO the boost helps, I have that exact guitar in a hard tail version that has a EMG 81/85 set 18V modded with the 10db boost still in tact and it will absolutely melt your face. $399 is a good price for those I still see them sell from time to time for $400-$500 depending on condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Jackson-Dinky-Reverse-Electric-Guitar-w-Bag-MIJ-/322676265468?hash=item4b210111fcoykAAOSwT-lZnvIL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-DKMGT-Green-Flame-Electric-Guitar-Authorized-Dealer-Made-In-Japan-/332287595307?hash=item4d5de2532b:g:PQIAAOSwZ4dZLcW2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-RX10D-TB-V-shape-electric-guitar-Made-in-Japan-y1376-/192303909892?hash=item2cc634cc04:g:h-wAAOSw~FJZL0kp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Kelly-Electric-Guitar-Made-in-Japan-/192175619927?hash=item2cbe8f3f57:g:gWEAAOSwcgNZCLA1
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

pass on the dean. I have yet to hold one in my hand that was worth the price tag. and people dog on gibsons. :evil: (not that I don't feel similar ways)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dthmtl3

How the hell do you know what's made in Japan. Can't anyone just put a made in japan sticker and call it good unless you get serial numbers??
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Quote by nutterbutters
dthmtl3

How the hell do you know what's made in Japan. Can't anyone just put a made in japan sticker and call it good unless you get serial numbers??

The stickers are typically placed on the back of the neck near the neck joint and are not really durable a couple of times polishing the neckk can destroy the MIJ sticker if your not careful.

6 or 7 digit serial numbers will tell if it is MIJ

6 Digit Serials
Starts w/ | Type of Jackson Guitar
0-5 | Professional (MIJ) [or No Series (MIJ) for 1995], first digit denotes year (0=1990, 5=1995)
6 | 1996 No Series (MIJ)
90-95 | Fusion (MIJ), first two digits denotes year (90=1990, 95=1994)
96 | 1996 No Series MIJ before switch to 7 digit serial

7 Digit Serials
Starts w/ | Type of Jackson Guitar
1 | Performer (MIK)
94 | 1994 MIJ Concept guitars, first two digits denotes year (only made in 1994)
9 | 1996+ MIJ (all MIJ series, even JS MIJ), started with 96xxxxx and went up sequentially (97,98, etc)

That is a good deal for that RR3 if you look at the neck picture on that one you can actually see the Made in Japan sticker right above the neck plate, but the RR3's are good guitars my friend has owned 3 of them and still has one and I snagged a near mint RR3 with a swirl finish for $500 with the Jackson factory Bloodline case a few years back:

- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Evilnine
I think if I'm going to get a Jackson I'll get an RR5

I have owned a DKMG or dkmgt whichever has the Floyd but I was 13 years old and only played limp bizkit songs
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Evilnine
Heck yeah that's like the one I had except mine was a green and only 300 bucks that's not bad!
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Quote by nutterbutters
dthmtl3

You can tell by model names. They haven't used those Japanese model designations until just recently. RR5, painted RR24 are Japanese. This year they started using RR3 and RR24 again but you those have oiled necks not painted ones. And yes, they did use "made in Japan" stickers but no guarantee on a used one that it's still there or if it is that it's going to be visible on a picture.
dthmtl3
What would a guitar with serial number
ICJ1501793 be?
Can't find anything on that one.
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
It would be an Indonesian guitar made by Cort in 2015
dthmtl3[/USER
I - Indonesian
C - Cory
J - Jackson
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Quote by nutterbutters
Evilnine
I think if I'm going to get a Jackson I'll get an RR5

I have owned a DKMG or dkmgt whichever has the Floyd but I was 13 years old and only played limp bizkit songs

Well then since this is at my local GC I might just have to add it to my collection of MIJ's 

Quote by nutterbutters
Evilnine
Heck yeah that's like the one I had except mine was a green and only 300 bucks that's not bad!

The one I have now is in black forrest green and I scooped it up for $300, I have not however played any Limp Biscuit on it.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 15, 2017,
Evilnine
Limp Bizkit are de greatest guitar players Evers.

Evilnine  Up till around 11 last night narrowing down the search. I'm still kind of shocked that a 20 year old RR can pull value like a 5 year old LTD 
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Quote by nutterbutters
Evilnine
Limp Bizkit are de greatest guitar players Evers.

Evilnine  Up till around 11 last night narrowing down the search. I'm still kind of shocked that a 20 year old RR can pull value like a 5 year old LTD 

It's funny I was just a teenager when Charvel/Jackson began to import from Japan and it was all we could do to afford one of those if we were lucky, most of us removed the Made In Japan stickers because the imports really didn't get any repect, fast forward 15 years and the quality of the MIJ Jacksons is well established and the guitars get the respect I suppose they always deserved. Some of the prices on the jacksons that you listed were sort of high for me but it all depends on the local market, which model it is, and of course condition I paid $500 for my 2010 RR3 but it looks like it is a brand new guitar also it has the Eerie Dess swirl finish that was more expensive than the standard finisheses were when new also it has the period correct factory case with the Jackson Bloodline sticker on it.

Conversely I paid only $250 for my 1989 Charvel Fusion Custom again in next to new condition the average U.S. price for a MIJ import is probably in the $350-$400 range.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 15, 2017,
Evilnine
I have a serial number on a Jackson excellent shape RR Pro it's a 6digit number 061246 would this be a Japanese made one? Japanese have 6 7 and 8 digits correct?
GEAR
BIAS FX Pro
Quote by nutterbutters
Evilnine
I have a serial number on a Jackson excellent shape RR Pro it's a 6digit number 061246 would this be a Japanese made one? Japanese have 6 7 and 8 digits correct?

MIJ is 6 and 7, the 8 digit serial numbers are MII (India) and MIT (Taiwan)

Using this guide your guitar will be either a 1990-1995 Professional series or 1995 No series (see green highlight). 

Now this is if it is a bolt on and a Professional series should say Professional on the headstock after the Jackson logo in smaller font, if it is a neck thru and says only Pro then you have a Pro series which are the cream of the crop the serial number on this will be on the fretboard after the last fret.

Here is a complete guide to import serial numbers that a member of JCF Online posted keep in mind this was last updated in 2010 so there will not be any Indonesian numbers here in theis case MII means Made in India

6 Digit Serials Starts w/ | Type of Jackson Guitar  
0-5 | Professional (MIJ) [or No Series (MIJ) for 1995], first digit denotes year (0=1990, 5=1995)   
6 | 1996 No Series (MIJ)  90-95 | Fusion (MIJ), first two digits denotes year (90=1990, 95=1994)   
96 | 1996 No Series MIJ before switch to 7 digit serial

7 Digit Serials Starts w/ | Type of Jackson Guitar  
1 | Performer (MIK)   
94 | 1994 MIJ Concept guitars, first two digits denotes year (only made in 1994)   
9 | 1996+ MIJ (all MIJ series, even JS MIJ), started with 96xxxxx and went up sequentially (97,98, etc)

8 Digit Serials Starts w/ | Type of Jackson Guitar  
00-04 | JS (MII), X (MII) or very early JS30xx (MII) [2004 only], first two digits denotes year (00=2000, 04=2004)   
6 | JS (MIT), probably the first digit denotes year (6=1996)   
96-99 | JS (MII) or X (MII) first two digits denotes year (96=1996, 99=1999)

9 (or 10) Digit Serials Starts w/ | Type of Jackson Guitar   
2 | JS30xx (MII), first four digits denotes year, 10th digit added at start of 2008
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge