I have a 96 MIA Hot Rod Deville that is a 2x12. I want to remove the chassis and build a head cabninet for it. I’ve never messed with tube amps but I do know that there are dangers with the caps holding power and I know they need to be drained before touching the chassis. My question is how do I relocate the tubes to make it fit inside a reasonable size head, I’d like to keep the reverb tank in the head. Does it matter which way the tubes are sitting? Besides draining the caps should I be worried about anything else on the board shocking me? The design is like to have is control panel on the front of the head any help would be much appreciated. I can take pics of the inside of the amp if I need to and I’m not worried about modifying the chassis I’ve got a better condition 96 MIA Hot Rod Deville 4x10.
I wouldn't relocate anything in the chassis.  I'd rotate the whole cassis 90 degrees and have a deeper than average head.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by shown50
CorduroyEW I had thought about that but I read on another forum when I was researching this that the tubes had to be oriented towards the ground so the filaments wouldn’t sag and cause a short over time. I have a Peavey Windsor Head with a 4x12 cab that was my first tube amp and it’s a pretty large head but i haven’t had problems moving it to different venues so that’s definitely a good idea.
shown50 It is true that a blown valve filament will likely sag and short  at some point while you own the amp but that is why we have a fuse.  The fuse blows not the amp.   Keep an extra set of valves and a couple spare fuses on hand (think of it like having an extra set of strings) and it won't be a big deal.  You don't want to run an amp with a bad tube anyway because that can blow up other expensive parts.  Most heads have the valves facing up because it stops overheating.
I don't think "sagging filaments" is a thing. The Carvin TS-100 is a 50W/50W two-unit rack mount tube power amp that has, for maybe a quarter century, had the tubes mounted horizontally in order to fit the rack setup. It's not the only two-unit rack mount that operates this way, and it uses ordinary EL34 and/or 6L6 power tubes and four 12 AX7 tubes as well. The design has changed slightly over the years (two of the 12AX7s are sometimes mounted vertically), but the power tubes are always horizontal. Never an issue.

BTW, what CAN be an issue are the transformers. While they can be mounted horizontally or vertically without a performance issue, you want to be sure that the chassis is strong enough to handle them if they're mounted horizontally. They can seriously bend your chassis (as we found out when we dropped an amp head once).
Quote by dspellman
I don't think "sagging filaments" is a thing. 

It is a thing but only with some valves and only happens when the valve is dying anyway.  I know it's pretty common in an EL84.  If it happens it means the valve was dead anyway so it doesn't hurt the lifespan of the valve and if you use the proper fuse in your amp it's not going to damage the amp either so it just isn't a big deal.
Quote by dspellman
BTW, what CAN be an issue are the transformers. While they can be mounted horizontally or vertically without a performance issue, you want to be sure that the chassis is strong enough to handle them if they're mounted horizontally. They can seriously bend your chassis (as we found out when we dropped an amp head once).

Very good point. 
Can the ribbon cables connecting the boards with the tubes to the main board because if they can then moving the tubes would be pretty easy anybody know?
Hi! I have a music competition coming soon and would really like a good song to play, but also with a good (not too hard!) solo in the middle to sound best. Thanks!